We Need You!
We've been working on Chiaro and the Elixir of Life for more than 2 years now, and we're immensely proud of the game our small indie studio has made so far.
Throughout the course of the several-hour-long adventure, players build machines and bring them to life, solve deeply engaging puzzles, form an unbreakable bond with a steam-powered penguin, and work their way through an epic, character-driven story that will decide the fate of human and machine life in Neverain.
Now, as our team approaches the finish line, we need your support!
We want to make Chiaro the best game it can possibly be, out of respect for our amazing artists, programmers, and developers, who've poured their hearts and souls into this project, and most importantly, for YOU -- our players.
That means about 3 more months of work -- fixing bugs, polishing assets, play testing relentlessly, and generally tightening up the player experience.
The VR games playing community is small but growing steadily, and in our experience are deeply passionate about the games they love, so we know that we need your help and involvement now to get us to the finish line.
We at Martov Co. are obsessed with VR games, and we're ultra passionate about independent games with quality storytelling, fun characters, and innovative mechanics. Our greatest goal is to bring these things to you, the players. And we need your help! So check out our rewards, and help us make Chiaro and the Elixir of Life a reality!
Chiaro and the Elixir of Life is a gorgeous, fully immersive first-person virtual reality adventure for HTC Vive and Oculus Rift.
Inspired by the aesthetics of Studio Ghibli and the gameplay of Zelda (minus the fighting), Chiaro and the Elixir of Life was designed for VR players from the ground up thanks to early dev kits from HTC, Valve, and Oculus. Like many of you, we were early adopters of VR technology and, through focused full-time development efforts, we put all our most exciting ideas for storytelling, visual fidelity, and gameplay mechanics to use in service of a unique and innovative experience that shows what can be possible for adventure games in virtual reality.
We’ve exhibited Chiaro regularly at game festivals worldwide (MIGS, Canadian Gaming Expo, Fantastic Arcade, DreamHack Montreal), and in December 2017, we received the NVIDIA Edge Program Award from NVIDIA and Unreal Engine.
Exciting Storyline - Explore Neverain as Chiaro (voiced by Taylor Gray, Star Wars: Rebels), building Alive Machines and deciphering the riddles left behind by the Alchemists, the mysterious and powerful founders of Neverain. Solve their puzzles to unlock the enigma at the heart of Neverain -- the Fountain of Elixir. Will you get there before it's too late?
Unique Characters – Build relationships with a cast of enchanting AI characters:
- Boka: Chiaro's latest and greatest Alive Machine creation -- a tea-loving steam-powered penguin. Is he your mentor, or your sidekick? Opinions differ.
- Scoria: A mysterious Alive Machine, and a relic of Neverain's tumultuous past. How did she survive the Alchemist Wars, and whose side is she on? One thing's for sure, she's ready and willing to wield her ancient blade against anyone who gets in her way.
- The Peanut Butter Pig: A forlorn pig who wanders the land in search of Gustav's Heavily Processed Peanut Butter. But this swine keeps poking his snout in unexpected places...
- Ellary: The baddest tech geek in Neverain, she lives with her beloved cat Millie inside a giant 3D printer at the old Tool Co. She loves all things mechanical and machine -- as long as those machines aren't alive.
- And more!
Enchanted Tools - An arsenal of distinctive tools with interactive mechanics made specifically for VR that allow you to solve puzzles, overcome obstacles, and progress on your journey.
- Janus Knife: An ancient blade -- use it to cut portals through space, or explode incendiary bombs.
- Salamander's Breath: Bring the mystical Elixir to its boiling point, and solve tricky puzzles with this flaming lantern.
- Chiaro's Rowboat: Row your way to Blue Crab Lake, using a uniquely intuitive interaction system we developed exclusively for our game.
- Ball and Mitt: For the first time ever in VR, play a game of catch with Boka, who will respond with real-time acrobatics to snag even the most hard-to-nab grabs.
- And more!
A Beautiful Fantasy World – explore the world of Neverain, a whimsical land of natural wonder and mystery. Experience the full power of virtual reality in a stunningly immersive, epic 3D fantasy painstakingly crafted by a new generation of artists using Unreal Engine technology.
A Captivating Original Soundtrack – We think an integral part of any true adventure is a powerful, cinematic score and carefully created sonic design. That's why we took the time to compose a formidable original score for Chiaro and the Elixir of Life.
Martov Co. is an independent Virtual Reality studio based in Montreal, Quebec, and founded in 2016.
Martin (a former high stakes poker player and artist) and Jay (also a high stakes poker player and indie film producer) first tried VR independently from each other in 2015, and were completely blown away by the possibilities unfolding in this new world.
After the collapse of the internet poker industry, Jay and Martin sought out new challenges, and decided to forge an alliance to take the plunge into their mutually shared passion. They have been toiling away ever since in the true spirit of indie games. Joined by Jay’s brother, Scott, and a diverse team of pioneering artists and engineers, Martov Co is working hard to bring extraordinary characters, exciting stories and innovative mechanics into the immersive and magical realm made possible by VR.
- Ultra soft and comfy
- Super durable
- Tri-blend construction (50% polyester/25% combed ring-spun cotton/25% rayon)
- 40 singles thread weight
- Contemporary fit
Risks and challenges
There are always risks and challenges associated with any creative endeavour -- and that goes double for a small, independent game studio.
That being said, unlike most independent video game Kickstarters, we're nearly finished with our production. The game is largely complete, playable from start to finish, and going out shortly for beta testing. We just need your help to push it over the edge!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)