Live Long, Slow Swimmer
Live Long, Slow Swimmer
Pick two: Your daughter having sex. Your daughter dying young. Your daughter living forever.
Pick two: Your daughter having sex. Your daughter dying young. Your daughter living forever. Read more
About this project
How Does Kickstarter Work?
It's pretty simple:
- We set a goal ($5,000)
- We set a deadline: (July 17th)
- You pledge whatever you can to help us reach that goal. Bigger pledges get bigger rewards from us (like a copy of the movie when it comes out on DVD, for instance.)
- If we reach (or hopefully exceed) our goal by the deadline, your credit card is charged, we get our funding, and you get the cool reward you chose.
- If we don't reach our goal by the deadline, your credit card is NOT charged, and you do NOT get the cool rewards.
- It's okay to exceed our goal (in which case we can bring Steve's story to even bigger audiences) but it's NOT okay to make even a penny less than our goal.
- In short, we have to make our goal by the deadline, or we don't get our funding, and you don't get your rewards.
At times I've imagined that the key to raising a daughter in this crazy world was a shotgun. I've known many dads who were controlling, intimidating and not much else.
Live Long, Slow Swimmer is a short film about putting the shotgun down, along with many other fears dads have for their daughters or themselves.
I've recently watched someone I look up to, deal with their daughter being diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. His strength in dealing with this harsh blow was what inspired me to confront my own fears, which paled in comparison to the thought of my daughter dying before she even had a chance to become a woman. My "field research" (above video) has supported my belief that I wasn't alone in my fears.
The narrative of Slow Swimmer follows Compton Fields as he plans the prom weekend of a lifetime for his teenage daughter, Kendall Fields. Compton maintains a heaviness as he goes through these acts. His first onscreen encounter with Kendall reveals that he is not on the best of terms with her, or her mother. It is later revealed that Compton has a reputation for being excessively controlling, and that these "random" acts of kindness aren't as random as they appear to us.
The main character, Compton Fields will be played by Roger Guenveur Smith, an artist of the highest order and one of the best actors in the world. He's appeared in Do The Right Thing, American Gangster, Fighting and dozens of other feature films. He will next be seen in John Singleton's Abuduction, starring Taylor Lautner.
The funds will be used to hire a completely professional cast and crew. My last short film Blue Nude was made with no budget, and was shown on BET last summer, but there were significant shortcomings that I feel a legitimate budget would undoubtedly improve on. I choose to raise funding to maintain creative control in order to insure that a story this personal would be told honestly.
Upon completion (August 2011), Live Long, Slow Swimmer will shown once in November of 2011 in the Los Angeles area. Subsequently it will be submitted to several top tier festivals. After this run, My goal is to have this film distributed and shown next year on father's day.
Any donors interested reading the script may do so upon request.
Producer, Writer and Director
Support this project
- (30 days)