This project's funding goal was not reached on June 17, 2014.
About this project
Realm Zero is an attempt to get away from the traditional MMO game-play style that many of us have become accustomed to over the years. This will bring forth a rich and dynamic environment that evolves based on the players decisions within the game.
This includes things such as:
- Non-instanced player housing throughout the world.
- Claimable territory and region control systems.
- Item placement & construction / (demolition).
- Monster spawning & loot table adjustment based on economical surroundings.
- A robust crafting system, allowing players to provide their own creativity.
Here is an early Alpha video showing a conceptual placement system.
Realm Zero will NOT follow the traditional and stale combat styles found in most online role playing games. There will be no tab-targeting and combat will be performed using the First Person Shooter style.
Those of you lucky enough to have played the game Ultima Online should know what's it's like to literally having your heart pounding out of your chest after having an unexpected PVP encounter!
We're going to achieve the same end result, by implementing:
- Fast paced FPS combat. (melee, archery, throwing, spells)
- Full Loot (excluding blessed items).
- Territory control and government systems.
- Very limited (safe) zones.
- Punishment & bounties for ruthless unwarranted murderers.
- Siege mechanics and clan structures.
Here is a video from our very first alpha release on 12/20/2013.
We had around 40 players show up and connect and test our the initial alpha client.
Crafters don't worry we haven't forgot about you!
Crafting will be one of the most diverse and fundamentally important aspects within the game. Master crafters will be able to inscribe words, apply magic properties and even alter the items appearance based on materials being used in the construction.
This system will compose of many aspects including:
- Dynamic resource node generation for various types of (ore, wood, fish, plants, etc).
- Visually altered resource nodes based on the number of resources remaining.
- The ability to re-forge a weapon/armor after it's been created to attempt higher statistical properties. (risk of breaking).
- Unique appearance based on the materials used in construction.
- The ability to smelt or remove magical properties from an item.
- The ability for master craftsmen to inscribe items.
- An (experimental web interface), which could possibly allow for gathering while away from your main computer.
What's the money going to be used towards?
I began this project March 1st 2013 working independently and devoting approximately 3 hours a day towards the production of this game. This has proved to be quite a challenge coupled with the fact that I already work around 50 hours a week at my full-time job.
I've made sure to document my experience through the use of blog posts and developmental videos, which can be found at:
Through recent developments, I'm working on switching the core engine over to Unity3d. This will help speed up the development process and also add multi-platform support for (Windows & Mac OS). I plan to port over the front-end while maintaining the majority of the network engine I wrote.
If this project is funded, it should give me enough of a financial backing to completely fund the project and reach the goals listed below:
- There is roughly a fee of 10% from the total amount collected, that is paid to Kickstarter & Amazon for the payment processing.
- Server & Equipment Costs (Monthly Hosting).
- I'm looking to dramatically ramp up development.
- Establish a LLC and make this my full-time job. (50+ hours)
- Obtain office space in the Orlando FL area.
- Purchase script, resources & application licenses.
- Purchase & Mail the t-shirts to those who qualify.
- The Founders Mark is a paper-doll visual enhancement, that informs everyone viewing your profile you helped to fund this game.
- Badges are achieved at different donation tiers and are applied to your founders mark, to help showcase your level of commitment.
- BETA Access entitles you access to our game server and client with an included subscription for the duration of the closed beta.
- ALPHA Access entitles you access to our game server and client with an included subscription for the duration of the closed alpha.
- NAME In Credits, we will place your name in the supporters section of the games credits.
Risks and challenges
The only real obstacle I see is the release date. While everything is set in motion and the projected date seems obtainable, development road blocks may arise.
I will provide weekly & monthly updates and the current projected road-map for each development cycle. In the event that it doesn't look like I will hit the scheduled "release" date of 12/20/2018 and funding has ceased to exist, I'll have to go back to part time. Funding without a doubt will last throughout the date of the scheduled release.
I will make every effort to make sure we release on time!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (60 days)