Who We Are
Hi! We’re Scott & Joanna Johnson, owners of OCB Cakes/Java Junction.
Since 2011, we--with the help and support of our two boys--have served gourmet coffee, tasty breakfast dishes, and delicious baked goods to locals and visitors in historic Strasburg, located in the heart of Lancaster County, PA. Over the years, OCB Cakes/Java Junction has transformed into a community gathering place. We know you—our customers—and, just as importantly, you know us.
We’re like Cheers, except with coffee and bacon instead of beer.
Our New Location
We’ve outgrown our space, so we’re moving to a larger location, just a block away from our current shop in downtown Strasburg.
The new Java Junction restaurant will allow us to provide an expanded breakfast menu—more bacon! We’ll add a lunch menu, themed dinners, like Southern Comfort Night, and live entertainment. We're also excited to offer:
Starving Artist Menu: In addition to our regular menu, Java Junction will feature a Starving Artist Menu with affordably-priced, café-quality food for anyone and everyone, whether you’re an actual “starving artist” working Lancaster’s vibrant arts and theater scene or a mom on a tight budget.
Pay What You Want Wednesdays: Sometimes a little thing like being able to take your family out to dinner means a lot—and sometimes even more. Our family has struggled in the past, and we know what it’s like to eat a lot of PB & J because there’s not much in the bank account. The new Java Junction restaurant allows our family the opportunity to give back to you, the community that has supported our business.
We’ll invite you to join us for dinner on Wednesdays.
Bring family. Bring friends.
Pay what you want.
It’s that simple. Really.
We can’t wait for Wednesdays!
It’s Time to Make It Happen.
We’re already working hard to make our new restaurant location a success. We’ve obtained appropriate permits, received zoning approval, submitted paperwork to the Historical Board, and received approval for new signs.
Your Pledges Will Help Defray Specific Start-Up Costs.
- Electrical Updates: Java Junction’s new building is charming…and vintage. Currently it features knob-and-tube wiring—a method common in the early 1900s! We’re investing $5,300 to update the electrical system to safely support the needs of a busy kitchen.
- Heating & Air System: Guests deserve to enjoy meals in comfort, so we’re budgeting $5,800 for much-needed heating and air system improvements to the historic building.
- New Kitchen: This Strasburg, PA building has never housed a restaurant. We’ll install a new kitchen, from plumbing and hoods to refrigeration and storage. The kitchen, which costs $7,200, will provide the equipment and capacity to efficiently serve you—and ensure that no one goes away hungry on Pay What You Want Wednesdays.
Wait, there’s more!
Money raised beyond our original Kickstarter goal will help us:
- Fund additional Java Junction give-back-to-the-community events, like our planned 2015 Pay What You Want Thanksgiving Feast.
- Build an indoor stage to better accommodate live entertainment.
Thank you for being the best ingredient in our kitchen!
Great ingredients make great recipes. With your support through Kickstarter, we’ll have the ingredients to make the new Java Junction location a place where Strasburg’s residents and visitors will gather to enjoy delicious, affordable meals with family and friends.
Scott & Joanna
A work in progress! Here's a sneak peek at what we are working on.
Risks and challenges
As experienced business owners in the food services industry, we understand there will be challenges. Those of you who know us—our family, friends, & customers—know we’re not afraid of hard work or long hours. We’re confident we have the work ethic, knowledge, and support to find solutions to whatever arises.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)