Simple, easy and efficient. Achieving a massive...
£779 IN SAVINGS
With average use you will save approximately £779 in the combined running costs of electricity, water and detergent over an eight year period, based on a family of four doing eight washes per week. This is a massive saving for the consumer and the environment.
Check out our new £599 reward and acquire a unique full capability Reason Washing Machine at this amazing Kickstarter price.
Reason. A Cleaner Future.
If you like good design and care about saving precious resources please support us in any way you can.
From the moment your Reason arrives you will notice the difference.
- It rolls out of its box on four easy glide swivel wheels.
- It is installed onto Reasons unique base plate.
- The base plate automatically levels the machine and ensures all hoses and cables are secure.
- On initiating the machine the ballast tank fills and the machine is automatically locked in place: Level and secure thanks to Reasons unique pre-heat and ballast system.
- Via Wifi the machine will determine it's location and calibrate the auto dispense system for the correct water hardness. Water hardness makes a significant difference to the amount of detergent required. This unique feature of the Reason accounts for a lot of the savings in detergent use and significantly improves wash results.
- An option through the machines screen or Reason phone app will allow you to input your electricity tariff to accurately measure electricity cost and record the results. Via the connection to the Reason Global Test House the user will immediatley see the savings made for each wash.
Local news feature.
Close up of screen and motor during wash. Pump and motor can be heard. It is important to note the machine is pulled out with no back panel or sound insulation fitted.
- Simply press the one button and the machine opens.
- Load the laundry, choose your program, and press the button.
- The machine comes pre-loaded with detergent and conditioner. You can of course add your own preferred detergent into one of the spare pods provided. The on screen menu will allow you to tell the machine whether the detergent or conditioner is standard, concentrated or gel and will adjust the dose depending on these factors, the load size and soiling.
- The machine will tell you exactly how long the wash will take.
- When the wash finishes the machine will display energy water and detergent used and compare it to the best in class average.
- The costs can be displayed per wash, per week or month etc.
- The user will be able to simply compare their laundry costs against other Reason machines and the other best in class machines on permanent test at Reason Global Test House.
- The Reason is designed and built to last.
The Reason Why:
Andrew Reason read an advert for a new washing machine in a colour supplement:
A leading washing machine manufacturer asked 40,000 people what they wanted from their machine. At the top of the list was a bigger door for easier loading and unloading.
Their response was a redesign resulting in a marginally bigger door!
In the words of Henry Ford:
"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse"
With this in mind...
Reason: a lot more than a bigger door.
A Simple Solution:
The Reason drum is supported on two simple high quality bearings at the front and back.
Try supporting a bicycle wheel by holding just one side of it's axle and then spin it - not easy. It wants to twist and turn in all directions. Now try holding it in two hands and getting a friend to spin it - what a difference!
- The Reason washing drum is a drawer. A simple low tech solution We utilise high quality stainless steel runners designed and tested to take loads far in excess of the requirements. Stainless steel ball bearings glide the drum out effortlessly.
- We dispense with heavy concrete blocks or cast iron as ballast which makes the machines heavy for transportation, installation and maintenance. Instead we use a simple blow moulded pre-heat ballast tank. It is light weight aiding transportation and installation yet it fills with twenty eight liters of water on installation. This provides twenty eight kilograms of ballast and has the added benefit of providing wash water that could be naturally pre-heated to ambient room temperature saving considerably on water heating costs.
Real Time, Real Feedback, Real Savings...
- Truly informed choices with the best washing machine ever made.
We are developing links with water aid charities to put in place a system to provide water supplies and sanitation in places of need to the quantity of that saved, recorded and displayed on the Global Test House due to the innovative and unique design of the Reason Washing Machine.
We have a range of great rewards ranging from as little as £10.
We will be shipping the first Reason washing machines for early Global Test House evaluation and feedback at the beginning of the third week of October 2014. If you would like to be one of the first people to own and experience the benefits of a Reason you can do so by making a pledge of £4,000. We understand that these first machines come at a high price but if you receive one it will have a full 10 year guarantee and you will be the first to receive new models of significant upgrades during this term. You will become a valued tester, checker and commentator on our first publicly available machines.
We have been in discussions with leading white goods retailers who have all placed the Reason in the premium market with retail figure of around £1,200 when it is in open market supply.
With this in mind:
If you cannot stretch to £4,000, for the period of this Kickstarter project only, we are offering Reason machines against a pledge of £779 which is equivalent to the total financial savings you could make over an eight year period. A great offer. These machines will be delivered six weeks after the first ten machines, at the beginning of December 2014.
If you cannot stretch to £779 please check out our other great rewards. We are grateful for all support.
We have been very private over our work over the past few years focusing on making the Reason even more user friendly and efficient.
When we finally got to the end of the design review and implemented the changes we didn't believe our own results. We checked and rechecked. They were right, the Reason had exceeded even our goals. We had to find a way to express just how far advanced the Reason Washing Machine is. We knew that the published results for existing machines often bore no relationship to true tests in the field, and the running costs were a lot greater than stated. Most washing machines on the market are unable to wash even the advertised wash capacity.
We believe consumers deserve true accurate verifiable information to make informed decisions on their purchases. Current washing machines do not offer this:
The Reason with it's unique user benefits and outstanding energy efficiency, coupled with the new Reason Global Test House will offer an unrivaled user experience.
Washing A King Size Winter Weight Duvet
Early concept animation showing load and unload. It also shows the ability to add items mid wash if you have dropped or forgotten something.
Early Concept Prototype assembly.
Matthew loading the Reason. Auto close no sliding drum lid. All machines shipped will have the sliding lid demonstrated in the video above.
Matthew removing King size duvet at the end of wash a cycle.
Len and Roger: Prototype Build
- Vibration and Suspension Analysis in collaboration with Cardiff University Manufacturing Engineering Center. This work won us the prestigious Cardiff University Innovation Award.
Finite Element Analysis on the inner stainless steel drum. This work was undertaken in collaboration with Swansea University Engineering Dept.
The stainless steel drum and basket has been superseded. The drum and extractable basket will be plastic, reducing weight and cost and eliminating the need for any welding in any part of the machine. All of the images of the drum in this presentation show the stainless steel versions. All washing machines shipped under this project will have the updated plastic drums. At first the drums will be gloss white but we are looking at various colour options for the future.
Early conventional belt driven rigs. Design, build test - Design, build, test etc, etc
Life After Kickstarter.
The Reason washing machine illustrated and described in this project is a mixture of a number of prototypes. The main design is done, tested, checked and tested again. Some of the prototypes shown have a sliding drum lid and some don't. All new machines will incorporate the sliding lid and the drum will be high gloss white plastic. The design for this is complete and we are awaiting the first prototypes.
- Review all components and systems.
- Final mechanical engineering design.
- Final electrical engineering. Incorporate extra sensors and measures and design in the wifi.
- Machine interface, Global Test House web site, app design and integration.
- Finalise new plastic drum and washing basket.
- Test all systems and prototypes.
- Finalise packaging for Reason detergent and conditioner.
- Continually liaise with supplier partners.
- Procure parts.
- Finalise packaging and user manuals.
- Build pre production models.
- Liaise with and send products to officially accredited test house for required certification certificates.
- Set up tooling, equipment and facilities for production.
- The Reason Machine will be hand built in Pembrokeshire West Wales.
- Test machines with Global Test House and app.
- Continually test best in class conventional machines as base models for comparison.
- Continually evaluate IP portfolio and file where appropriate.
- Develop and engage additional and ongoing marketing and PR.
- Achieve machine certification.
- Launch event and Party in St Davids,West Wales.
- Build production machines.
- All machines will be tested for 24 hours continuous use before dispatch.
- Our Kickstarter project will run from the end of May to the first early bird machines dispatched in mid October.
Key Timings: 2014
- Kickstarter campaign: Completes end of May.
- Non washing machine rewards: June, July, August.
- Engineering: April - October.
- GTH website and app design: May, June.
- Final Prototype: July.
- Pre production test certification: July, August.
- Procure parts: August, September.
- Final systems test, machine and web: September.
- Final certification: September.
- Production build, Early Bird Machines: October.
- On going production: November....
The Reason is now, with your help counting down to launch...
It's up to you!
If you want a Reason washing machine now or in the future we need your backing to make the Reason Washing Machine a reality.
Risks and challenges
We have been working on this product for many years. There have been periods when there have been mostly downs and things don't go to plan but we have timed this Kickstarter project at the end of a long period of value engineering, checking and testing. We did not want to raise our heads above the parapet without being confident we can deliver.
We are 100% focused on delivering this award winning product.
Our biggest problem has always been the secure supply of the motor to drive the exceptionally high loads due to the machines capacity of 12 kg.
The withdrawal of the supply of a motor to drive the machine a number of years ago caused us considerable difficulties and delayed the project. However the benefit has been we are launching with a considerably more efficient machine.
We have now sourced and secured the supply for the direct drive motor.
After considerable testing and analysis over the past 18 months we are confident regarding all aspects of the machine.
With regard to the specific work around the new brain of the machine, incorporating the wifi, building the Global Test House web site and phone app - this is all standard tried and tested technology.
We will keep supporters frequently updated on all aspects of the project.
Support this project
- (28 days)