Rehearsal Report #1.
Thanks to you, we started work in NY on Sunday night and had our first full rehearsal yesterday. I figured the easiest thing to share would be our Stage Manager's notes from the day -- what we did, what we changed, what we need, and what we are doing today.
In short, it was a fantastic day. The cast is amazing, Sarah, our director, is fluid, easy, smart and FAST. And it is a triple thrill to be performing in the museum, with two of Henry Darger's collages watching over us.
The Vivian Girls
Book & Lyrics by Stacy Sims
Composed by Peter Adam
Choreographed by Heather Britt
Directed by Sarah Cameron Sunde
Rehearsal Report #1—Monday, May 7, 2012
REHEARSAL SCHEDULE for Monday, May 7th, 2012
LOCATION: American Folk Arts Museum :: 2 Lincoln Center C Columbus Avenue at 66th Street
2:00pm—Meet & Greet; Begin Working! :: CALLED: ALL
All AEA Breaks Observed
7:00pm—End of Day
1. We had a great first rehearsal today! We did a meet and greet, warm up and then ran through the whole show. We ended the day by working a couple of songs and staging the very top of the show.
2. Tomorrow we are going to meet at New Georges’ The Room at 11am before rehearsal from 12pm-7pm.
3. We are going to cut down the hours on Wednesday, so we will be working 1pm-9pm, instead of 11am-9pm. The updated contact sheet and schedule is attached to this email.
4. Amanda is going to drop off her speakers tomorrow. (Thanks!)
5. We are going to need rehearsal blocks to use as a bed DSR for Henry.
1. Are we allowed to have bare feet in the space?
2. We will be able to be in the space at 6:30pm on Wednesday. The actors will be called at 6:45pm. The chairs will be set up in the space.
1. Peter is going to make scores for all of the new songs: “Listen”, “How Can That Be Love” and the Duet.
2. We are going to need to repeat the music for “Twister Opening”, so it can underscore more of the dialogue.
3. There will be some music for whenever the wind blows.
4. Anne is going to bring her amp and guitar in tomorrow. (Thanks!)
1. Nothing today.
1. Please look below for line changes.
PAGE CHARACTER CHANGE
CUT: It’s hard to piece together…things have gone berserk.
CHANGE: “Of for God’s sakes” to “Oh for God’s”
“ALL” Means all of the Paper Doll Girls
ADD: “But oh the wind did howl” at end of song
CUT: He’s not well. They don’t think he will make it. Yes. Thank you. See you then.
End of Scene should read:
MYRNA: Who made you the boss?
ANNIE: You don’t understand what’s at stake here.
BEA: Who made you the know-it-all?
ANNIE: Henry did.
ADD: after Likes her clothes, hates her body.(sarcastically) Well, hello body?
ADD: Look who’s writing the story now, Henry.
CHANGE: “It starts in my toes and moves to my knees” to “It starts in your toes and move to yourknees.”
CHANGE: “You too, Beatrice. It’s okay to like girls” to “You too, Beatrice. You’re okay just like you are.”
MOVE: “But just tell me what you want…What if it’s what I don’t want?” to after HENRY: Yes. Yes. (on page 23)
CHANGE: “I don’t know if we should” to “I don’t thinkwe should go. I think we should stay right here.”
HAS THE LINE: …well that’s why I was writing…
CHANGE “The Last Time You Felt The Wind” to the present tense:
I lift your hair / I caress your neck / I whisper sweet nothings to you. / I graze your skin / I talk to your flesh / I wrap your body in mine. / I tease the leaves Into a swirling eddy / I spin the air for you. / You ignore my touch / You mock my desire / You shut the door on me. / So I turn up the volume / So I turn up the heat / I’m a minstral, a tempest, the draft around your feet.
SHOULD READ: No thank you. That’s not what I…(sighs)…nevermind.
CHANGE: I always felt different.
CUT: Can you shut the window, Beatrice?
CHANGE: “Please stay!” to “Please! Just come over here with me!”
CUT: Do you want to stay? If you wanted to, stayyou would find a way. Do you like me?
ADD to END OF SONG: Things will never be the same. / Never be the same.
CHANGE: “I want to be a boy” to “I don’t like the way I look.”
LINE SHOULD READ: What can we do? Adelaide is gone. And that…other one…is missing.
MOTHER VIV: Forever we’re entwined, my friend…MOTHER VIV: …they’ll think it’s just the wind.”
REHEARSAL SCHEDULE for Tuesday, May 8th, 2012
LOCATION: New Georges’ The Room :: 520 8th Avenue, 3rd FloorC
12:00pm—Work “The Last Time You Felt The Wind” d CALLED: Tuomas Hiltunen and Nikki Stevenson
12:30pm—Work “The World Came Unglued”, “There’s a Twisting in My Heart” d and “Bea’s Song”
d ADD: Jessica Kuhne, Mallory Hawks and Michael Lorz
1:00pm—Continue working from the Top
ADD: Ron Crawford, Emma Love, Calley Schuttera, Ellie Jameson, Patricia Cancio, Ali Dachis
4:00pm—Continue Working—CALLED: ALL
7:00pm—End of Day
PREPARED BY: Lizzy Lee, Stage Manager
DISTRIBUTION: Email: Stacy Sims, Peter Adams, Heather Britt, Sarah Cameron Sunde, Anne Damassa, Amanda Feldman