We are very excited to announce that we are getting ready to release Circadian Tremors, our new six song E.P. (If you are unfamiliar with the last album, its here) We began writing these songs in the summer of 2011 and it feels great to finally be about ready to release them. On the less exciting side of things, with the release of this album, The Act of Estimating as Worthless will no longer be active as a band. When we began writing songs and making recordings in our bedrooms we never for a moment expected that our music would reach the ears of more than a handful of close friends, and we are extremely grateful for all of the support that everyone has shown to help us reach this point.
As a proper goodbye, we would love to have the chance to present this final work in its full form: the audio, the visuals, and the text, all packaged up together in the form of a vinyl record. But because of our imminent hibernation it does not really make sense to scrape the money together ourselves, or to seek label help. And so we have started this kickstarter campaign. The way we are working it is simple: if you’d like to own the record, you can pledge $18, which will get you the record. (Its like $15 plus shipping). If enough people want one, we’ll make them. For those who’d like to give a little more, we’ve got a couple other rewards too. Details about those are listed below.
Here’s the rundown of the record:
The title is Circadian Tremors
The tracks are:
- Circadian Tremors (5:47)
- Who You Are (0:54)
- Algae (4:43)
- Fireworks (4:10)
- Popolopen (2:26) (previewed above!)
- Black Fly (5:09)
On this recording, The Act of Estimating as Worthless is:
- Zoe Grant - Guitar, Vocals
- Matthew Van Asselt - Guitar, Vocals
- Mike Ditrio - Drums, Recording, Engineering
- Lily Holgate - Violin
- Maria Hadge - Cello
- John Cummings - Trumpet
- Pete Olynciw - Upright and Electric Bass
all songs and arrangements are by The Act of Estimating as Worthless
we are shooting for a run of 200 12” records. The artwork and exact format for the package are yet to be determined. We are designing everything ourselves, and we will be printing everything ourselves as well. There will most likely be silkscreens, there may be letterpress prints, there will probably be die-cuts, scores, folds, glues, probably books, drawings, photographs, text... We have some images in mind. We have some layouts in mind. We can offer this image of our previous cassette in support of our cause.
The image at the very top is a photo of a mock-up for the case. We've been playing around with a couple different things right now we're leaning towards this one. A portfolio case style fold to keep the record in, with two pamphlet style books sewn into two sides. The smaller double books make the paper size a lot more manageable, giving us a lot more printing possibilities. It'll also provide for an interesting reading experience, with content flowing roughly from the first book through to the second one, but with interplay between opposing spreads, depending on what page each book is open to.
What specifically will the money go to? Well, there are a lot of costs out there... basically it’ll be split between the pressing process and the packaging process. On the pressing side, that means mastering, and all the costs associated with the actual pressing of the vinyl. On the packaging side, it’ll mostly go to buying paper and die-cutting. We’re gonna be buying a lot of big sheets of paper for this one, that are going to get cut up, folded, glued, sewn, who knows. Fortunately we are able to do the printing and assembling ourselves, which will make the process a lot less money than it could be.
And again, thank you.
I really can't stress enough how grateful we are to have had this experience as a band, and we are looking forward, though sadly, to our last opportunity as a band to share something very meaningful to us with everyone.
- (1) Limited Edition Silkscreen Print - not sure what its gonna of yet, something relevant to the album artwork. It'll be about 12"x12". See my website for an idea of what my prints usually look like!
- (2) an Act of Estimating T-Shirt - Sounds like it it is! You'll get to choose your size via web survey if the we get funded. The shirt might be the old design we had once, or it might be a new one! The old one was the left half of this image, running the full length of the shirt, with the band name small at the bottom. Chances are good the band name will be small.
- (3) Real Life Buildings #s 1+2 - Real Life Buildings is a series of zines that I make. The zines are mainly collages of my own photos, with some found/looked for images as well. Both issues include a perforated silkscreen print that tears out. Both are in an edition of 50. Some images from them are here.
Risks and challenges
If we are funded, its really a pretty straightforward process. The biggest real challenge is that everything takes time. We will do our best to ensure things run smoothly and on time, and keep everyone updated on the progress along the way. Those updates will definitely include some artwork sneak previews.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)