Villains & Henchmen!: The Board Game
You & your fellow villains must break a super-villain out of prison! Acquire powers, defeat heroes, & overcome obstacles to win!
One of the world’s most nefarious and diabolical super-villains has been captured and imprisoned by meddling heroes. As fellow villains and loyal henchmen, it’s your job to orchestrate an escape!
In this cooperative board game for 1-4 players, you will acquire powers, battle heroes, and overcome obstacles to spring the super-villain from a maximum-security prison. To succeed, you must work together. Of course, as villains, you’re all trying to one-up each other so that you can claim the coveted title of "Most Dangerous Villain"!
Game Play Overview!
Villains & Henchmen! is a game of hand management - players act in turn to play the cards in their hand, Attacking heroes, Defending against guards, and using Power Surges to acquire powers. Powers increase the efficiency of a player's hand by (for example) granting extra Attack, or allowing players to circumvent a troublesome foe.
In order to win a game of V&H!, players need to meet the Victory conditions of their chosen Setting card. Usually, this requires defeating one of two heroes (hostages always help when making an escape!) and accumulating other Victory cards based on the Setting.
Of course, the players risk losing a game of V&H! in a couple of ways. One way is by allowing the Defeat conditions of the chosen Setting to occur. Another is by letting one of the Power decks run out of cards - prison breaks can't take all day, after all!
For a visual explanation of a player turn, and the ways in which the game's components interact, check out our handy Game Play Video (voice over by the inestimable Sheldon Morley):
If you want a full game play video, from start to finish, check out this video on our website (we apologize for the audio quality; it was filmed as part of a larger charity event, so there is a lot of background noise).
What's In The Box?
All base game sets will contain 216 cards, 4 Player Mats, and 1 Setting Mat, and will be packed in a travel-friendly, 2-part box.
Here's a breakdown of the villainous (card) contents!
What Loot Do You Get?
Here's a breakdown of the pledge levels and their contents:
What Else Could Be In The Box?
As part of our efforts at conquering the world, we're offering rewards for spreading the word about our campaign! If you'd like the specific details, check out Update #6.
World Domination Progress
World Domination Stretch Goal #1!
We've unlocked our first World Domination stretch goal: The Lycanthrope! For more on this monstrous Archetype, check out Update #9!
In addition to the World Domination stretch goals, we're offering a number of free stretch goals, along with a couple of paid add-on packs for expansions to the base game. If we reach the following funding amounts, backers who pledged at the Cunning Opportunist! level and above will also be eligible for:
Risks and challenges
Well, we’ve never done this before - this is the first Kickstarter project that we’ve created. But we’ve spent months researching other game campaigns, speaking with other game designers and companies, and working to build a solid foundation for a successful campaign and product.
Here are the main risks and challenges we face bringing this game to life, along with the steps we've taken to mitigate these potential issues:
Manufacturing & Potential Defects
- We’ll be working with a Stateside manufacturing company with a history of orders being produced on time with a high level of quality. They’ve been consistent with their production estimates and we also think they have excellent customer service - critical when dealing with issues that could crop up.
- We’ve already received a number of product samples and have been very happy with the quality and durability of our manufacturer's components. We’re confident any manufacturing defects or issues that may arise will be dealt with quickly and professionally.
- If you receive a copy that is defective, please let us know and we'll replace those missing and/or damaged cards or components.
Shipping & Delays
- Weather and other unforeseen mishaps could cause delays in getting the completed orders to us. We’ve purposely built a buffer into our delivery estimates to account for unexpected delays.
- Delays seem to be a nigh-inevitable part of completing projects of any size, so while we can’t promise there won’t be any delays or interruptions, we can promise to communicate what’s going on so you’re not left in the dark.
- Our team of artists is working diligently to complete their allotted work on schedule, but we all know the muses are capricious. Keeping the lines of communication open and expectations realistic will help us reach our goal.
- Happy news! All graphic design has been completed and we've received almost all art for the entire game!
Manufacturing on/under budget
- We’ve spent months researching manufacturers, both domestic and abroad, to find the right mix of quality and price. We’ve received dozens of samples, and feel we’ve decided on a company that will meet our expectations.
Fulfillment within scheduled delivery window
- As we’ve never shipped a large number of items before, this will be a brand new experience for us. Luckily, the post office is literally 100 feet away from our base of operations, so in addition to having our mailing process in place, getting items mailed should be relatively straightforward.
- We will work our hardest to get everyone’s game out as quickly as possible, and backers will be regularly updated through Kickstarter until all rewards have been received.
- Of course, it’s possible the availability of packing materials and the amount of orders needed to be filled may cause delays.
- (44 days)