Plasma Frequency Magazine
Plasma Frequency Magazine
Upgrading Plasma Frequency Magazine from Semi-Pro to Pro by increasing the amount we pay our authors from 1 cent to 6 cents per word.
Upgrading Plasma Frequency Magazine from Semi-Pro to Pro by increasing the amount we pay our authors from 1 cent to 6 cents per word. Read more
What is Plasma Frequency?
Anyone who write science fiction and fantasy knows how hard it can be. This is especially true of short fiction. Taking an idea and making it a fulfilling story in such a short word count is a challenge. But things only get hard when it comes time to sell that story to a publication.
That's where Plasma Frequency comes in. Since 2012, Plasma Frequency has published quality science fiction and fantasy. To date we have purchased over 130 stories, totaling more than 340,000 words! We have given many writers their first publication credit, as well as welcoming several well-known names. You can check out our full list of issues here.
And that is what Plasma Frequency is all about, giving fiction a home for readers to enjoy it.
What does Plasma Frequency publish?
You can count on 10 stories per issue (6 issues a year) of science fiction, fantasy, and even some horror. We publish a range in length from 7000 words to a few hundred. And, we even have a serial fiction story this year that is much longer!
Starting with issue 13, we now have our issues free to read online. Free, that's a great deal! You can also purchase print and eReader copies of all our issues. We also publish amazing cover art each issue. And coming in 2015 we will have special theme issues, and an all inclusive 2015 Anthology. But all this is counting on help from the community through funding on Kickstarter.
So what is this Kickstarter for?
Running a quality magazine takes a lot of time and money. I can make the time, but I am a starving artist myself and can't spare anymore money. Plasma Frequency believes that the hard work authors put into stories deserves a fair pay rate. Each year I put in over $3000 into just the magazine (this doesn't include marketing) but that means I can only pay just 1 cent per word. And you will probably agree that writers deserve more.
We want to pay authors a fair, professional wage, of 6 cents per word starting in January 2015. But we simply can't do that with out crowd funding support. And this is what we are using this Kickstarter for. To raise the funds needed for one year of issues at the professional rate of 6 cents per word.
How will the money be used?
$10,200 will go directly to paying authors and artists. This includes a pay increase for Authors (6 cents per word) and an increase for Artists ($200).
$1,285 will go to operational costs of the magazine, including the anthology, postage/printing, website hosting, and upgrading our submission system to handle the influx of new submissions we anticipate.
$2,110 will go to printing, shipping, and other fees associated with this campaign's rewards.
$1,512 will go to the fees associated with running this campaign (Kickstarter fees, Card Processing Fees)
Grand Total Needed: $15,107
Deadline: November 15th. Why that day? It is my birthday and I would like nothing more for my birthday than to see this funded.
So what is in it for you? Well, besides another great professional rate magazine? We also have some great rewards for you.
- Get a critique from our assistant editors. They will send you personal feedback on your story. This is not a submission to our magazine, but a chance to hear what our editors think before you submit your story to us, or anyone else. So make sure those stories are publication ready.
- The Year 1 Anthology is a collection of 12 stories from our first year of publication. One from each issue was chosen by our readers. Another story from each issue was chosen by the editors.
- The Year 2 Anthology is a collection of 12 stories from our second year of publication. One from each issue was chosen by our readers. Another story from each issue was chosen by the editors. This is due to be released November 2014.
- The 2015 Anthology is a planned collection that will include all stories we publish in 2015. It is expected to be released in December 2015.
- eReader copies are available in .mobi, .epub, and .pdf types. Just let us know which one you want. Make sure we have a way to reach you.
- We list our donors in the back of each issue (starting with issue 14). They are listed in the following levels: Ham Radio Operator, Local Broadcaster, National Broadcaster, Worldwide Broadcaster, and Regulator. This is an obvious play on "Frequency", and a good chance to brag.
- Rewards for donations as little as $5. Every little bit helps.
- More rewards could be added if we reach our goal and head into our stretch goals.
We would be happy just to make our funding goal, but if we are so privileged to go beyond that goal we have a few plans in store. We will announce some of those as we get closer to funding. But some of those include special editions, adding more to the author pay rate, and much more.
Ways to Help:
Obviously making a donation helps tremendously. But sharing this Kickstarter on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, at your writer's groups, and with anyone else wishing to see a great publication rise up to professional payment levels will be a huge benefit as well.
Thank you for your support!
Risks and challenges
Plasma Frequency has been publishing since 2012. We've come across some tough challenges, most of those are in regards to funding. But I've kept it going through two job losses and a major out of state move. This Kickstarter would eliminate the biggest hurdle our magazine has. money.
For two years we have put out an excellent magazine and you can rest assured that once we are funded you will be a part of sending this magazine to the next level.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (37 days)