About Plasma Frequency
Plasma Frequency is a Science Fiction and Fantasy magazine that began with Issue 1 in August 2012. They published 16 issues and received 9 reader based awards, including Best Fiction Magazine two years in a row. They have published more than 150 stories.
In June of 2015, I discovered that through some type of payment scam, thousands of dollars had been taken from the Plasma Frequency account. As a non-profit making venture, the loss of years of funding was a devastating blow that resulted in the delay of publication, and eventually the closure of the magazine.
What is the purpose of this Kickstater?
We want to come back, and based on the things we've heard, you want us to start publishing again. And we are ready to do just that. We just need a little bit more funding to get started, and that's where we hope you'll come in.
How will you use the money?
The money made will go directly into the payment fund to buy stories from authors. What will Plasma Frequency bring you with this money? The list is endless, here are some examples:
- 4 issues each year.
- 13 stories of Science Fiction and Fantasy per issue ranging from Flash Fiction to 7,000 words.
- Issues will be available in Print and eReader formats.
- Each week we will add a story to our website that you can read FREE
- We will be starting a cutting edge Rookie Author Feature (see below)
- We will continue our tradition of award winning stories and cover art.
Rookie Author Feature, what's that?
Being a new author is tough. One of the toughest challenges is finding a home for your work. Plasma Frequency wants to help new authors out by ensuring that at least one story in each issue is by a new author. This is great for writers because it helps them out. But it is even better for readers because it gives them a fresh voice they might have missed out on otherwise.
This Rookie Author Feature is ground breaking in the industry. To our knowledge few other paying publication offers a specific slot for new talent. Plasma Frequency is known for testing the boundaries of "normal" and "traditional", so this feature will be just another way we shake things up.
What is the goal? And, what if you pass it?
We are not asking for a lot of money, just $1450 to ensure we have one year of funding.
We have set up two stretch goals below. We will add more if we need to.
$2,000 - We will add two short stories to each issue. That's 15 stories per issue.
$3,000 - We will add a Novelette to each issue. That's 16 stories per issue.
We are also considering some stretch goals between those levels above. We are considering creating another author feature program for an underrepresented author group (to be determined). Some other things on the table are: special edition (a 5th issue) that is free for donors, and the creation of a donor's area where donors can get access to stories that are not free to the public. We will announce those as they come!
NEW REWARDS ADDED!
In honor of reaching nearly 50% funding by our first weekend, we've added so great new rewards! Many thanks to the people who have volunteered to provide these rewards! Some of these are one time offers, first one to select it gets it!
- Plasma Frequency Author J.S. Watts will send you a signed copy of her debut novel A DARKER MOON for a $14 or higher donation! LIMIT ONE
- For $20 or more, Plasma Frequency author and multiple Writers of the Future finalist Dustin Adams will critique up to 10,000 words. Plus get a 1 year eReader subscription to Plasma Frequency!
- For $20 or more, Plasma Frequency author and editor for The Denver Post Jennifer Campbell-Hicks will critique up to 10,000 words. Plus get a 1 year eReader subscription to Plasma Frequency!
- Plasma Frequency Author Daniel Powell with send you a signed copy if two of his novels: COLD ON THE MOUNTAIN and THE RESET for a donation of just $30 or more. LIMIT ONE
- To help the new authors out there, Freelance Editor Michelle Kelly will donate an editing and proofreading session for just a $40 donation. Great way to get your new story ready for our Rookie Author program.
ART WORK REWARD!
For a donation of just $150 or more, one of our regular cover artists, Tais Teng will create a Science Fiction, Horror or Fantasy Portrait of the image you sent him. The file size will be large enough that you can print it as large as a poster!
Here are some examples:
Risks and challenges
There are always challenges in the publishing field. But the main obstacle will be funding after the first year. We've never been about making money. Our magazine has been about publishing great fiction. So we will have some advertising on our webpages to cover future costs. We will also have the sales of our magazine and anthologies. This funding will just be the kick start.
To protect the money we've earned from future theft, we've ensured that we have adequate fraud protection in place and will not be sharing bank information with any other entity.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)