We made it! Thank you!
I write this, our campaign is coming to a close. If you didn't get a chance to order a copy of the book before time ran out, then you'll be able to find more information on the web site that we've created for the book here:
Soon there will be an opportunity to get on a mailing list that will announce when the books have arrived and you can order one from Amazon or your favorite e-book retailer.
You can also follow updates on the book, and our cocktail adventures in general, on our blog at:
Of course, we will post all relevant updates here on the Kickstarter page as well.
The original content from the campaign can be found below.
To keep everyone motivated, we're pleased to add some stretch goals to the project if we can raise our even more funds! Here's a handy to figure to explain:
- $2500 (reached!) - If we can raise a mere $250 more than our current funding level (as I write this), then we will add 4 more cocktails to the book featuring several cocktail making techniques and ingredients that are currently not covered. Topics that I plan to cover include shrubs, tinctures, "throwing a cocktail" (a mixing technique different than shaking or stirring), and carbonation. At least two of these recipes will come from my personal collection.
- Every $250 above $2500 (1 cocktail added so far) - I'll add 1 more cocktail to the book, which will be selected via suggestions and a vote from our contributors. If you have a favorite recipe from one of your local bars, feel free to suggest it and I'll reach out to that bar to see if the recipe can be used in the book.
- $5000 - Over the years, we have a number of great ideas for an amazing cocktail app, featuring a lot of content in the book, but with much more interactivity. We've also thought about how to design the book with use in the kitchen in mind. If we reach this level of funding, then we'll invest funds in the production of this app and make it available to all of our contributors completely free. More details will be forthcoming as we approach this stretch goal.
If you'd like to see a specific cocktail added to the book and don't want to worry about whether it will be voted in by the rest of the contributors, we have also added a new perk at the $150 level. At this level, you get two books, an e-book, and the opportunity to choose a cocktail to be added to the book. If you live nearby one of the launch party locations, you will also receive an invite to the launch party.
If you've already contributed and want to change your contribution level to this new one, you should be able to do so through the Kickstarter web page. Please feel free to reach out if you can't figure out how to do so.
The original content of this page can be found below.
Thanks for checking out our Kickstarter page!
We've been obsessed with cocktails for a long time. We go out to craft cocktail bars, we make cocktails at home, and of course we throw cocktail parties for our friends. One of the biggest questions we get from our friends is,
"How can I make a great cocktail at home?"
Of course, there are plenty of amazing cocktail books out there already, and in the past we've recommended a variety of them to our friends when we're asked this question.
We found that many of the existing books don't work well for the novice that is just getting started. We spent more than a year testing recipes and instructions with friends, all to put together a book that we think clearly and simply describes the basics of making a great cocktail.
- We chose just 20 recipes, most of which are classics, but collectively demonstrate a broad cross-section of the world of cocktails.
- We introduce cocktail making technique progressively through each recipe, so readers don't have to read through a bunch of text before starting to make a drink.
- We also expose readers to basic cocktail theory through the recipes. For example, many people don't realize that sweetness can be countered with acidity, so if you accidentally put too much sugar in your cocktail, you can easily fix it by adding some lemon juice.
We also wanted to create a book that was as beautiful as it is functional. Each cocktail is accompanied by a full page high quality photograph. It's a book that looks as good lying on a coffee table in your living room as it will it in the kitchen or on your home bar. Check out a preview of the book on Blurb or some example spreads below.
WHAT DO WE NEED?
To make the book available to a larger audience at a reasonable price, we need to print copies in bulk using an offset printing process. This requires a substantial upfront investment (>$10k) and we need your help to put us over the top.
We have a printer worked out already. If we reach our funding goal, then the book will be sent to the printer in May and we expect to receive copies in July or August. If everything goes as we expect, contributors should receive their copies by September.
WHAT DO YOU GET?
We understand that you want to get great value for your contribution, and we think we offer some great options depending on your contribution level.
Nearly all levels receive at least one copy of the book, in either (or both) physical and electronic format. The physical books are 10" x 8" hardcover books with a stylish dust cover featuring 56 pages of cocktail goodness. The electronic books will be provided in fixed layout EPUB 3.0 format, which is a standard format that can be read on most modern e-book readers, including the iPad through the iBooks app.
Also, if you want more copies of the book, just add $20 times the number of extra books you want to your contribution amount and let us know via the survey that we'll send out once we're successfully funded.
We are also looking for folks to help us further user test the instructions in the book. For a limited time, a $50 contribution will let you participate in a user testing session with us in which we provide all the materials needed to test our recipes and personal instruction to complement what you'll find in the book. While it may seem counter-intuitive to pay to help test a book, we're sure that it'll be worth your while.
For those willing to contribute a little more and who live in either of the two cities that we frequent (San Diego and the SF Bay Area), we will also be holding two launch parties at times and locations TBD. You and a guest will be invited to attend, and we're sure that these will be super fun and include some great cocktail education.
Finally, if you want to make an especially large contribution, we offer our services to personally educate you on cocktail recipes and technique, and also prepare you to host a cocktail party of your own. We'll come to you, either in the cities we frequent or anywhere in the US, depending on the level of your contribution.
We hope that you enjoy reading this book as much as we did making it.
A couple disclaimers:
The recipes in this book are adapted from a variety of sources and, as is the case in many cocktail books, tuned to suit our own personal taste. Our goal here is not to be historically accurate or attempt to give the definitive recipe for a given cocktail. We also discuss at several points how recipes may be modified to better match your own preferences.
In the state of California and anywhere else it is applicable, all prices of taxable items include sales tax reimbursement computed to the nearest cent.
Risks and challenges
The book is complete and will require only minor changes prior to printing. After this project is successfully funded, we anticipate the following logistical challenges but believe them to be minor and addressable.
1. Volume Printing: We have printed preliminary copies of our book using Blurb's on-demand printing service. While this was convenient, this method unfortunately made each of the books rather expensive. For this edition, we are planning to take advantage of offset printing and printing the book overseas. The risk here is simply that printing may take longer than we anticipate. We expect a 12 week turnaround from when we send the book to print and when the copies will arrive at our door, but contracting, customs, and shipping issues may arise that cause delays.
2. Modern Recipes - Obtaining Permission: A few of the cocktail recipes in our modern recipes section were created by other people. We provided credit to these individuals in the book but to make sure there aren't any issues, we are working to obtain permission directly to include their recipes in our book. We are excited because we have received positive responses and reviews of our book so far from those who have replied. There is some risk that we will not receive permission from the remaining individuals. In that case, we may have to remove and substitute another drink in the final version of the book. This may take additional time but since we do all the work of creating the pages ourselves, this shouldn't lead to much of a delay.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)