Twilight Continuum Sci-Fi Adventure Series for Savage Worlds
Twilight Continuum is the first Perilous Journey adventure series for Savage Worlds and features a near-future space opera setting.
Here at Mystical Throne Entertainment, we like to think outside the box when it comes to the tabletop role-playing industry, particularly Savage Worlds. As a Savage Worlds licensee, we currently produce the quarterly magazine Savage Insider, the only Savage Worlds magazine, and a number of price-friendly settings.
With the high number of settings already available, we decided it was time to try something new that didn’t require a new setting. Something that provides the Game Master and players with a ready-made adventure series that brings the player characters from their first days as a Novice through their heroic days at Legendary. All of this would be achieved without forcing the GM and players to learn a new setting or familiarize themselves with the mechanical changes made to accommodate that setting.
Thus we have Twilight Continuum.
Twilight Continuum, as the header states, is a 6-part space opera adventure series for Savage Worlds. To be more exact, Twilight Continuum is the first set to follow the Perilous Journey publication model, providing the user with a complete adventure series from that follows the beginnings of the player characters' careers until they are essentially nearing retirement, all framed by a single storyline. The setting for Twilight Continuum is near-future, with a science fiction action and adventure storyline mixed with social and dramatic elements (also known as space opera).
DIVIDED WE FALL...
It is the dawn of the twenty-second century, and mankind's quest for land and resources has led to the colonization of the inner solar system. But the people of Earth remain polarized into two major factions and their satellites - the Western Nations Alliance and the Eastern Chinese Co-prosperity Sphere - and in spite of a state of detente at home, battles and skirmishes continue in the vacuum of space and between colonies.
FOR THE ENEMY IS AT THE GATES...
But when the invading fleets of the Zentari arrive and aim their invasion toward earth, humanity must learn to cast aside its differences and fight together against a common foe. What drives the aliens to conquer earth? Is there any hope against their superior technology? Become one of the handful of heroes destined to save the earth and change the universe. Enter the Twilight Continuum.
In Twilight Continuum, the player characters assume the role of a squadron of fighter pilots, fresh out of the Alliance Military Academy, who have the good fortune to be assigned to the Alliance's prototype fast-response corvette, Vanguard. Although their skills are intended to be pitted against the pilots of the Co-prosperity Sphere, the characters each possess a genetic potential which makes them the best hope for all of humanity when the fleets of the Zentari suddenly arrive.
Perilous Journey is a publication model influenced by Paizo Publishing’s Adventure Path and Triple Ace Games’ Daring Tales. This model reflects an entire, standalone adventure series divided across six 72-page books. These books cover all Savage Worlds ranks from Novice through Legendary. This model is designed to be used without the need for a setting guide, only requiring the use of the Savage Worlds core rulebook and the Perilous Journey adventure series. This series includes a Player’s Guide to get players aligned to the series’ storyline and the six adventure books. Each book contains a single character rank with books 5 and 6 covering the first and second halves of Legendary rank, respectively.
Each book within the Perilous Journey adventure series contains more than just the adventure content. Each one also features:
- One part of a novella set in the adventure’s storyline.
- Source material to further the adventures outside of the storyline or provide mechanics for use within that book.
- A mini-bestiary to provide additional encounters to either expand the adventure or for use outside of the storyline.
Twilight Continuum is the storyline created by Curtis Lyon over the past decade. This adventure series features the player characters as they work against the threats facing Earth and all of humanity. The series is divided across the following six books in order:
- Vanguard: The characters mostly fight against the CCS, but Princess Zandra begins reaching out to one of them. They are assigned to the Vanguard, and are therefor the first to encounter the Zentari invaders.
- Enemy at the Gates: The characters are forced to cooperate with their former enemies of the Co-prosperity Sphere as the fight with their new enemy looms ever closer aboard the battle cruiser,Vanguard. The outcome will lead to a new understanding of this war's costs and demands.
- Prometheus Unbound: With the new tech, the characters are able to mitigate some of the shortcomings on the Human side, although they are still losing. But when Prometheus finally comes online, they are given full-on Atlantean star fighters to use, and take down the Zentari flagship. The Zentari retreat.
- Into the Void: Princess Zandra begs the Heroes to save her. Fortunately, the Earth Coalition Government agrees that the war should be taken to the Zentari while Humans have the edge. The characters, aboard Prometheus, begin a journey across the galaxy, hopefully generating goodwill as they go and learning a bit about the common roots of Humans and Zentari.
- Final Destination: The journey across the galaxy continues until the Heroes reach Zuma and confront Emperor Vokos. The battle culminates in the Imperial Palace, where the characters can rescue Zandra, but Vokos escapes – and it becomes apparent that the fabric of the universe is cracking!
- Endgame: It turns out Prometheus is also essentially a 'key', and the prison holding back the Akuma is being unlocked. Not only must the Heroes free Zuma from Emperor Vokos, but they must also find a way to keep the Akuma from returning to the universe and destroying the galaxy once and for all.
Instead of creating a new space opera setting to run Twilight Continuum, GMs and players will only need the 6-book adventure set and a Savage Worlds core rulebook. However, the adventure storyline and accompanying mechanics within the books will allow GMs and players to move the adventure into their favorite, existing sci-fi setting such as Mercenary Breed (published by Mystical Throne Entertainment), High Space (published by StoryWeaver), or Nemezis (published by GRAmel).
Twilight Continuum is a very large project, spanning six books of 72 pages each. This requires a lot of funding for writers, artists, cartographers, editors and publishers. Mystical Throne Entertainment, and the writers that are part of the project, wish to present to our investors a completed project from beginning to end. We want to produce all six books along with a Kickstarter exclusive hardcover compilation. Without all six books, the project would be incomplete and GMs and players would be left without the remaining adventures they so desired.
- Player’s Guide: Written by the entire Twilight Continuum team with an estimated delivery of July 2013, this book presents the storyline from a player character standpoint, providing the necessary background to play the adventure series and a look at the available options.
- Vanguard (Book 1 of 6): Written by Curtis Lyon with an estimated delivery of July 2013, this book covers the player characters at Novice rank.
- Enemy at the Gates (Book 2 of 6): Written by The Warden with an estimated delivery of August 2013, this book covers the player characters at Seasoned rank.
- Prometheus Unbound (Book 3 of 6): Written by Darren W. Pearce with an estimated delivery of September 2013, this book covers the player characters at Veteran rank.
- Into the Void (Book 4 of 6): Written by Curtis Lyon with an estimated delivery of October 2013, this book covers the player characters at Heroic rank.
- Final Destination (Book 5 of 6): Written by The Warden with an estimated delivery of November 2013, this book covers the player characters throughout the first half of Legendary rank.
- Endgame (Book 6 of 6): Written by Darren W. Pearce with an estimated delivery of December 2013, this book covers the player characters throughout the second half of Legendary rank.
- Twilight Continuum (Limited Edition hardcover compilation): With an estimated delivery of January 2014, this book provides a compilation of all six books into a single, hardcover print with a Limited Edition cover, available only to backers of the Kickstarter campaign. This Limited Edition hardcover will never be available to the general public.
- Twilight Continuum (softcover compilation): With an estimated delivery of January 2014, this book provides a compilation of all six books into a single, softcover print. This will be the printed compilation available to the general public after retail fulfillment has run out.
The Twilight Continuum Limited Edition hardcover compilation is a purchasable add-on for all backers as follows:
- Anyone backing at the Cadet level or higher may purchase the Limited Edition hardcover compilation book for $80 for shipment within the United States.
- Anyone backing at the Cadet level or higher may purchase the Limited Edition hardcover compilation book for $85 for shipment outside of the United States.
- Anyone backing at the Commander level or higher may purchase the Limited Edition hardcover compilation book for $65 for shipment within the United States.
- Anyone backing at the Commander level or higher may purchase the Limited Edition hardcover compilation book for $70 for shipment outside of the United States.
The Twilight Continuum softcover compilation is a purchasable add-on for all backers as follows:
- Anyone backing at the Cadet level or higher may purchase the softcover compilation book for $50 for shipment within the United States.
- Anyone backing at the Cadet level or higher may purchase the softcover compilation book for $55 for shipment outside of the United States.
- Anyone backing at the Commander level or higher may purchase the softcover compilation book for $40 for shipment within the United States.
- Anyone backing at the Commander level or higher may purchase the softcover compilation book for $45 for shipment outside of the United States.
To add to the adventure series content provided through the Kickstarter, we are offering additional exclusive rewards as our way of thanking our investors:
- Paper Miniatures: Each book will have a set of limited edition paper miniatures, only available to backers of the Kickstarter. Everyone backing at the Commander level or higher will receive these paper miniatures for free. Additionally, there is a single set of paper miniatures for each book, six total!
- Twilight Continuum Character Sheet: Each Player’s Guide will be accompanied with a character sheet designed with Twilight Continuum in mind and only available to backers of the Kickstarter. Everyone backing at the Ensign level or higher will receive this character sheet for free.
- Twilight Continuum Fighter Sheet: Like the character sheet, fighters will have the own sheet to track during a space dogfight and only available to backers of the Kickstarter. Everyone backing at the Ensign level or higher will receive this fighter sheet for free.
- Playtest Documents: Before each book is released, all backers of the Kickstarter will have access to the playtest documents.
- Crystalline Counters: Crystalline counters are a great way to track psionic powers and for use as counters on your fighter or character sheet. Everyone backing at the Ensign level or higher will receive a free set of the Crystalline Counters.
Twilight Continuum is in its infant stages, but planning has been completed along with proof of concept for the interior artwork, interior trade dress and cover trade dress.
The artwork in the cover illustration is used for promotional purposes and does not reflect what the actual cover artwork will be.
We love our backers, and without you, this project wouldn’t be possible. To make backing a little more visible, we present to you a visual representation of the major backing tiers and what you’ll get. These will be updated as stretch goals are met.
We love to entice people with the possibility of even more rewards, but our first and foremost focus is on the Twilight Continuum project. However, we do have plans for additional content for our investors; we’re just going to avoid divulging that information (for now). As we reach these stretch goals, more will be revealed.
All stretch goals will be provided electronically as a free add-on to everyone backing at the Commander level or higher.
Twilight Continuum is a large project and to handle it we have assembled an amazing team. The project is being managed and developed by Mystical Throne Entertainment, publishers of Savage Insider and many currently available Savage Worlds settings. Here’s a look at everyone on the team:
Aaron T. Huss is the president of Mystical Throne Entertainment and Editor-in-Chief of Savage Insider. He has currently authored many Savage Worlds licensed publications such as Mercenary Breed, Ancient World, Faith & Demons: The Rising and Judgment Day. He is taking the role of project manager covering aspects of scheduling, artwork, layout, editing and final publication.
Curtis Lyon is part owner of Three Sages Games and a writer for Savage Insider Premium. He currently does freelance writing for Savage Mojo, Gun Metal Games, and Mystical Throne Entertainment. He has authored many Savage Worlds licensed publications withing multiple settings such as Dungeonlands, Caladon Falls, Interface Zero, and Noir Knights. He is taking the role of lead developer covering aspects of storyline continuity, campaign content (authoring books 1 and 4), and additional writing input.
The Warden is president of Broken Ruler Games and a writer for Savage Insider Premium. He is the author and designer of the modern action game Killshot and its Optional System mechanics along with being the author and publisher of the Combat Advantage eZine he used to publish for Dungeons & Dragons under his Emerald Press imprint. He is taking the role of writer covering aspects of campaign content (authoring books 2 and 5) and additional writing input.
Darren W. Pearce is a novelist and freelancer writer and has done work for Cubicle 7 Entertainment, Mongoose Publishing, and Savage Mojo. He is an active freelance writer for Savage Mojo's Suzerain and Dungeonlands settings. He has worked on many game books including Doctor Who: 11th Doctor Edition, Doctor Who: Aliens and Creatures, Lone Wolf: Sommerlund, and Lone Wolf: Magnamund Bestiary. He is taking the role of writer covering aspects of campaign content (authoring books 3 and 6) and additional writing input.
Andrew DeFelice is a freelance artist. He has done work for Mystical Throne Entertainment, Pantheon Press, and Frog God Games. He is taking the role of lead interior artist and working to create the image that will become the artwork for Twilight Continuum.
Gill Pearce is an artist and cartographer and has done work for Quantum Sliders from Savage Mojo and the Glorantha Project (RuneQuest) for Moon Designs. She is taking on the role of lead cartographer covering aspects of interior artwork and cartography.
Simon Powell is an artist and cartographer producing battlemaps under his DramaScape imprint. He has done work for RedBrick/FASA Games in the past producing the covers for Fading Suns Revised and Blue Planet Revised. He is taking the role of lead cover artist covering aspects of cover and interior artwork.
Sarah Lyon is part owner of Three Sages Games and an editor and writer for Savage Insider Premium. She currently does freelance writing (mechanics) and editing for Savage Mojo, Gun Metal Games, and Mystical Throne Entertainment. She is taking the role of lead editor covering aspects of mechanical continuity, game balance, and general editing duties.
Bryan Hitchcock is a novelist and freelance writer and has done work for Millennium Knights from Savage Mojo. He is taking on the role of novelist and is authoring the novella throughout the campaign set.
A.J. Preece is a freelance author and a regular Savage Worlds player and Game Master. He currently does work for Savage Insider Premium and is taking the role of author for the mini-sourcebooks and bestiaries.
Jeremy Stromberg is a freelancer author and editor for Savage Insider Premium and other Mystical Throne Entertainment projects. He is taking the role of author for the mini-sourcebooks and bestiaries.
Risks and challenges
Twilight Continuum is a very large project. Across the six books, their will be a total of 432 pages. That's a lot of writing, editing, illustration, cartography, and layout. We aim to publish a new book each month starting in July 2013 with the final book available in December 2013 (the printed compilation will follow shortly after that).
We are also realistic in thinking sometimes real life gets in the way and deadlines have to slip a little. We are dedicated to providing this entire project in a timely fashion with a goal of having all six books done before the end of the year. The schedule is doable and realistic, but if something major happens, release of a given book may have to slip a couple weeks.
However, we will do whatever we can to hold true to our monthly release dates starting July 2013.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (34 days)