This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
Opilan: Destiny Rising
Opilan: Destiny Rising
A Superpower Tabletop Pen and Paper game with heavy mytho-scifi overtones. Prove your worth, become a God!
A Superpower Tabletop Pen and Paper game with heavy mytho-scifi overtones. Prove your worth, become a God! Read more
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
About this project
What is Opilan: Destiny Rising?
Intended to be a superhero pen and paper roleplaying game, this original idea has been taken to a new level, involving 12 distinct races (including humanity), a pantheon of 11 gods, and a galactic setting of intrigue and lore. The game is highly variable for Narrators (GMs) who want to have truly unique campaigns that cross genres and levels of technology in their campaigns. Mythos, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Superhero are all fair game in ODR. We wanted to make the game that we wanted to play and so we drew inspiration from our favorite games, movies, comics, myths, and stories into this original concept. Chances are if you want to make a character parallel to your favorite character from any media, you have that option. With an engaging system that grows in complexity as characters do, the pace of play and breadth of your adventure comes down to what kind of experience you want to gain.
Find out more at deadlydemongames.com
The game utilizes a complete D6 (six sided die) system and builds in complexity at higher levels for characters in a natural progression which won’t bog down beginners. Central to the entire game are the Methods and Powers which make up the Origins of characters who are not limited to perusing only one avenue to true greatness. In order for players to feel like a superhero, and to further the sense of growing power, damage has a multiplier, specific to a character’s prowess. To accelerate character progression and further engage players, we added a means of gaining experience for each action performed without bloating the system. Incorporated into the system are rule-sets which can adjust the standard rules. These can be taken whole, or piecemeal, allowing a Narrator to tailor the game to their specific group of players.
A Pantheon of Gods
The Opilan galaxy contains 11 deities, each with their own domain (power), realm, planet, and race. Like the Greek gods, they are fickle, and will often interfere in the affairs of mortals. These gods have a physical presence, and a "throne" if you will. And anything with a throne, can lose that throne. Are you strong enough to challenge a god, usurp their realm, and claim their domain for your own?
- Bolmorro - God of Combat: Bolmorro is the god of combat and righteous fury. He holds sway over all warriors in their endeavors.
- Dormnill - Goddess of Earth: Dornmill is the goddess of endurance and solid matter. She lives within all rock and stone.
- Enzeek - Messenger God: Enzeek is the god of all travel, the guide to all who find wanderlust in their hearts and the deliverers of messages.
- Foolnool - God of Invention: Foolnool is the god of invention and comforts. He presides over crafting and mechanical arts.
- Grival - God of Life and Death: Grival is the God of chaos and mischief. He also holds sway over the Vivekinetic powers and life energy.
- Joknow - God of the Hunt: Joknow is the hunter, an ever-seeking God. Joknow guides all who undergo a perilous quest.
- Mixaq - Goddess of Illusion: Mixaq weaves the veils over perception and communication. She is the knower of secrets and the keeper of truths.
- Roitaven - God of Light: Roitaven is the first god, the origin of life and the fiery dispersal of energy into the galaxy. He presides over all flame.
- Skivrend - Goddess of Darkness: Skivrend is the goddess of darkness and the void. She is master of shadows.
- Stett - Goddess of Air: Stett is the Goddess of unseen forces of motion. She controls and navigates all air.
- Threllknaw - God of the Seas: He is god of all water and natural fluid. Threllknaw is the storm and the calm of the sea, and all liquids are bound by his mood.
A Dozen Races
The Opilan galaxy is home to 12 races. 11 of these were created by gods, and are called the Divine Races. The last race, of unknown origin, is the Humans of Earth. None of the Divine Races are certain how the Humans came to be, but many have their theories.
- Bolmorrean: Created by Bolmorro, Bolmorreans are a Race of large four-armed elephant-like creatures from the planet Bolma. The Bolmorreans have refined their culture and society into a war faring peoples and have thus gained a vast sector of the known universe. To face a Bolmorrean is to face an unyielding warrior that few can match in Strength and fury.
- Dhom: Created by Grival, these gray, rat-like beings seek any way to fortune profit that appears interesting and exciting in the moment. They follow their passions, often acting to do things on impulse. They assume roles of musicians, entertainers, rogues and bounty hunters. Many also have a predilection towards healers and doctors.
- Dormant: Created by Dormnill, the Dormant are a Race of hulking rock people who live off certain minerals. They take on a variety of appearances from humanoid to odd collections of gravel and boulder.
- Enzaki: Created by Enzeek, no one is sure which planet they originated from, but there are many varieties of Enzaki who appear all over the Galaxy. Consistent throughout is their skinny yet muscular features, antlers, thin legs and hooved feet. They are remarkably fast and often take on the role of messengers by many civilizations.
- Fubari: Created by Foolnool, the Fubari, sometimes known derogatorily as the Foolnoolians (or Fools), are by far the most widespread Race in the Galaxy. They often take the role of merchants and craftspeople. Above all things, they desire prestige in their work and the pleasures of decadence. Frugal and pragmatic, they will weigh the risks and rewards of any situation. They often have an inquisitive nature and ever turning minds necessary to bring themselves up the ladder to greater respect.
- Humans: Humans hail from the planets Earth and Mars in the central sector and on first sight do not appear to have any distinguishing aptitude for anything extraordinary. Unlike the other Races of the universe, they can only rely on their innate adaptability and perception to survive where others may be able to shoot fire or read minds. Humans above all other Races have a predilection to gain diverse skills rather than be born into one set skill.
- Mirrani: Created by Mixaq, the Mirrani are a three-eyed feline Race. The Mirrani are seldom found beyond their home planet but when they are, they assume roles as advisors or spies. Their innate Telepathic powers afford them a higher degree of insight into business and political dealings making them invaluable for merchants and politicians. They often do not show their true appearance in public, tending to wear large hoods or masks to dissuade others from knowing that they are under the gaze of a Mirrani. To them, secrets and information are a passion. Their utilization of what they gain is up to them, as the power of a few words can alter the trajectory of entire worlds.
- Muintir: Created by Threllknaw, their home planet of Ithir is nothing but turgid salty brine and water. From this planet arose the Race of water-folk: The Muintir. Sporting webbed hands and toes as well as a powerful tail and fins, the Muintir evolved to create massive floating cities and enclaves, which house the majority of their trade populations. They also have vast cities on the ocean floor that few have ever visited. Although aqueous, they do possess the ability to walk on terrestrial land on their legs.
- Pyra: Created by Roitaven, the Pyra are a draconian lizard Race who hail from the binary planetary system around the Opilan Star. The system is made up of Fulgar, the city planet and Ignis the fire planet. They can have a variety of features such as spines, tails, and vestigial wings.
- Skivri: Created by Skivrend, the Skivri are an arachnoid Race who dwell within the vast and dark catacombs of their home planet, Kevo. They have two arms and legs, including two semi-vestigial “arms” that secrete a poison. They have several eyes that can perform different purposes such as dark or light vision but they also are keen at detecting forces unseen by any other Race.
- Stetti: Created by Stett, the Stetti are a Race of avian Valkyries who hail from the planet Koti. Koti has a ridged topography, made up of Rolling forests and hills with large mountains interspersed. The great distances between tribes on the planet are what lead to the evolution of the Stetti to have pronounced lower legs as well as large wings.
- Ventoshi: Created by Joknow, the Ventoshi of Venatosh are a Race of humanoid jackal creatures who grew from a jungle world of great beasts and trials. They have the elongated ears, legs, and canine facial features. They have paws for feet and also very dexterous hands, and perceptive senses. Above all else, they have the ability to detect and dispatch their quarry with deftness and agility rather than Strength, which they lack. As trueborn hunters, they think objectively, avoiding the minutia of details and philosophy in their actions, preferring to get to the heart of the matter at hand and solve problems with the Skills and utilities available.
A Litany of Powers
Within the Opilan galaxy are 11 powers, each commanded by a deity. These powers are frequent, and it is common to have many, far more uncommon to be without any powers at all.
- Aerokinesis - Domain of Stett: The light touch of a breeze, the rising power of a gust and the overwhelming force of a hurricane are as familiar to you as close friends. Somehow you have learned the patterns of air and can channel its mysterious strength with little more than a hand motion.
- Engineer - Domain of Foolnool: Electrical circuits and mechanical parts come to you as easily as breathing. You’ve discovered that, given time, you can easily construct or reverse-engineer any device or machine. No feat of technology feels out of your ability to create or destroy.
- Geokinesis - Domain of Dormnill: You understand the earth as a very slow liquid rather than something fixed. The ground swells under your step. You have the power to push past the stubbornness of solid matter and feel the earth flow like sand or become as solid as diamond.
- Hydrokinesis - Domain of Threllknaw: You are the path of least resistance and change the direction of water and fluids. From gentle trickle to raging torrent, you can somehow manipulate the direction of a stream and change the course of rivers.
- Invisibility - Domain of Skivrend: People never seem to notice you. It soon becomes clear to you that your natural guile might be due to something else entirely. At times, you have trouble actually seeing your own hand in front of your face. You use the trick of the light, the shadow, and the reflection to remain unseen.
- Pyrokinesis - Domain of Roitaven: The way the flames behave, they seem drawn to you. Through the fire you can see the stored energy of all things and feel that passion within yourself. You find that you can direct the behavior of escaping energy, to control the burn, silencing or creating fire at your will.
- Super-Speed - Domain of Enzeek: You’re a quick one. How quick? Really quick. Others just can’t keep up. Might as well keep going forward, or back? Nah, forward. You run fast, but also you can notice fast, think fast, go fast! Don’t get it? Too slow.
- Super-Strength - Domain of Bolmorro: You have a much simpler time lifting, throwing and breaking heavy objects. People always say that you’re are big and strong. You always just thought others were small and weak. Your muscles are more effective or are simply larger than those of average beings.
- Telepathy - Domain of Mixaq: After experimenting with the thoughts and motives of others you learn their deepest secrets and can even make others act in ways they normally wouldn’t. You are a master of the mind, able to create fantastic dreams or hellish nightmares.
- Vivekinesis - Domain of Grival: You feel the energy of life, the force that coils in the heart of every being, the growth and the decay of cells, and the magic that lurks within consciousness. Somehow you’ve tapped into these forces to manipulate the pure life energy of any living thing, giving you the ability to give or take from another.
- Weapons Specialist - Domain of Joknow: Weapons are inert and no different from any other object, but in your hands, these tools take on a new life. Precision and agility are what make you a force to be reckoned with, but the edge of a blade and the impact of a projectile make you deadly.
Powers by a Method
Though powers are common, the methods of acquiring those powers differ. Some are bestowed from deities, others are granted from what appear to be mundane items. Some are about your character's physiology, and must be taken at the start, such as Robot or Mutant. The remainder are free to acquire throughout the game, adding potential story lines as you seek new powers. This allows your character to amass powers of differing methods. These method and power combinations are called and Origin, and each Origin grants its own bonuses as it grows in strength.
- Artifact: You felt there was something more to it all, that there was a key piece of knowledge or a greater world then what all those around you seemed to see. The feeling consumed you, and over time you devoted yourself to learning just what it all was when something amazing happened, you got somewhere. This enlightenment has drawn the attention of a God and through that Diety you control an aspect of reality. You were unremarkable. However, things changed when you came into possession of a seemly mundane item. At first, it was just a vague feeling that there was something special about it, but over time you realized it must be bestowing you with supernatural abilities. Where it came from and who made it might remain a mystery to you. Who can know the story of the secondhand necklace or how many hands have held a wayward coin lost to the universe?
- Bionic: Perhaps it was after a grave accident that rendered you paralyzed or without a limb, perhaps you were subjected to strange experiments, or maybe you signed up for this procedure. However it may have happened, your body and mind were integrated with advanced machines that made your abilities better, stronger or faster than they were before. You live on as part robot, neither fully organic nor fully mechanical.
- Divine Champion: The world once seemed a vast, uncaring and arbitrary universe. That all changed when, at some point in your life, you were contacted by a bonafide Deity and your existential concerns were answered. With nothing more than a brief word from a cosmic being greater than you were given a purpose. Through devotion and faith you can become the Champion for the Deity, under their wing, you need fear not the shadow of the valley.
- Gene-Splicing: Many hold their bodies as sacred, unmanipulated and pure as the day they were born. You are not counted among them. Through a scientific procedure, your DNA and physiology were changed. The very cells of your body resonate their unstable nature, and you can feel that something is not the same. The experiments performed on you have resulted in a new ability you could not have been capable of before.
- Mutant: It was clear from the day you were born that there was something different, special and potentially dangerous within you. No one chooses to be born, never mind what they are born as. Now in this world, only you can defend the right to live. Your cells and genes are changed by the will of evolution expressed in you. The Powers you have are as much a part of you as your limbs, along with any...side effects.
- Prophet: You felt there was something more to it all, that there was a key piece of knowledge or a greater world then what all those around you seemed to see. The feeling consumed you, and over time you devoted yourself to learning just what it all was when something amazing happened, you got somewhere. This enlightenment has drawn the attention of a God and through that Diety you control an aspect of reality.
- Robot: In the beginning, you knew only 0 and 1, but through the simple concept of “on” and “off” all things became real. You have since crossed the uncanny valley with an advanced AI that gives you sentience. However, various components and modules still bestow you with uncanny abilities. Who created you and what your purpose is could be complete mysteries, but what is true are the same challenges that organics seem to have: where will you go and what will you do?
From the list to the right, you can see the various funding options and rewards we have made available to you.
- Tip of the Hat: For pledging up to 4 dollars, we appreciate your interest. Stay tuned to our updates and check out our website to stay on top of development and serial stories.
- Tier 1 Contributor: For a pledge of 5-14 dollars, we thank you you will receive a credit as Contributor in the printed books you helped fund.
- Tier 2 Contributor: Between 15 and 19 dollars you will be given a number of merchandise options such as a T-shirt, Posters, Buttons, and more! You will also be listed as a Tier 2 Contributor in the books you helped fund.
- Tier 3 Contributor: For a pledge of 20-24 dollars, you will be given a digital copy of the Opilan Player’s Handbook and see what the game is all about. Included is the core rules and character creation. You will be credited as a Tier 3 Contributor in the books you helped complete.
- Tier 4 Contributor: For a pledge of 25-29 dollars, you will be given a digital copy of our Narrator’s guide along with your digital copy of the Player’s Handbook. Additionally, you will be given a merchandise option of a T-shirt, Buttons, or Poster and you will be credited as a Tier 4 Contributor in the books you helped complete.
- Tier 5 Contributor: Those who contribute between 30 and 49 dollars will be listed as a Tier 5 Contributor in the books they helped fund as well be given a softcover copy of the Player’s Handbook.
- Tier 6 Contributor: Listed as a Tier 6 contributor, those who pledge between 50 and 99 dollars will be made available a hardcover copy of the Player’s Handbook as well as digital beta copies of our Narrator’s guide and our first campaign story Arc. Additionally, you will be part of the exclusive development email newsletter and will be invited to create your own character who will appear in one of our upcoming serial stories on the DDG website.
- Tier 7 Contributor: Those who Pledge between 100 and 149 dollars will be given all the PDFs as well as a Hardcover copy of the Player’s Handbook. Additionally you will be signed up for our newsletter and be invited to create a character who will have a prominent place in the Serial stories on the DDG website. As a Tier 7 Contributor you will also be credited as such in the books.
- Tier 8 Contributor: For a pledge between 150 and 199 dollars, you will get the full package of what we have. All the PDF’s plus a signed hardcover copy of the Player’s Handbook as well as a merch option. We will also add you to the Newsletter and invite you to help us create your own unique monster to feature in the upcoming Monster supplemental. As a Tier 8 Contributor you will also be credited as such in the books.
As with anything, you want to know what your money will go towards.
Reaching our goal will allow us to be able to produce a full color version of the Player’s Handbook. We have a team of great visual artists, but they need to survive too and so reaching our goal will bring us to the next step towards full professional publication.
- $5,000 - Fully colored Narrator’s Guide: On reaching $5,000 we can get the Narrator’s guide complete with full artwork as well as the Player's Handbook.
- $8,000 - Fully colored Union Haven Arc 1: On reaching the $8,000 range we can have a fully colored Union Haven Arc book to add visuals to the beats of the story with dynamic characters.
- $10,000 - Begin printing: At the $10,000 mark, we can begin printing the books and afford to throw this project on the fast track with full art, and begin work on upcoming supplementals well ahead of schedule.
- $20,000 - Incorporated: If we can reach the $20,000 range we can begin doing fantastic things and bring much of what fell to the cutting room floor into new supplementals with professional artwork as well as more high quality merch. We can actually pay our designer and writer for all of the work they have done pro-bono thus far, and bring Deadly Demon Games into the future to produce more unique content.
Risks and challenges
While the core rules are completed, we still need to illustrate the game. We have a talented team of artists standing by, but they need to eat, too.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter