Loot cards were born out of a desire to give random loot to my players as a game master of the world's most popular role-playing game. I wanted something that would excite my players and capture the joy of random loot in video games like Diablo while preserving the wonderful tactility of tabletop gaming. With that goal in mind, I have designed and created item cards which will take the treasure in your game to new heights!
- $3000 [UNLOCKED]: Unlock 3 new very rare items for the card pool. Backers at the completionist level will receive the 3 new cards, and they will be added to the card pool for the random loot decks to increase diversity.
- $4000 [UNLOCKED]: Unlock a digital guide with recommended rarity distributions for each character tier. This will let you fine tune your random loot decks for your players.
- $5000 [UNLOCKED]: Unlock signature weapons for either The Warriors (Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue) or The Spellcasters (Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard), based on popular vote. Two powerful, character-defining weapons will be added for each of the classes chosen. Backers at the completionist level will receive the 12 new cards and an add-on will be made available to add these 12 cards to other orders.
- $6000 [UNLOCKED]: Unlock blank, fillable cards. Backers at the completionist level will receive 5 blank cards. An add-on will be made available to add 25 blank cards to your order.
- $7000 [UNLOCKED]: Unlock signature weapons for either The Warriors (Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue) or The Spellcasters (Bard, Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard) - whichever was not unlocked at the $5000 level.
- $10000 [UNLOCKED]: Unlock a lair pack for either The Alchemist’s Workshop, The Forgotten Crypt, or The Wizard’s Tower. This will contain 10 cards that would be appropriate in the lair chosen by a popular vote.
- $13000 [UNLOCKED]: Unlock a lair pack for either The Alchemist’s Workshop, The Forgotten Crypt, or The Wizard’s Tower - one which was not chosen at the 10000 level. This will contain 10 cards that would be appropriate in the lair chosen by a popular vote.
- $18000: Unlock the last lair pack - the one not chosen at the 10000 or 13000 levels.
You get 90 item cards printed on high-quality card stock with a linen finish. The decks feature classic magic items such as Potions of Healing and Bags of Holding as well as powerful relics that your players have never seen before. The deck is well-distributed with items ranging from simple treasure to very rare artifacts.
- 36 common items
- 22 uncommon items
- 10 rare items
- 4 very rare items
- 18 treasure cards
Use the deck as a game master to give out loot! Your world will come alive as rare and magical items now live in every forgotten keep or noble house. Simply shuffle the deck and deal out a card or two when your players find some loot. Treasure chests, merchants' wares, and wizards' bookshelves can all be filled quickly and on the fly.
My players love these cards. In our last session the rogue of our group was exploring a shady nobleman's house and crept into the study. Inside he found what he was looking for and then turned to me and asked "Is there a safe in the room?". I had not even prepared for him to be in the house, let alone a safe, but sure - it made sense that there would be a safe. He found the safe, opened it, and instead of scrambling for an answer I was able to pull out a card from the loot deck to the cheers of the players. Acquiring physical, tactile random items is a wonderful experience that sparks enthusiasm and encourages exploration.
I simply couldn't fit in all of the items that I wanted to at a reasonable price point, so in the end each item deck will have a selection of cards randomly chosen from a larger pool. Each deck comes with a full 90 cards and is completely usable straight out of the box, however for those who want extra loot you can order extra decks and receive additional unique items!
The item selection has been carefully tuned to ensure that a random draw won't turn a level 1 Fighter into a monster-slaying superhero at the expense of their teammates. Each loot deck contains exotic and powerful magic items, but static modifiers that provide potentially unbalancing power boosts have been largely avoided. This allows the deck to be useful at all levels of play and in any campaign!
The cards themselves are printed on premium 305gsm black-core matte card stock. A linen finish makes for easy shuffling and helps prevent water damage and staining. The cards are built to look incredible and hold up to the abuse of many long nights of dungeon delving.
Risks and challenges
While there are some timing risks when creating any physical product, I have been through a print run with a trial version of the loot deck and through that have worked out the kinks with the process. A second trial print run is planned before the final run to ensure that the production process has no issues. The cards will be printed through The Game Crafter, who are based in the US and have an excellent reputation. With this experience on hand I expect the production process to go quite smoothly.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)