- FUNDED! Thank you, everyone, for supporting the project. This page is locked once the project closes so see the updates (link above), battlegrip.com, and transformingcollections.com for the latest info on the book.
Did you know there is a world of unofficial Transformers toys and accessories -- including complete robots! -- fans can use to expand and improve their collections? Since the launch of battlegrip.com I have been drawn into this fascinating world, spending thousands of dollars to add these toys to my collection.
Yet manyfans are unaware this world even exists.
Transforming Collections is your personal 24-page 7"x7" (UPDATE: Now 7.5" x 7.5" and 28-pages!) saddle-stitched introduction to these unofficial toys. Filled with detailed high-resolution color photos, Transforming Collections takes what I have learned about this amazing world in the four years I have run battlegrip.com and shares it with you in a handy format you'll reach for again and again.
Transforming Collections includes:
- Introduction. An overview of the book.
- Companies. A short review of each of the third party manufacturers featured in the book.
- Toy Photos! As many as I can pack inside, including full-page shots. There will be a mix of the best pictures I have taken so far and an assortment of new pics . . . including photos of toys I have not yet reviewed online! (See sample photos in my "Third Party Toys and Accessories" set at Flickr.)
Do you need more than two books? You can add an extra book or two by adding $10 for each book to your pledge. NOTE: Extra book option NOT available at any reward level below Generation One Protector ($12). You may only add extra books if you are pledging $12 or more to the project.
So what, exactly, is the difference between third party and bootleg toys and accessories? The key difference -- and the reason these third party toys are so popular -- is the fact that bootlegs are cheap knockoffs of official toys whereas third party toys are new designs that either work on their own or enhance official toys. Even better, many of these third party products are every bit as excellent as the official releases, with designs and plastics that rival the quality of official toys.
There's no reason other than I love books and personally want this book to exist on my shelf. But printing a book costs money, so my hope is there are enough of us who want this book that we will be successful.
Since Transforming Collections is intended as a single-printing available only through Kickstarter I'm encouraging everyone to order two copies (you're sure to have a friend who would appreciate a copy of the book). As an incentive, the following bonus items will be packed inside every Master Collector reward package:
- FREE refrigerator magnet with every pledge of $25 or more.
- FREE postcard with every pledge of $25 or more.
- FREE button with every pledge of $25 or more.
NOTE: Generation One Protectors ($12) may increase their pledge by $10 for a second book and all Master Collector Bonuses that are offered before the project closes.
Transforming Collections is planned as a 24-page 7"x7" saddle-stitched book. UPDATE: Now 7.5" x 7.5"! If we get enough pledges to meet our initial $999 goal we will start working on stretch goals:
- UNLOCKED $1,500 - We increase the size of the book from 7"x7" to 7.5"x7.5", which makes the photos inside bigger. Bigger photos are better photos!
- UNLOCKED $2,250 - Every supporter who pledges $12 or more receives an illustrated sticker featuring one of the unofficial toys shown inside the book.
- UNLOCKED $3,000 - The book expands to 28-pages. More toys!
- UNLOCKED $4,000 - You've unlocked two more illustrated stickers! ($12 pledge or higher only.)
- UNLOCKED $5,000 - Four surprise guest artists each provide an original illustration of one of the toys featured inside the book!!!
- $6,250 - Three more stickers! We're up to six total stickers now! ($12 pledge or higher only.)
- $7,500 - The book expands to 32-pages!!! More cool toy photos.
- $8,750 - The final three illustrated stickers, bringing the total number to nine! And did I mention the stickers are sized to fit trading card sleeves so you can store all nine stickers in a single sheet? ($12 pledge or higher only.)
- $10,000 - The book jumps to 40-pages!
- $12,500 - The book increases in size to 8" x 8" AND switches to hardcover binding!
- $15,000 - The book grows to 48-pages!
Thank you for reading. Please support Transforming Collections. Together we can make this book a reality! For project updates keep an eye on this Kickstarter page and battlegrip.com. You can also follow me on Twitter -- @philipjreed -- for updates.
Kicking it Forward
I've backed several Kickstarter projects in the past and will definitely back more. With that in mind, Transforming Collections is officially taking part in Kicking it Forward. See the site for more info.
- (30 days)