Isles of Eventide
Isles of Eventide
Isles of Eventide is an animal based MMORPG where players can choose and customize their character and start their fight for survival.
Isles of Eventide is an animal based MMORPG where players can choose and customize their character and start their fight for survival. Read more
About this project
Want to become part of the community? Stay in touch with us! We would love to hear from you, so please don't hesitate to contact us!
- Forum: Forum.islesofeventide.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IslesOfEventide
- Deviantart: Islesofeventide.deviantart.com
- Tumblr: Islesofeventide.tumblr.com
- Twitter: @islesofeventide
- Between every land mass that makes up the archipelago, there is water. The ocean is not a place to forget about. It is as important to game-play as the isles themselves are. It is a vast world that can be both beautiful and dangerous. What you find in the ocean depends on the depth, but also which island it surrounds. The ocean around warmer islands will be more similar to that of a tropical sea, while the frigid coasts of a northern island will be far less colorful. In the deepest parts, enormous and hungry beasts search for a snack that might just happen to cross their path.
- At the center of the archipelago is Morewe, the focal point of daily activity. It is a warm place, with a rather consistent climate, due to its previously volcanic nature. The spring at the center of the isle is perpetually warm, and the surrounding islands all receive their unique weather patterns thanks to the thermal activity underground. There are some tenacious rodent and bird populations, but generally, it is too busy a place for wildlife to be found.
- In the North, Skreefall suffers a colder climate than the other islands. It is home to the plants and wildlife that are better able to cope with frigid winters and green summers. Characterized by mountains and fir trees, it is a beautiful but dangerous place. Large, formidable, beasts can be found here.
- To the East lies a deciduous forest, scattered across a large isle and several smaller ones. This is Oakhale, where climate is very similar to that of Morewe, but with far more fauna, flora, and deep wilderness. Generally, it's wild inhabitants are more peaceful and shy than those of other isles. Rodents, birds, deer, and many other creatures call the forests home.
- To the West, Lithegrass boasts vast expanses of plains and parries. It is an unobstructed and open landscape where one must be fast or enduring to catch any of the wildlife. Plants and grasses abound, though there is little protection from the elements when the weather gets bad.
- In the South lay several islands, separated by a fresh-water fed chasm. Ardenteve is the hottest location in the archipelago, making it a very popular destination for individuals who enjoy basking in the sun. Though few trees can stand the dry climate, beauty, danger, and exotic wildlife abound.
Choosing your Character is not an ascetic decision alone. Though individuals vary within, every clan has its natural strengths and weaknesses.
- Family oriented, the members of the canine clan work best in groups. They are loyal and territorial, often preferring the pack life; though loners do exist. What they lack in brute strength, they make up for in endurance. Many also find it easier to withstand the cold than the other clans, but can overheat easily in the hotter climates.
- The feline clan consists of many different lifestyles; from those roaming together in prides, to small family groups, to the extreme soloists. They excel in tests of speed, strength, and agility, though their stamina cannot compete with the other clans. Their tolerance for frigid climates is low, but they can withstand even the hottest of summer days.
- Often the equines are found in groups, which makes sense given they are naturally prey animals. Strength is in numbers after all. When it comes to physical ability however, the equine clan has no equal. They are incredible athletes, but that means little when it comes to finding food. As herbivores, they can only survive where plants and grasses are abundant, and must eat and drink far more often than the other two clans to keep up their metabolism. Though their skin is tough, without thick fur they are more vulnerable to the elements as well.
Scattered across the islands are different types of mysterious runestones. They all serve a purpose, and may even reveal how they ended up there in the first place. Whatever race left them behind, left a piece of their culture, knowledge, and themselves with it.
Soul stones are the most prevalent, and possibly the most valuable rune stone found in the archipelago. They can be well hidden, or hard to reach, but every moment of searching is worth it. When touched by a player, they come to life, glowing blue and divulging the secrets contained within.
The previous inhabitants of the isles used these stones like diaries and spell books, recording their memories and discoveries of different earth magics. In the process however, each creature who imbued the stones with such power left a piece of their own soul with it. They learned the hard way that earth magics do not mix well with greed, jealousy, anger, and other sicknesses of a mind tainted by new-found power. Abuse not the gifts of mother-earth. You can learn from their mistakes, and choose to rise above it... or fall into darkness as they did.
Earth stones are like a spring, tapped into the magic contained within the Earth itself. Etched upon each stone is the essence of the isle it sits on, allowing players to connect with the environment in ways they could not otherwise dream of. Fast travel between islands is made possible by these stones. They also access everything that is happening on their island; who is there, what is there, if there are private islands available to inhabit off the coast, and many more details players may one day seek. They are those closest thing there is to being able to speak with the island itself.
Rift stones are the most powerful, and the most dangerous of all the rune stones. They are large stone rings, connected by a single purpose: to access another realm. It took immense work and effort by the previous race to create these gateways, some giving their lives to do it; but the trouble was not in creation alone. Perhaps what the stones revealed was best left undiscovered. The wonders and horrors within are far beyond anything native to the archipelago. Under the right conditions, the rift will open, and strange and terrible beasts will slip through, searching for an easy meal. These other-worldly creatures are not to be taken lightly. A player such as yourself will stand no chance... alone. .
Train, grow, and work together to see if you can make use of what comes from the rift. The world they come from brims with magic.... perhaps there was a reason the first race thought to summon them at all.
Earth Magic is a natural and elemental form of magic that comes from the world around you. The clans already had a taste of it back home with the mother tree. Her ability to grant intelligence and peace, heal, and inspire, was a form of earth magic.
Here on the Isle of Eventide, however, the previous race that called the archipelago home discovered ways to use magic themselves. The runestones left behind will teach you how to use it too!
What kinds of things can earth magic do? Many things, all depending on what you need!
Magic can be used to create items and imbue them with different properties. These properties might be as simple as a stat boost to protect or grant you strength, or something as incredible as the ability to breathe underwater. Given the right tools, the earthbound clans may even discover magic that will grant them the gift of flight! Discover for yourself all the magic hidden across the Isles.
Isles of Eventide is intended to give you the taste of wild freedom you crave, but never had. In order to truly feel like you are part of the culture and environment, we take customization to the next level.
Character Customization: When you first begin the game, you are greeted with the ability to choose your species, and customize your character. Choose whichever group speaks to you most, and then edit that character to look however you wanted to be represented in the game! With the ability to layer markings, tufts, and change colors and other aspects of the body, you should have no problem expressing your style and individuality.
Private Isles: Across the archipelago, there are many tiny islands that are too small to be useful to large groups, but can be inhabited by an individual player. These are private isles, and you can not only choose your isle in an environment that suits you, but also customize it! Build, craft, plant, and dig to make your isle feel like home.
It can serve many functions, from storage, to shelter, to a haven of magic! Grow a garden, or build a pond and fill it with fish! Invite your friends over for a gathering, or use it as your hideaway. It is your island, so you do what you want with it.
Items and Crafting: As an intelligent race of animal, and with the help of earth magic, you will be able to enjoy the luxury of creating the things you need! On a daily basis, you may spend time crafting simple herbal medicines to restore health. When you are feeling ambitious though, you may feel inclined to craft a set of armor with the natural items found around you.
Perhaps you even just want to craft wearable items that are aesthetically appealing; these can be even imbued with magic to have uses of their own. You may also need earth magic to attach them to yourself. Wolves don't normally grow antlers, but if you find a pair and know the right spell, you can wear them with pride.
Companions: Sometimes called "pets", companions are wild creatures across the isles that you can become friends with. They will never be as aware as the clan members, who were granted their gift of speech and intelligence by the mother tree. Companions are the native isle species who have come to realize you are not a threat to them. You have to show them this, of course, and it is not always easy.
Every animal is different, and must be befriended in different ways. Once you have gained their trust, however, they have the potential to aid you in numerous ways. Predators may hunt for you, and bring you back spoils or trophies. Prey animals may forage, or be enough of a distraction to give you an upper hand in a fight. Aquatic companions will aid you when swimming or crossing the ocean. Most companions are willing to fight by your side in all situations.
Your companions are special, so customizing them is an option! Dress them up and equip them to look different from their wild-brethren. Enchant their armor to aid them in battle too. They put in the work too, so they have earned it right?
As you play, your character will grow! The experience you gain as you fight, explore, and discover things is put towards your statistical prowess! The ability to grow and improve upon your character's basic stats, will make your time on the archipelago much easier, and much more rewarding.
Corner Interface: As you go about playing, in the corner of the screen you will have your basic interface. This keeps track of the things you will want to watch in real time as you adventure. As you grow, all these things can increase so you have less and less to worry about.
- Health: The health bar is exactly what you would expect it to be, a measure of how damaged your character is. There are not separate injuries in isles of eventide, but a cumulative measure of how your character fares against all the damage that has been dealt. Some things that can lower your health include being attacked, being caught in a storm, running out of air underwater, or thirst/starvation.
- Stamina: Stamina is a gauge of how much energy you have to expend on an action. As you do athletic things, such as run, jump, attack, etc, your stamina will decrease. Resting or doing things that don't require as much exertion (such as sitting or walking) is the best way to restore lost stamina.
- Hunger: The hunger bar indicates how full/hungry your character is. Over time, the bar will slowly deplete, indicating a need to eat. Starving yourself will result in the depletion of health until you eat again.
- Thirst: The thirst bar indicates how hydrated/thirsty your character is. Like the health bar, it slowly depletes over time, and is only restored by drinking fresh water. Desiccation will result in a depletion of health until you re-hydrate yourself.
- Compass: the compass gives you the direction you are facing at any point. It will help you navigate, and also indicate which direction you must go to reach the other isles.
- Menus: Along the edge of the corner interface are the menu tabs. They are a quick way to access different screens and lists that you, as a player, might need from time to time. These can incude your friends list, your inventory, your stats page, and other useful screens.
Player stats are the numerical aspect of your characters ability in the game. For ease of viewing, they are divided up into the sections: Resistance, Vitality, and Cumulative.
- Resistance: Resistance stats indicate your characters ability to withstand the basic elements. These stat's are used mostly for storm and extreme weather conditions. As mentioned in the character section, each species has its own innate tolerance and weaknesses towards different weather. Generally, using earth magic is the only fast and effective way of changing these stats.
- Vitality: All the vitality stats are basic pieces from which your character's abilities are drawn. Like resistance, every character species has its own innate capacity for some areas more than others. The vitality stats, however, grow over time, as a player experiences the world and works hard. Defeating foes, discoveries, and the learning and use of earth magics can all increase these stats.
- Cumulative: Cumulative stats are the three seen at the top: Attack, defense, and agility. These three play the largest role in your everyday activity, but they are not as simple as the resistance and vitality traits. They are a compilation of several vitality stats and their own number. Agility can grow on it's own as you
Making a game is expensive. Making a good game is even more expensive. There is a lot that goes into the creation of a game, and for that, you need to be able to pay people for the hundreds of hours they sink into making it. The word "game" makes it sound fun, but realistically, the steps towards making it are just as much work as an everyday job. That isn't even including the equipment cost, licences, and in our case, a server large enough to support an MMO!
Our base goal is $50,000.
Why did we choose this number? Well on kickstarter, you don't get anything unless you reach at least your base goal. If you don't reach it, you get nothing. Setting the bar too high, and falling short, would not get us anywhere. We would be stuck. Therefore, we had to come up with the lowest amount possible that would still allow us to create a basic game. $50,000 is that bare minimum. With $50,000, we can produce for you a fun and beautiful game that will capture your heart and imagination... but it may take longer, and the content will not be as deep as it could be otherwise.
Your funding is what dictates how mind-blowing Isles of Eventide will be. For every bit above our baseline goal you fund, the game will grow that much more!
Things we can implement with $50,000, but always improve upon with better funding include:
- Prey and Predator intelligence
- Amount/Types of Prey and Predators
- Aesthetic aspect of the game (terrain, foliage, decor, textures,ect)
- Amount and functions of earth magics
- Amount and variability of crafting
- Physics, weather, and day/night behavior
- Depth of customization (for characters, islands, ect)
In order to give you your own goals to reach for, we set in place stretch goals. They are like prizes for the whole community for reaching them! Not only does the game become better and deeper, but you can earn awesome group rewards by working together!
"Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time. " ~H.P. Lovecraft
Reaching the $75,000 stretch goal gives us money to put towards to the ocean! There is a lot of room down there... more than on land even. It would only make sense to fill it with amazing things that make it worth your while to spend time there too. Why have all that space and rarely use it?
The money from this stretch goal would go towards many different areas of the ocean that will improve it's part in the game. With it, we can include:
- More ocean friendly customization options (including but not limited to): gills, aquatic tails, fins, and other magical appendages you can enchant your character to have.
- More underwater fauna and flora.
- More ocean-dwelling boss monsters from the rift.
- More magic and ocean associated quests and items
"I can't tell you if genius is hereditary, because heaven has granted me no offspring." ~James Whistler~
The maternal/paternal instincts lie buried with everyone, no matter how deep. Often, it is cute and fuzzy, puppies, kittens, and foals that bring out the urge to nurture. If you reach $100,000, everyone will be able to satisfy that burning desire.
By having, and raising, offspring of your own, you can delve even deeper into the emotional aspect of the game. Share a bond with your mate in the most rewarding way possible. Forge a story of your own, and leave a legacy to be inherited by your children.
Of course being a successful parent can also gain you stat benefits. It's not easy to raise young to adulthood, so you deserve the reward.
"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." ~Aesop
In the first days of the ice age, all the clans argued, and few could agree on what to do. There were four clans who wished to leave their home, and find a new place to live: Canine, Feline, Equine, and Ave. The three earth bound clans banded together, knowing it was their best chance for survival. Aves, on the other hand, thought otherwise.The birds took to the sky, and ventured off in all directions, knowing the terrestrial clans would just slow them down.
If you are able to raise $150,000, clan Aves will finally be able to find the Isles of Eventide, and end their search for a new home. They will join the ranks of the other three clans, equal in every way... except for the gift of flight of course.
Reaching this goal allows players to choose Aves as a playable character species. To make it more interesting, if this goal is achieved, any kickstarter contributors who have the "custom character appearance in game" can choose a bird! Those of you with a "token for in game adoptable character" will also have the choice to adopt birds from the clan!
At $200,000 we can begin to enhance the Isles of Eventide experience by adding more isles! This, however, is a very demanding and costly endeavor, so how many islands we add, depends on how much money you raise!
For every island we add, you get:
- An entirely new terrain, both above and below the water.
- All new plants, decor, and general environment.
- All new prey to go with the new environment, both terrestrial and aquatic.
- More rune stones and associated magic.
- New boss creature.
- New items and events associated with the island.
- New environment themes for private islands.
- New weather patterns associated with the islands climate
So with all the new things you get, they all have to be created, placed, and coded to behave properly. As was said, it is very demanding, so the price is steep, but it has the potential to be very rewarding.
At $200,000, one more isle will be added.
Every $50,000 after that, gets you another one!
$200,000- Bayou Isle Environment: An island influenced by the freshwater filtering areas of the world. This isle focuses on deep swamp, bayou, wetlands, and mangroves. It's a dangerous and beautiful place where voodoo inspired dark magic reigns.
$250,000- Congo Isle Environment: Based on the deep jungles found in Africa, the Congo Isle is a dense, tropical rain-forest. It features many of the beautiful exotic creatures normally found in that region. A myriad of surprises lurk behind the thick foliage and fast-flowing rivers.
$300,000- Asiatic Forest Environment: The crisp beauty from the land of the panda covers this mountainous isle. It is a cool, moist place, filled with bamboo and blessed with hot springs. Nowhere else can you appreciate the mist on the mountainside from the branches of a ginkgo tree.
$350,000+ ? We will happily keep adding islands if the funds continue to grow. We would like to hear from the community as well what type of islands you would like to see added. Join the forum and take part in the discussions to see what other islands we have in store!
All reward tiers are stacking. That means that every reward receives ALL the tiers below it!
Also remember that you only pay if we reache the $50,000 goal. If it falls short, we get nothing, and you get your money back. That meansno rewards either.
Most information for rewards is gathered at the end of the end of the campaign by a "survey" function hosted by kickstarter. This reward will be gathered that way too, but it is the only reward that you can message us your name as soon as you back it.
Names are reserved on a first come first serve basis. The list of names already claimed can be found here. Please check it to make sure your name is available.
If you message us your name this way, it will be added to a "pending" section of that list. Upon the completion of the campaign, if it is successful, the names on that list will become official. If it fails, then the pending list is cleared.
Risks and challenges
For an independent studio, there are quite a few challenges to face, but they all have a solution.
Funds are the most difficult challenge to overcome. Making a game is expensive, and requires copious amounts of time, talent, and equipment. The kickstarter funds will help with this challenge. We also plan to stay open to donations after kickstarter has ended. Advertising on our sites will also provide some regular income.
Glitches, bugs, and errors are also frequent, so a lot of time goes into keeping things running smoothly. Our own desire to produce a sound, and amazing game is half of what get's us through these issues. Time, patience, and talented people with the know-how to solve these issues are the other half.
Timing is perhaps the most difficult challenge of all. As mentioned, funds and errors cause setbacks, and when there are setbacks, time becomes a problem. It is difficult to set deadlines and projected dates, when something new and problematic could crop up with every step. We combat this by not giving any unrealistic expectations about what we can produce or when it will be done. We would rather over-estimate how long it takes to do something, and then surprise you with it done early, than assume it will be done fast, and end up delayed and disappoint everyone. Time management, determination, and lots of effort is what gets us through things.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (45 days)