Ktizo (pronounced: kuh-TEE-zo): To make a place habitable; To create or form (of God creating the world)
The game Ktizo takes place in a time after Earth is no longer suitable for life. Your job is to build a diverse and thriving ecosystem on a new planet. It's up to you to choose the right species in order to build a viable ecosystem.
Will you create a world crawling with bugs, dominated by giant bird-eating spiders? Or will your ecosystem be a bamboo forest with plenty of fresh plants for pandas and herds of zebras? It's up to you to decide! Challenge your friends and see who can build the better ecosystem!
"I thoroughly enjoy this game and like the hand management and pattern building mechanics of the game...this is a great family game as well as being fun for gamers too. I'd say that the designer has definitely built a winner.
9 out of 10"
--- Jonathan Nelson, Gamingbits.com
"Ktizo is a 30 minute, easy to learn game that’s great for families and gamers... It’s a simple draw/play cards with a focus on nature and the beautiful diversity of species that we currently have on our own planet"
--- Nicole Jekich, AcrosstheBoardGames.Net
Ktizo is a quick (30 min) and casual strategy card game for 2 or 5 players. Players compete to build the most biodiverse ecosystem they can by adding different species cards to their ecosystem to form food chains. Every turn you have 3 actions in which you can manipulate your hand by drawing and discarding cards in order to get the right species for your ecosystem.
Each turn, choose to do any 3 of these actions:
SEARCH: Look at the top 2 cards of the deck. Put one in your hand and discard the other.
DISCARD: Discard a card from your hand, then draw 2 cards.
RECLAIM: Put the top card of the discard pile into your hand.
GROW: Put the top Plant card from the Plant Pile into your ecosystem.
PLAY: Put a species card from your hand into your ecosystem.
Not any species can be put in any ecosystem though! It is important to manage your cards and ecosystem to build foodchains. Every species must match what that species eats (bottom row of the card's icons), with the food source provided by another species (top row of another card).
After your 3 actions, you score points for the different species in your ecosystem. The first player to reach 100 points is the winner! You'll need careful planning and good card management to make the most of your turns. And with over 50 unique species cards, every game is different!
Game Play Video & Full Rules
You can watch a gameplay video
STRETCH GOALS: All KS Exclusive!
You may be asking yourself, "Why should I back this project over any other project on Kickstarter?".... I'm glad you asked!
1) The game has undergone a long process of testing and revisions before being brought to backers. I have quotes from several suppliers so I have a scalable manufacturing plan. In addition, I have already worked with 2 of those manufacturers to produce REAL preview copies of the game so I know it is 'ready to go' and I will be able to deliver a final product to backers very soon after funding is complete.
2) Backing this project on Kickstarter provides you the opportunity to be the first to receive the game. My plan for the game is to eventually take it to retail stores. Backing this project on Kickstarter ensures that you will be one of the first people to own a copy of Ktizo, before it is available in retail stores.
3) Backers on Kickstarter get exclusive species cards that will not be released with the retail version of the game. The ONLY way to get these cards is through Kickstarter.
4) Ktizo is unique in that it is both fun and educational! It offers a chance to learn about new animals and in a way that still offers fun and strategic gameplay for players of all ages.
5) Help me make a dream come true! I've worked on this game, and with the help of many friends, put together a final product that I am very proud of. However, I still need the help of backers to make this game a reality. Backing this game means that YOU are a part of making this game, and more games to come, possible.
6) Save money! At only $20 a copy, you receive 20% off the MSRP of $25, and shipping is completely free to US backers.
Ktizo ships FREE anywhere in the US!
Ktizo is available to ship GLOBALLY!
Please add $10 for shipping to countries outside of the USA
Kevin Wilhelm -- I've been a board-game enthusiast my whole life, but sometimes I find it hard to get my family or some of my friends to dive-in to some of the more complex strategy games (like Power Grid, Terra Mystica, MTG). Because of this, I wanted to design a game that was easy for anyone to learn but offered a level of complexity that was fun for a hard-core gamer. The idea of Ktizo came from my two passions; the world of nature and board-games. Over the last year I've been designing and revising the game along with the help of those listed here, and many others.
Sebastian Koziner -- Sebastian is responsible for all the visual design work of Ktizo. He has taken my idea for a game and turned it into a work of art. He is also a game-designer himself and more of his work can be found here.
O2 GAMES -- The game-designing brother duo of Rob and Gregg Ortiz has been an indispensable resource for me throughout this process. Their experience as the co-founders of O2 games has been a tremendous help in getting this game finalized, as well as major play-testers throughout the design process. You can find more of O2 Game's amazing game Aethersteel here.
Risks and challenges
I've spent a long time working on this project and have tried to foresee any potential problems as best I can. As I mentioned earlier, I have already proofed and tested the game extensively with other play-testers. I have also invested two different "test batches" of my game to ensure that the printers and distributors I'm considering can meet my expectations for timeliness and quality. With several different potential manufacturers lined up, and the game design finished, I feel confident I can meet my promised delivery date. However, potential errors and delays can always occur due to printing or shipping mishaps. I'll do my best to ensure these don't affect my deadlines, and I'll be very transparent with my backers throughout the process so that you are always informed about what is going on throughout the process.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)