About this project
Aquellos que prefieran leerlo en Español, pueden hacerlo en la actualización #1 o pinchando AQUI
Arsies’s Painting ToolBox is a monograph on miniature painting written by me, Javier González, also known by my artist name “Arsies”. It is aimed at all model enthusiasts who wish to widen their toolkit repertoire when taking on a new project.
For those who don’t know me, I’ve been a full-time professional miniature painter since 2009. During this time, I’ve been working as a freelancer both for professional miniature brands such as Origen Art, Stormtroopers, Infamy Miniatures, Nocturna Models, Big Child Productions and some others, and for private collectors and museums.
A while ago I set about collecting everything I could transmit in one document, and it turned out to be enough to write a book. This is the book I’m presenting today.
Arsies’s Painting Toolbox is my toolkit, a compilation of techniques, knowledge and resources that I use when undertaking a project. I hope that you will add all the tools I offer you to your own, so as to have various options to carry out the same task; this is something that helps us to grow in any field, but even more in the field of model figures, where creativity is a top priority.
We’ve worked very hard for just over a year to write this book, which is now completely finished in its Spanish version. It’s an A4 full-colour book with 154 pages divided into 8 chapters, which includes detailed descriptions of the techniques and knowledge needed to understand and apply the resources that will enable you to create excellent miniatures to add to your collection.
The next step is to translate the book into English; this process is already being carried out by a professional translation agency, and will be completed by the time the campaign ends. However, for the book to finally come into existence, we need funding.
We need your help now.
We will be delighted if you like the initiative and would like to buy the book.
If the campaign is a success and goes ahead, every backer who has helped to make it possible will receive the printed book in spring 2017. Also, those who place more trust in us and take the risk of supporting us a little more will receive additional rewards in gratitude, in the form of unlockable goals that we will reveal throughout the campaign as we reach certain targets.
These are the options we offer you:
BRONZE LEVEL BACKER: You support us by buying the book. As easy as that! We will send you the book in the language of your choice, Spanish or English. Its price is € 35 + delivery costs.
GOLD LEVEL BACKER: You truly believe in the project and not only want to buy the book, but also to help us reach our goal. You don’t know how grateful we are! For this reason, not only will you receive the book in the language of your choice, but we’ll also unlock goals for you once the initial target of the campaign is reached, for you to access exclusive extra content. Just for you! Its price is € 50 + delivery costs.
CLUBS OR SHOPS: If you have a shop and want to sell the book to your customers, or if you’re a club or big group of friends who want it, but would rather save on delivery costs or would prefer a cheaper option, you can order a pack with one delivery payment (this pledge has it's own delivery costs). We’ll send you a box of 5 or 10 copies in your chosen language, Spanish or English. We’ll also give you a small discount! This option is the same level as a bronze level backer.
This content will be divided into two categories: Bronze Content, which will be included for ALL the project funders, both bronze and gold level backers.
Gold Content, which will be exclusive to backers who take the risk and strongly support the project (gold level backers)
The goals and rewards we have thought of are:
- (€ 10,000) Bookmarks: Bronze Content, all backers will receive a bookmark along with their order, once this goal has been unlocked.
- (€ 12,500) Stickers: Gold Content. The first time this goal is unlocked it will only be accessible to gold level backers; later, if a new goal is reached (€ 20,000), this content will become bronze content accessible to all backers.
- (€ 15,000) Gallery: Gold Content: All gold level backers will receive a second book with a selection of the best figures painted by me throughout my professional career, with high quality photos of which the majority are not included in the original book.
- (€ 17,500) Hard Cover: Bronze Content: All backers will have an increased book quality, going from soft cover to hard cover. This format will be exclusive to Kickstarter. In the hypothetical case of a second edition, it would always be soft cover.
- (€ 20,000) DVD & Stickers: Stickers now become a bronze level content accessible to everyone, both gold and bronze level backers. Gold level backers add a painting video on DVD to their rewards.
- (€ 22,500) Door Signs: The first time this goal is unlocked it will only be accessible to gold level backers; later, if a new goal is reached (€ 28,500), this content will become bronze content, accessible to all backers. Now you’ll have a customised way to not be disturbed: Modeller at Work!
- (€ 25,000) Step-by-Step Tutorial Compilation: Gold Content. Gold level backers will have their second book extended with a compilation of the step-by-step tutorials I’ve written up until now, both on my website and in specialised magazines.
- (€ 28,500) Door Signs & Second DVD: The door signs are now bronze content, accessible to both bronze and gold level backers. Gold level backers add a second painting video on DVD to their rewards.
Keep in mind that if a goal is unlocked during the campaign, but at the end, due to the flexibility that enables users to modify their contributions, the raised total is less, the goal will be locked again.
My wife, Cris, is part of the team; she took charge of revising the text so as to make it easier to understand, and will help me with distribution and administration. My father, José Carlos, took charge of revising the spelling and grammar, as well as looking for mistakes that no-one else would see. Another important team member is Sara, my two-year-old daughter, who took charge of saying whether it was pretty or ugly; and Nut, my cat, who personally tested the draught paper and cardboard boxes to make sure they were comfortable and cosy.
And finally, Javier González, Arsies, I who have carried out the bulk of the work on both the contents and layout.
Why are the delivery costs high?
We want the best for you, and although cheaper options are available, we want every funder to be assured that they will receive their product; therefore we will carry out delivery either by messenger or by recorded delivery. Packaging and handling must be added to these costs.
As we are a small company and only occasionally have high shipping volumes, we have no weight with which to negotiate with our service providers, which means the delivery costs we estimate are practically the same as those for private individuals. Shipping to bronze backers is established on a weight basis of 500 to 1000 g, whereas we estimate a basis of 1000 to 2000 g for gold backers. Despite this, and being fully aware of the difficulties, we are working to improve price estimations. If we achieve this, the improvement will have an effect on you, as we will unlock new goals or enable access to them.
Single Bronze (a bit less than 1kg):
- Spain: 8 €
- Europe: 16 €
- USA: 20 €
- Worldwide: 25 €
Single Gold or 2x Bronze (a bit less than 2 Kg):
- Spain: 8 € (4 € you + 4 € your friend in Bronze x2)
- Europe: 23 € (11,50 € you + 11,50 € your friend in Bronze x2)
- USA: 30 € (15 € you + 15 € your friend in Bronze x2)
- Worldwide: 40 € (20 € you + 20 € your friend in Bronze x2)
Gold x2 (Between 3,5 to 4 kg):
- Spain: 10 € (5 € you + 5 € your friend)
- Europe: 30 € (15 € you + 15 € your friend)
- USA: 35 € (17,50 € you + 17,50 € your friend)
- Worldwide: 45 € (22,50 € you + 22,50 € your friend)
Bronze x3 (a bit less than 3 kg):
- Spain: 10 € (3,35 € each one)
- Europe: 30 € (10 e each one)
- USA: 35 € (11,70 € each one)
- Worldwide: 45 € (15 € each one)
Gold x3 (a bit more than 4 kg):
- Spain: 15 € (5 € each one)
- Europe: 30 € (10 € each one)
- Usa & Worldwide: 60 € (20 € each one)
Clubes x5 (from 4 to 5 kg):
- Spain: 15 € (3 € each one)
- Europe: 30 € (6 € each one)
- USA & Worldwide: 60 € (12 € each one)
Clubes x 10 (around 8 kg):
- Spain: 20 € (2 € each one)
- Europe: 40 € (4 € each one)
- USA & Worldwide: 80 € (8 € each one)
Also, this pledge saves 2,50 € in each book as pack discount.
Clubs GOLD x5:
- Spain: 20 € (4 € each one)
- Europe: 40 € (8 € each one)
- USA & Worldwide: 80 € (16 € each one)
Clubs GOLD x10:
- Spain: 20 € (2 € each one)
- Europe: 60 € (6 € each one)
- USA & Worldwide: 140 € (14 € each one)
Also, this pledge saves 2,50 € in each book as pack discount.
Risks and challenges
If the campaign does not reach it's goal you will not be charged for anything, so you are not really risking your money.
However, if the campaign is successful, some unexpected situations may arise that delay the calendar, in such a way that in the worst case scenario, your book will arrive one or two months late. We don’t expect anything like this to happen, not only because we did our homework before the campaign, but also because this is the second time we are taking on such a challenge, as a few years ago we successfully collaborated in the sponsorship of “Modelling, Stories in Miniature”, another monograph, written by the sculptor Antonio Fdez. Lizaso.
Another possible risk is that the book gets lost during shipping. This is not our fault, but if it were to happen we would do our best to locate your book.
Of course, another risk may arise that we have not thought of, in which case we would find a solution to it.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (34 days)