Cicero is a tool of 26 cards that you can place wherever you want and which helps you analyse, structure and write your speeches.
We are Matteo and Andrea. We are inventors. We designed two very successful products (Intùiti Creative Cards and Fabula Storytelling Cards). And this time we decided to work on a solution for efficiently speaking in public.
You can place Cicero on walls, tables, floors or any other available surface, with the help of adhesive putty or tape. Each card is like a box to fill, so you can just arm yourself with post-its and a pen, and start working your speech!
In each deck you'll find:
- 7 GROUNDWORK cards;
- 5 MAIN POINTS DEVELOPMENT cards;
- 14 STRUCTURE cards:
- a booklet with instructions.
THE GROUNDWORK CARDS
The GROUNDWORK cards are the white cards in your deck and they help you organise the basic elements of your speech.
They give you the right questions, for example:
- Who's the audience?
- What are their expectations?
- How much time do you have?
- What's the goal of your speech?
Place the GROUNDWORK cards and build the context of your speech, sticking around them notes, images and whatever comes to your mind!
DEVELOPING THE MAIN POINTS
The Main Points are the cores of your speech. This is the most crucial phase: imagine it as a sort of brainstorming. Start asking yourself: "What do I want to say? What are the most essential topics? So... which are the main points of my speech?".
Each Main Point is composed of:
- a Key Sentence – This is the concept you want to communicate (e.g. "My product is very useful", "The groom will be a loyal husband", "This company has a glorious history");
- Facts to support the sentence – To say something is not enough: you should always provide proofs and facts to confirm your Key Sentence (e.g. if you are selling a product, you can describe the reason why it's useful; if you are saying the groom is loyal, you would tell some anecdotes about it);
- a Transition to the next Main Point – It never sounds right to jump from one topic to another. Sometimes the right phrase is enough (e.g. "I told you about our product, now I wanna tell you something about the creation process", or "Well, now you know about the groom, but what about the bride?").
After defining your Main Points, you need to decide which is the most effective way to connect them. It could be using a chronological order, or an analytical one (first describe the product, then the benefits, then the team behind it), or the Problem/Solution strategy. That's what you'll be able to define with the card Pattern.
BUILDING YOUR SPEECH
With the Structure Cards (the black cards in the deck) you can consider all the elements of your speech and start writing your first draft.
We followed a very effective structure that can be adapted successfully to any kind of speech:
- Lure – In the first part of your speech you should say something to grab the audience attention (The Hook) and to explain them why they should trust you in what you are saying (The Credibility Statement);
- Introduce – Now it's the moment to start promising something to your audience, to underline a problem they didn't consider yet but that you are going to solve;
- Main Points – Here you can use the Main Points you developed with the red cards!
- Conclusion – At the end of the speech, you'll make sure to recap all the important information and to create a call to action in the audience.
You will be able to control every detail: Figures of Speech, Actions, Gestures, the Tone of the Voice, and the Slides you are gonna project (if needed).
IT WORKS WITH ANY KIND OF SPEECH
We tested Cicero and the structure is perfectly flexible:
The development took almost a year. For the first 3 months we studied the theory of Public Speaking in order to synthesise a practical and easy-to-use structure. Then we worked on the actual product to create a delightful experience. At last, we tested Cicero with around 20 users and the results were extraordinary!
Andrea Binasco and Matteo di Pascale are true creative souls. Andrea is an expert teacher and Matteo is a designer, author of Intùiti Creative Cards. Together they designed Fabula, a framework for Storytelling.
Marco Venturini is a Public Speaking expert and a Communication Consultant. Author of several books on Communication Skills, he is columnist for important newspaper.
Risks and challenges
As we did with our previous project Fabula, we set the goal at the minimum possible because we want to see it realised and we want people to use Cicero.
We are ready for all circumstances. We know very well how to produce card decks (see http://www.intuiti.it and https://fabuladeck.com/), and as every entrepreneurs we have our own history of production and shipping issues and we are now able to handle them better than ever.
So trust us: we are going to make you satisfied as much as you want!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)