Would you like to learn to create skills (apps) for Amazon Alexa?
Would you like to hear more about it?
Are you ready to be a backer?
To see the SSML marked up text used to create these audio tracks, check out this Google Doc.
What I want to build for you.
I want to create a full course to teach a novice (or indeed an experienced coder!) how to create Amazon Alexa apps (called skills) using Node.js®. This will start completely from scratch, showing you how to create accounts on Amazon's AWS and Developer Portal, introduce you to programming basics, moving on quickly to making real apps/skills for the Alexa, including location-based apps, games, audio or video (using the Echo Show) streaming apps, and much more.
I am a mentor at bloc.io where I have taught hundreds of people how to be great developers. I've also been involved in Alexa since it started and was named an Alexa Champion by Amazon (one of only 24). It's my passion to help others learn to ship apps on Alexa, and you can expect this course to reflect my skill as a mentor and my knowledge as an Alexa expert.
The course will cover all the aspects of the Alexa SDK, including SSML (Speech Synthesis Markup Language), user tracking, localization (UK English and German), companion app output, Echo Show interface elements, Flash Briefings, audio streaming, and more advanced topics.
Amazon does not release sales or usage numbers for how many Echo devices are sold, but it is the clear leader in the exploding voice centered platform battle. The number of appliances and devices that now communicate with Alexa, and only with Alexa, is exploding. It’s a fantastic opportunity for developers to get in on the ground floor of a whole new ecosystem.
The full price of the course for non-backers will be $249.
What makes this course different from others?
- Students will get full lifetime access (including video downloads) for a single one-time fee.
- The tutor is a qualified and experienced mentor, so he's able to explain complex concepts clearly, as well as entertain along the way.
- The tutor is an Amazon Alexa Champion - an Amazon recognized Alexa expert.
- The course is project-based, so students will not just be learning dry programming concepts, but applying them immediately to make real apps.
What do I get with the course?
- Over 20 hours of fun, practical, video lessons explaining from scratch how to make great and highly functional apps/skills for Alexa.
- Access to private GitHub repositories with the starter projects.
- Bonus content on how to promote your apps/skills.
Who is this for?
- Anyone who wants to join the voice app revolution: Alexa skills (apps) can be created by anyone with some training. Get trained here!
- Anyone who wants to be an app developer: This will be a full course, it will teach you how to build and ship apps for the Amazon Alexa.
- Anyone who wants to understand how Alexa and voice apps work: Learning how to make apps will expand your understanding, your skills, and your world. Get big!
Who am I?
Hi! I’m Mark. I am a mentor at bloc.io where I have taught hundreds of students how to become iOS, front-end, and full stack developers.
Through my Alexa advocacy, I have helped developers publish hundreds of Alexa skills. I'm passionate about helping others become developers and thereby to become better versions of themselves.
Why am I doing a Kickstarter?
I love Kickstarter. I launched several campaigns and I've had successes; and failures. With each effort, I've learned and grown. Here I go again!
When will I get access to the course?
I will be working on the course over the next couple of months - my aim is to release the course in November 2017.
Risks and challenges
There are relatively few risks here. I will not be spending your money up front, so in the very unlikely circumstances that I am unable to complete the course, I will refund everyone.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)