About this project
John wrote a little story in 2012 called "War of the Worlds: Retaliation." He posted it on a fan fiction site. Lots of people liked it. In 2014, I started harassing John to let me help him rewrite it into a novel, and try selling it to a major publisher in 2015. We expanded the story, I got to work on artwork, and started soliciting the major publishers. Many were interested, but no one wanted to take the chance on a couple of indie authors from Arizona. Many of them told us that they just didn't know how to market our novel.
Fast forward to November 2016. The story is complete. Editing, proofreading, layout & formatting are complete. January 3rd, 2017 is when we'll publish this tome. We have the signed contract for the audiobook. We're actively soliciting non-English translations. All the art is done. Each format with the exception of the hardcover & audiobook is ready to go.
It's $125 for an ISBN since John and I are in the USA. LSI charges $49 as a hardcover setup fee. The remainder of the $300 we're trying to raise will go toward interior formatting of the hardcover, and an estimate of the fees and shipping costs for making good on the rewards. If we have any money left over after covering all these costs, we're going to kick something to the narrator, if he delivers the completed audiobook ahead of schedule.
Finally, anyone who pledges at the $25 level or above, I'll send a link to download an advance reader copy (eARC) once their pledge is confirmed. So, even if the project isn't funded, those awesome backers will still get an eBook.
Risks and challenges
John and I both have day jobs, so the goal of this Kickstarter isn't to make money for ourselves. I've done some research and am only asking for a realistic amount to get the project completed. If we do end up with substantial pledge overages, we'll roll that money into advertising, and probably kick in more rewards. What those may be, I don't know.
The eBook and paperbacks are already complete. Since this is supposed to be the risks and challenges section, I'll think about worst case scenario: the audiobook. That's the only unknown. A late release of that will certainly cause some consternation, but I expect that the narrator will meet our timeline. I was very specific on dates and times, and the narrator signed the contract knowing what John and I expected.
Of course, if the totally unexpected happens, i.e. the narrator has some sort of emergency and is unable to complete the project, I've maintained contact with John and my second choice for narrator. That scenario would likely delay the audiobook by 30 - 60 days, but it'll still get done.
As for the hardcover, the formatter has guaranteed a turn-around time of a full weekend, so I'm not worried about that either. The end date of the campaign was selected so that everything is within a margin of error for all our deliverables.
I guess the takeaway is that everyone involved with this project is super stoked to be involved in the first War of the Worlds sequel to come out after the Wells' copyright termination, so they're all pushing to make this project a success.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (16 days)