Our vision is to show how rooftop farming is a vital part of the urban agriculture movement to create a sustainable and equitable food system. Join us by helping us grow fruits & vegetables, organically & sustainably on the roof. The rewards for your pledges include options to visit us for a tour, cool gear, fresh produce, and even come by to volunteer on the rooftop!
WHY SHOULD WE FARM THE ROOFTOP?
Why not farm all that empty space?! The more options we have--like community gardens, vacant lots, entire buildings--the more food we can produce that's local, healthy, and environmentally friendly. Check out The Urban Canopy's website and then The Plant's website for even more information, pictures, and more.LOCAL FOOD is produced as close as possible to our plates!
- Less food transportation, storage, refrigeration, & processing
- Means less gas used & fewer harmful emissions
- More freshness
- Higher nutritional content
- Plants help absorb sunlight
- Food for residents/tenants
- Extra money for building owner
- LOCAL JOBS
HEALTH is of the utmost importance!
- Fresh food instead of fast food
- Plants absorb greenhouse gasses and produce oxygen
- Green space is vital for our souls
- Major cities have about 3 day worth of fresh food...Food Security!
The funds of this Kickstarter campaign will be used to purchase most of the stuff needed to farm 3000 sq. feet of the rooftop. Specifically: water pumps, reservoirs, tubing, piping, air pumps, seeds, and so on...
We estimate that this rooftop farm will then produce about 2,700 pounds of lettuces, mustard greens, chards, kale, peppers, tomatoes, squash, and more!
We will update the website with weekly information about water/electricity used, what's in season, and how much is produced. Long story short, you're enabling an empty rooftop to produce healthy food.
- $5 - Thank you for your support! Be our ambassador by sharing our kickstarter link with your friends and family.
- $10 - Come by for a tour anytime after March. Schedule tbd in updates section.
- $25 - Urban Canopy logo bag. Perfect for carrying fresh fruits & veggies.
- $35 - Urban Canopy logo organic cotton t-shirt. Feel free to wear it during a tour or while volunteering on the roof with us.
- $50 - Got a bag? come fill it with fresh fruits & veggies from the farm. Or we'll send you a bag with seeds to grow your own food for 2012.
- $100 - Name one of the growing systems
- $250 - Intimate dinner for two, ON THE ROOFTOP FARM, by a professional chef...vegan, veggie, or simply local. Available June through September. UPDATE: The Chef will be Adriana of Zullo's! (check out www.zullosinc.com)
- $250 - Do what we do, in your community: DVD explanation of hydroponic growing, blueprints, parts list, etc.
- $600 - CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) - We'll deliver a full Urban Canopy logo bag of groceries from the rooftop farm every week throughout the season: roughly beginning of June through beginning of November (~22 weeks). Great option if you want fresh veggies throughout the season, less than $30 per delivery!
- $1000 - Dinner for you and up to 7 friends, ON THE ROOFTOP FARM, by a professional chef...vegan, veggie, or simply local. Available June through September. UPDATE: The Chef will be Adriana of Zullo's! (check out www.zullosinc.com)
- $2,500 - Naming rights to the entire rooftop farm! Highlighted on tours, in our literature, on the media, during workshops, & with a LARGE SIGN.
Please help us with shipping costs by pledging a few extra bucks.
Willing to ship internationally, please pledge a few more extra bucks.
We'll start shipping things in March/April.
Hmmm, nothing to disclaim. Oh, try at home ONLY if you're roof is deemed appropriate by a professional.
--The Urban Canopy
- (40 days)