Now We Skate Downhills - Boarder Kontrol Skateboards
Kids learn SAFELY and adults skate downhill with control - just a normal skateboard with attachable features, including a brake!
THANK YOU TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO BACKED US - WE WON'T FORGET YOU Sorry it wasn't to be but you can follow us on www.streetboardz.net
Boarder Kontrol - the most practical skateboard for commuting
- Ride the board normally - The board is a normal high-performance cruiser board for commuting.
- Brake with control on hills - You will stop just like a car, bike or scooter.
- Carry your board - You will always have a free hand to carry a phone, tablet, laptop or briefcase. Perfect for a busy city life.
- Pack the leash away - Packs down to fit in your hand, clip to your belt or go in your pocket.
How the brakes work?
- The leash pulls a cable.
- The cable pulls on brake levers.
- Brake levers push pads against steel discs.
- The harder you pull, the quicker the board stops.
- The rider is simultaneously braced by the leash.
The History of Boarder Kontrol - how we unravelled an 80 year old mystery
Streetboardz has been manufacturing skateboards and distributing internationally since 2009.
Four years ago, during a product meeting, we became curious when we noted that skateboards were the only wheeled vehicles not fitted with standardised brakes. Further exploration and research confirmed that this is for a good reason.
Bikes, cars and scooters have practical braking systems because handlebars, seats and seat belts brace the operator but a skateboard rider (standing upright) is vulnerable to the forward forces created if a board slowed suddenly with a rider standing on top.
Subsequent research indicated that this lack of control was a major deterrent for many people from ever considering to ride a skateboard.
So we experimented with bracing options and the Boarder Kontrol braking concept was born.
Then came the testing
Ten prototypes and four years later, we have a product that has amazed every skater who has ridden it - even the hard-core and sceptics.
The leash simultaneously engages the brakes and braces the rider from the forward inertia experienced as the board slows.
Because the braking discs are small, we discovered that the brakes didn't 'grab' or 'bite', rather the brake engagement was gradual and smooth and the rear arm action came very naturally to all riders.
During testing we found that the extra '3rd point of contact' also provided riders with extra stability and falling off the skateboard became less likely - particularly for beginners.
Then highly skilled skateboard riders who could brake by dragging their foot or power-sliding were all amazed at the control the Boarder Kontrol braking system provided.
It was at his time we decided to patent the innovation in all major markets and make the Boarder Kontrol braking concept a reality.
We have chosen to launch via Kickstarter because we are fans of the platform and we want to reward early adopters and our supporters.
The board specs
- Weight: 3.75 kilograms
- 8 ply deck suitable for all weights
- Length: 37.5 inches long
- Wheels: Diameter - 70 mm, Hardness - 83A
- Bearings: ABEC 7
- Board Performance: It goes well! - it has been set up by professionals.
Replaceable brake pads
The brake pads ($4 per set x 2) are replaceable presenting a sensible option in comparison to $100 skate-shoes.
The Leash/Carry Strap
- The leash simultaneously engages the brake and braces the rider.
- The leash is a one-time adjustable strap. It can be set for a person of any height; both adults and children.
- The leash converts to carry strap. First clip to the rear cable, then slip handle over either front wheel.
- The leash pack inside the handle creating a small velcro case to conveniently fit in a pocket, attach to a belt or slip over your hand.
How well can you stop on steep hills?
Our Kickstarter video was filmed on Alexander St, Collaroy, NSW, the most revered hill in our district - the Boarder Kontrol board was able to be stopped at any time on this hill.
Check out our testing hill here on Google Earth;
Our braking tips
Alexander Street was great test for the Boarder Kontrol board. Boarder Kontrol will stop you but the steeper the hill the more difficult it will be for you to stop.
- The steeper you go the more difficult it will be to stop.
- Don't let the board run away on you with too much speed.
- If you pick up too much speed, the board will be more difficult to stop.
- It's best to control your speed with a combination of turns and braking.
Expected braking power
- Imagine the stopping power you would experience if you just applied the rear brakes on your bicycle.
- This will be similar to the braking power of the Boarder Kontrol board as it only activates brakes on the rear wheels of the skateboard.
- We recommend riders to always wear a helmet and protective gear.
- We recommend to not allow a board to roll faster than the rider can run.
- Always check parts for wear and tear and check for loose nuts, bolts or screws.
- Avoid riding near traffic and/or obstacles.
- Observe all local traffic laws, rules and regulations.
- The steel brake disc can become very hot after extensive braking, do not touch the steel disc within 10 minutes of use.
- Skateboard riding is an extreme activity, we are attempting to make it safer but people who choose to ride a skateboard do so at their own risk.
- Always check parts for wear and tear and regularly check all adjustable parts; nuts, bolts, screws, cables and leash.
- Skidding the rear wheels by braking hard will create flat-spots which then quickly deteriorate - one skid will begin the deterioration.
- There is no warranty against flat-spots, this is recognised as fair wear and tear.
- Defective parts or workmanship are covered under a 6 month warranty.
First time riders
- Most skate coaches will tell you that the greatest problem first-time skateboard riders experience is the skateboard rolling out from under them.
- Boarder Kontrol helps to prevent this problem, now beginners can more safely learn 'balance while in motion.'
The Retro-fitted kit
Please note that the Retro-fitted rear truck will only match a longboard with a reverse angle King-pin truck set (which is how most longboards are set up).
The Retro-fitted kit comes complete with the parts pictured below
- Adjustable Leash/Carry Strap
- Front wheels to fit to your existing front truck (so that you have a full set of 4 matching wheels).
- An extra set of 2 x replacement brake pads.
- A 20mm hole-saw drill-bit to drill a hole in your existing skateboard deck.
All replacement parts will be available on the Streetboardz website www.streetboardz.net from May 2016.
- Standard bicycle brake cables can be used to replace the brake cable.
- Our rear wheels are unique, they have a moulded core that slots 'male to female' over the stainless steel brake discs.
Regular replacement parts
- Outward thrust roller pin bearings (for outer rear wheels).
- Replacement brake pads.
- Wheels (front and back) of varying colours and hardnesses.
- Brake cables (rarely required).
- Abec 7 inner wheel bearings.
- Replacement leashes.
Risks and challenges
At Streetboardz, we have been manufacturing skateboards and distributing internationally since 2009. Our core product range have been specialised skateboards which are used for surf training.
We use a world-leading skateboard manufacturer to produce our products. We have cemented a strong and trusted relationship with this manufacturer over the past five years in which their services have consistently met our standards.
Our manufacturer has always delivered our products on time and their quality control measures have been very satisfactory.
Our manufacturer is excited about the Boarder Kontrol concept and shares a strong interest to make sure our first production run is a success and that our customers (backers) receive quality products on time.
90% of our project costs have already been paid for. We will use money forwarded from Kickstarter backers to pay for the remaining costs and to pay for the first production run of Boarder Kontrol skateboards.
If we achieve our small target of $50,000 we will easily have product delivered to backers by the end of May 2016 (give or take 2 weeks), this is even allowing for all holiday-season interruptions.
We have five years experience exporting skateboards and we don't expect any problems to deliver the Boarder Kontrol rewards as promised.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)