This project supports kicking it forward.
We're going for the hard copy now. =)
$10,000 All backers $25 and higher will receive a high quality print of each of our iconics hand signed by the artist, publisher, lead designer, and fluff designer. The set includes: high elf, dark elf, dwarf, gnome, human, vykati, spark, and charlatan.
$12,500 Hardcopy version of the World Guide for all backers $100 and higher and an RPG Terah shirt for all backers $55 and higher. One copy of the World Guide for every $100 backed, up to 10 total at $500 and 12 at $3,000.
$15,000 Hardcopy version of the first adventure path module for all backers $45 or higher.
$17,500 Hardcopy version of the first adventer path module to all backers $35 or higher and a hardcopy version of the second adventure path module for all backers $45 and higher.
$20,000 Really exciting stuff. I'll announce it when we get the second stretch goal. (And no, it's not just the third AP module going to print. =) )
A World of Industry and Magic
Dirigibles hover silently over dark streets. The hiss of gas lamps mingles with the soft, far-off chanting of wizards. A grizzled mercenary guards the railstation, a rune-inscribed pistol at his side.
This is the world of Terah, a Steampunk Campaign setting for the Pathinder Roleplaying Game. The Terah World Guide is slated to come out this July at PaizoCon 2012 and will be the flagship product of Rossi Publishing Games. Although the project is already partially funded and the release date is certain, further donations will allow us to add more art/other content to the World Guide and will speed up the rate at which we can release further supplements once the World Guide has been published.
Currently, the world guide contains these exciting features:
- The World of Terah: A carefully constructed campaign setting rife with history, culture, and exciting set pieces. Attend the underground universities of Khauzi or explore the inner workings of Clocktower Fortress.
- The Spark: A mad scientist who crafts magnificent wonders with a mix of magic, technology, and pure insanity. Based off of the Girl Genius Webcomic by Phil and Kaja Foglio
- The Charlatan: A con-man who works fantastic illusions and tricks his way out of trouble with a silver tongue.
- The Vykati : A race of tribal wolf-men that lurk near the edges of civilization, fighting to preserve their culture amidst the tumult of industry.
- Telepathy and Telekinesis Feat Lines: Psychic powers for the strong of mind or the curious of spirit.
- The Runeworker Feat Line: Prepare the battlefield by inscribing runes on walls, weapons or armor.
- Automatons: Create mechanical servants or unstoppable vehicles, minute sidekicks or monstrous behemoths.
- And Much More: Gain access to new feats, knowledge skills, magic (and not so magic) items, monsters and spells.
Exciting, no? Yet with your help we could add so much more! Here are some things we want to add to the World Guide or put in later supplements:
- More Art: More money hires us more professional artists, allowing us to immerse you in the tone and atmosphere of Terah itself.
- More Goodies: In addition to artists, we can use your donated money to hire more writers to add spells, items, and monsters to the world guide or future publications. As an example, one idea for feats that has yet to be explored is Metamagic item feats, which would allow you to modify magic items the same you would modify your spells.
- City Guides: If enough interest is shown in the setting itself, we could expand the world of Terah with supplements much like the Player Guide supplements for Golarion.
- More Adventure Paths: If adventure paths 1 and 2 aren't enough for you, any donations we get could go towards publishing even more adventure paths. The Steampunk genre is rife with adventure hooks and interesting set pieces, Terah even more so. We would love to have the chance to tell more stories about some of our favorite locations.
- Maps: More artists also means that we can include full-color maps of the cities and dungeons of Terah. Whether you need a quick adventure or just want to be prepared for when your players begin to explore Terah, maps keep your players playing... even after they wander away from the plot.
- Dirigible combat: A strong initial investment will allow us to publish a supplement
improving on Aerial combat in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. Use your fly skill to dominate the skies with biplanes, air-ships or rocket-launching hawk automatons.
- And Much, Much More: Who knows where Rossi Publishing Games will go after our first release? With a supportive community and a bit of money, we can continue to publish exciting, creative material.
Even if you don't feel comfortable donating, we'd love to have your support. Do you have an idea? Do you consider yourself a Steampunk afficionado? Email me at Valarian.Rossi@gmail.com and tell me all about it! If we think the idea fits or is particularly good, and you're willing to let us use it, you might get one of the rewards listed to the right. Your input only makes us better, and when it comes time to publish your own third-party stuff it never hurts to have a friend in the industry.
Read about the new charlatan base class and more at our blog: http://theterahproject.wordpress.com
In direct answer to a couple of common questions:
The page count is still a little up in the air. I can guarentee around 150 pages. The original plan was 250 and I know that we won't exceed that.
A hardcover for backing is impossible to estimate until I know 1. How many I'd need and 2. How many pages it would be. I'm not into promising pie I can't deliver. I also want to make sure that the cost of a hardcover is competitive. If I can't profitablely sell it to customers for $40 (the current industry sales price for a World Guide), I'm going to be very cautious before I enter the market.
The idea behind the kickstarter is to well, kickstart the company. I've seen more than one company push too far and end up having to use kickstarter over and over to stay in business. Starting with .pdfs allows me to avoid that cycle until I have a better idea of the playing field.
Do we plan on releasing a hardcover? For sure, but it will be once we know more about how we fit into a pretty crowded market.
The playtest is on Paizo.com with the pdf available from their downloads. You can search for "Terah Project" to find some of the discussion that has happened before.
Support this project
- (60 days)