The Mischief & Misadventure Campaign Planner is a specially-designed disc-bound planner for DMs and GMs, and is the companion book to the MMCD (which is geared towards players)
While the majority of the pages in our books will work great with any system (we've used them for D&D, Shadowrun, Open Legend, and Star Wars), there are a few pages (such as the Encounter Spread, above) that are designed to organize information in a way that is specific to a certain RPG system. When the MMCD launched earlier this year, the only system that was supported was Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition
However, thanks to the strong support of our backers, we will be making versions of system-specific pages available for at least FIVE other systems: Pathfinder, Starfinder, and three additional systems that will be chose by our backers!
We've also partnered with some of our favorite nerdy vendors whose products we use at our table every week
If you want to learn more about the MMCD and Campaign Planners themselves, scroll down below the Stretch Goals section for details!
A Couple Quick Notes
International Backers - We realize how expensive shipping outside the US is (even to Canada), and while we can't make it cost any less, we will be including a little something extra in every package that leaves the US
Additional Books, Addons, or Accessories - You can either increase your pledge or wait until the pledge manager opens up to add additional books (either MMCDs or Campaign Planners), as well as any components or accessories either from our shop or unlocked as stretch goals. The only difference is that, should you choose to increase your pledge, you can help raise the overall funding to unlock additional stretch goals during the campaign. You can also find more information in our FAQ.
Please also see our FAQ for more information on shipping, the exclusive "Wyrmsblood" design, adding additional books and accessories to your pledge, how our Retail Bundle differs from the rest of our tiers, and more
Custom Cover Designs
Two of our limited edition reward tiers (Dressed to Impress and Ultimate Table) feature custom cover designs to give you or your party a truly bespoke experience
Having a hard time picturing it? Take a peek at an early design draft of Amber's beloved Tiefling Cleric, Arasinya. The die cut features the holy symbol of the Devourer (Arasinya's deity) and peeking through from behind is the glorious full-color artwork on the inner cover.
Tier 1 - FULLY UNLOCKED
- $5,000 (UNLOCKED) - All backers can now choose between Top-Bound and Left-Bound books
- $10,000 (UNLOCKED)- New bright shimmery colors (over a vibrant full-color map) will be available to all backers in our Spellcraft series
- $15,000 (UNLOCKED)- Every book will now ship with an Accessory Pack (high-quality full-color stickers plus a sturdy divider/bookmark) and backers can now choose between the standard Square Grid, new Hex Grid, and new Isometric Dot styles for their map pages!
- $20,000 (UNLOCKED)- The WorldBuilder's Kit (additional tools to help you design and track regions, kingdoms, governments, powerful families, and similar details that may influence your players either directly or indirectly)
- $25,000 (UNLOCKED)- Pathfinder versions of all the system-specific sheets in both the MMCD and Campaign Planner
Tier 2 - FULLY UNLOCKED
- $30,000 (UNLOCKED) - The Party Pack includes pages specially designed to track your group inventory, party funds, and quest/mission progress, and reaching this tier will add a Party Pack to every MMCD!
$35,000 (UNLOCKED) - We will add support for one additional game, voted for by the backers
$40,000 (UNLOCKED) - Special bonus! In addition to adding a second backer-selected game, we'll throw in a new Dungeons & Dragons Adventurer's League Character Pack Variant to easily record your downtime, renown and DCI
- $45,000 (UNLOCKED) - We will add support for a third backer-picked game
- $50,000 (UNLOCKED) - Magic Item Cards: reinforced, disc-bound cards that can easily be swapped from DM to Player or between Players
Tier 3 - Ultimate Goals
- $60,000 - The C4 Pack (Critters, Companions, Conjurations, & Constructs) for tracking everything from beast shapes to familiars, pets to henchmen, and other friendly entities
Mischief & Misadventure For Everyone At Your Table
Earlier this year, we launched the Mischief & Misadventure Campaign Diary (available now), or MMCD for short.
The MMCD's unique lay-flat disc-binding lets players add, rearrange, and even remove pages as needed, in order to adapt and grow with a character throughout their adventuring career
More than just a basic notebook, the MMCD includes character sheets, wet-erase overlays, spell sheets, and a number of flexibly-designed pages. It was, from the start, designed to best serve players' needs
But where would players be without their DMs?
Since the launch of the MMCD, it has always been our plan to design a book specifically for dungeon masters. And, finally, it's ready to make its debut!
The larger, 7" x 8.5" Mischief & Misadventure Campaign Planner utilizes the same flexible disc-bound design as our Diaries, but is built from the ground up to support both phases that dungeon and game masters alternate between: Preparation and Execution
Some parts of the Campaign Planner may look familiar. The Session notes, Note paper, and Quad pages are largely unchanged (at least, besides taking advantage of the increased real-estate), while the Grid Sheets and Sketch Packs are getting a little bit of a redesign to make them better suited for dungeon and encounter planning
That's where the similarities end. The rest of the Planneris brand new!
The Encounter Spread
For players, the MMCD Encounter Spread consists simply of a well-formatted character sheet. DMs, however, have slightly different needs.
The Campaign Planner's Encounter Spread has three distinct sections:
- The Party Snapshot tracks key stats for each PC in the party, such as AC, Spell DC, Max HP, Proficiency Bonus, and commonly-used passive stats (Perception, Insight, and Stealth)
- The Initiative Board is a reusable template for tracking initiative order and HP totals for all the participants in an encounter. It's designed to be used with the Planner's wet-erase overlays, allowing fields to be updated as an encounter progresses
- The Enemy Block lets you take advantage of the flexibility of the disc- binding and move encounter-planning pages into and out of the spread. If you don't have an encounter page prepared, the NPC Quick Stats table is ready and waiting to help you improvise encounters
While the standard encounter area has room for three stat blocks, each Planner includes a handful of Major Encounter variant pages that have one large and one standard stat block, providing you with plenty of room for notes on your Big Bad, such as legendary actions, lair actions, and major abilities and attacks
The Planner features a number of pages designed to help you keep track of your NPCs throughout their evolution from Throwaway Peasant to Honorary Party Member
The Names List helps you prepare and manage a list of names for a particular demographic (based on race/species, class, faction, village or region, etc), so that whenever your players stop a random stranger in the street, you're always ready with a name. By every name, there are spaces to quickly jot down the session number they were first introduced and a space for additional notes about the character (accent/voice, distinctive features, location, etc.)
When an NPC graduates to needing stats, the Stat Blocks pages give you abbreviated character sheets, and the Major NPC sheets let you fully flesh out an NPC to a near-PC level of detail - perfect for villains and major allies alike
On the other end of the spectrum, not every NPC needs its own stat block (or even a name). When you need to improvise an NPC's stats, the NPC Quick Stats table will provide you baseline hit points, AC, hit bonus, damage, and major/minor stats, organized by equivalent PC level, and can easily be scaled to make an unplanned encounter either more or less difficult
Sessions and Story Arcs
Session Pages in the Campaign Planner closely resemble their MMCD brethren, but they make use of the extra width in the Planner to add a lined margin. Like most of the Planner and Diary, the space itself isn't opinionated and everyone will use it differently, but some of the things we've used it for are:
- Noting when NPCs are introduced and what they've told the party
- Marking which fork in the plot the party took
- Making quick, mid-session notes on things to prepare for next week
A new page type that's exclusive to the Campaign Planner is the Story Arc Outline. These guided sheets are designed to help you plan (and re-plan, and re-re-plan) multi-session story arcs within your campaign. They dig a bit deeper than the standard "Location", "Villain", "Reward" fields, with prompts such as:
- What does the villain want?
- Who do they have on their side?
- Who (besides the party) wants them to fail?
- What will they do if they get what they want before the PCs stop them?
Upgrades to the MMCD
This Kickstarter is all about funding the purchase of new tools to allow us to make better books. Additionally, some of the features in the Planner will also make their way to the MMCD as design updates
One of the prettier changes we've made is how we make the stiff inner covers. Our new process lets us run the image right to the edge of the page (what's known as full-bleed printing)
We have a number of other upgrades and options lined up as stretch goals that will be available for both the new Planner and the original MMCD, including a top-bound design, thicker die-cut covers, and even a full-blown hardcover option
Mischief & Misadventure in the #Retroverse
We've teamed up with Lasers & Liches to offer a limited edition die-cut Iron Mistress cover design for the MMCD and Campaign Planner featuring the incredible artwork of Lluis Abadias
The Iron Mistress design will be available for any Mischief & Misadventure book or cover reward, just choose it as your cover design in the pledge manager!
NOTE: Even though the Retroverse Kickstarter has been delayed, this limited edition cover will still be available to Mischief & Misadventure backers! Limited Edition "Iron Mistress" Cover Limited Edition "Iron Mistress" Cover
Risks and challenges
We already produce and sell our Mischief & Misadventure Campaign Diaries through our online shop (https://shop.therookandtheraven.com). In order to do that, we had to solve the basic production issues, and we have a pretty clear picture of where our pain points will be as we scale up.
In fact, that's exactly what this kickstarter campaign is all about - upgrading our tools so we can make better quality books much more easily.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)