What is Year 57: Scavengers?
Year 57: Scavengers is a tabletop card game that includes 6 player mats, 6 wooden tokens, a rule book, and over 300 cards featuring over 125 original pieces of artwork! In Year 57: Scavengers, you will take on the role of one of six nation leaders in a wild and dusty post war apocalypse. Your goal is to collect resources, improve your nation, and go on raids, all the while exploring new territory, warring on other nations, trading goods, and establishing your presence in Year 57.
- Born post-apocalypse, his father who was a thief, grifter, cardshark, and all around crummy guy raised The Gamblin' Man alone. That is, until one day when he lost his son in a card game. From that point on, the self proclaimed "Gamblin' Man" used the only skill set he knew to survive, now gambling with many follower's lives.
- When the world ended there were large groups of people who hid out in underground bunkers in preparation. Therefore, there have risen entire societies below ground. Thanks to time and lots of radiation, these below surface dwellers now can't comfortably go out in the sun and so they live in total darkness, traveling through a series of man made tunnels and picking off 'Sun Walkers' as a new source of sustenance.
- There are people who live their lives out in the dry desolate wastelands, and look for meaning in life wherever they can. They tend to find the most meaning in power, violence, and insanity. "The Grand Sister" has proven herself time and again in these qualities and is therefore worshiped as a god. She has finally given The Wasters someone to die for.
- Raised by his grandfather, who was a fisherman before year zero, Admiral Oshun was regaled with wonderful stories of the beauty of the crystal blue ocean spanning off into infinity. Having only ever seen the desolate and void swamp coasts budding up against the ebb and flow of a poisoned planet, he dreams to someday set sail and find salvation across the water.
- A young professor before the world ended, he was world renowned for his amazing intellect and daring nature. This however was his downfall, as he was eventually stripped of all his previous honors and titles for a multitude of inhumane bio-mechanical experiments. He happened to be building an anti-radiation chamber for an upcoming self-funded experiment when the world ended right there and then. He came out to see a world lacking in refinery and decided there was no one better to reclaim the glory of the old world but him.
- It started as just a small family traveling across the wastes. This family became two, which became three, which became a band, which became an army. There is safety in numbers and comfort in being led. Madame Yu uses her divine spiritual powers to look into tomorrow and let The Wanderers know where they are headed. They have yet to find paradise, but she repeatedly assures them it must be just over the next dune.
The flow of the game is built around gaining 'Resources', which are used to purchase 'Recipes'. These Recipes give your peoples new 'Nation Strengths' which can then be used to go on 'Raids'. 'Raids' are worth victory points at the end of the game. In addition to 'Raids', you can also excavate to collect 'Artifacts'. Different sets of these will also be worth victory points at the end of the game. In addition to collecting and purchasing cards, a large aspect of the game is discarding the 'Recipes' you've built, as each one has a unique effect that can be used AT ANY TIME. That's right, in this game you can immediately discard recipes and use effects out of turn, constantly attacking and defending against the other players with effects such as 'Gain a Victory Point', 'Cause Immediate End of Turn', or even 'Swap Hands with Another Player'.
Some high quality card examples:
Some of our favorite art from the game:
Risks and challenges
We are not professional game designers, so we do not have in-house machinery to produce this game ourselves. Our goal is to create something that you can love both as a game and as a piece of art. We have been spending tireless nights speaking to many different factories, companies, and people to try and find the best and most economically efficient way to produce this project and we believe that this Kickstarter is the result of all that work.
Year 57: Scavengers is the first in the "Year 57" series of games. The canon and lore behind Year 57 goes much further than is even shown in the complete game. We hope to make money in this project, so as to begin work on yet another game within this universe.
This is the first project we've brought to the table, but will certainly not be the last. We expect that if the goal is met in a timely manner that we can even guarantee shipping by Christmas!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)