Beer by its very nature is about the community; from the farmers that tend the land and grow the hops and grains; to the maltsters who coax and corral the flavors and sugars out of that grain; to the brewer (me) who brings it all together in a delicious and magical concoction called beer; and finally to you, the loyal drinkers. Without any of you, none of this would be possible. That's what Strong Rope Brewery is about, the community. As a Farm Brewery, we are going to focus on working with those farmers and maltsters to bring together the best ingredients New York state has to offer and make some delicious beers to share with the world.
That's where we need your help. We were lucky enough to purchase a used 2-barrel brewing system and have secured a location in Gowanus, Brooklyn, but we're asking for your donations to help make our taproom that amazing place, where we can share those delicious beers and grow with our community. The donations will go to the following:
- Building the main taproom bar (built with black walnut wood reclaimed from a tree that fell Hurricane Sandy)
- Building side elbow-bars that will be perfect for perching with a beer (also from the Hurricane Sandy black walnut)
- Installing a custom draft system designed to optimally serve our 8 different beers for peak freshness
We will have a rotating selection of 8 American Style ales on draft served to you as fresh as possible. Like J.J. Bollerack's Big Brown Ale, a 6.5% abv Brown Ale, with a deliciously rich malt profile of chocolate, toast and nuttiness balanced with a soft bittering and aromatic dose of Centennial hops. Or Young Lion of the West, a 4.2% Cream Ale, that brings back that classic and simple, but wonderful, light drinking ale that is perfect for when you want a good flavorful session, or one of our awesome seasonal beers that utilizes farm fresh, fruits, herbs and spices to create an amazingly unique beers that reflect the best of the season.
As a small Nano Brewery we will focus on being open to the public for tastings, pints, and growlers to go; social gatherings, as well as special events, tours, and classes, all the while providing you with some of the best beer around.
If we are lucky enough to have the support of the Strong Rope community and surpass our main goal, we will have the following stretch goals.
- $30,000: If we reach this milestone we will install a custom cask system, to further showcase the subtle uniqueness of beer and the New York State ingredients, at their utmost freshness.
- $50,000: If we are able to hit this milestone, I will not only be flabbergasted and eternally grateful, we will also put in a living wall that will help recycle our wastewater and add a great component to our taproom.
Thanks to Josh, Melissa and Michael from Senior Post for producing this wonderful video!
And thanks to my amazing and truly talented friend Peter Bagale for creating the music!
Risks and challenges
The brewery is moving forward and we are committed to turning this dream into a reality. As is with any new business there will be risks and delays. The biggest risk is the challenge of translating our delicious homebrew recipes into larger scale batches, and with potential delays in getting our space up and running with state and federal licensing approval. But we are dedicated and committed to this business, there just may be some delays in opening and getting your rewards...not to worry, it will happen.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (22 days)