Wovyn: Weaving your Internet of Things
Wovyn: Weaving your Internet of Things
Wovyn powers the Internet of Things. Our platform allows objects and places to talk with web applications!
Wovyn powers the Internet of Things. Our platform allows objects and places to talk with web applications! Read more
About this project
Monitor the world around you ... even when you're not around!
The Internet continues to change everything, and combined with our mobile lifestyles things are getting very cool! We're about to make your life and world a whole lot cooler! Welcome to Wovyn! With your help, we're building a new solution that is enabling the "Internet of Things" like nothing else.
First, we'll let you scatter wireless sensors all over your home or business ... or even outdoors. No, not just one or two types of sensors, but we're starting with 13 types now, and have 17 more in design ... and more of them are on the way.
Second, we let you create rules of what you want Wovyn to do when it senses different things. Sure, we can do Email, SMS, Twitter and Facebook, but we also allow you to connect to several of the top Internet data services like Pachube (now Cosm), Sen.se, ThingSpeak, and Kynetx with a few clicks on our portal! Simple!
Third ... and this is where it really gets good ... we provide full support for REST/WebHooks, EventedAPI, and MQTT so that you can point Wovyn and your sensor data at your own software ... or at software that we haven't even thought of yet! (Scott even has some evil genius ideas on where he wants to take this!) We've already been talking with dozens of software developers who are coming up with all sorts of ideas of how they can use all of this sensor data and provide you with new services!
Wait, you haven't heard of the "Internet of Things"?
Well, good thing you came here! Dave found this really awesome video from IBM that does a great job of explaining some of what you can expect to see in the future ... and that is the future we're building at Wovyn. Check it out:
It's not "The Internet of Thing"!
Look - The future isn't about the "Internet of Thing" ... its the "Internet of ThingS"! Plural! Multiple! And we've designed Wovyn to be exactly that. Wovyn is an extensible solution that lets you add numerous sensors - up to 50 of them per gateway - of all different types. And then to create rules of all kinds that can notify you ... or push their data into any software you want that might do even more complex things.
If you want to know if your freezer door is open OR your basement is flooding OR if your front door just opened, that's THREE SEPARATE SENSORS - Wovyn allows you to do all that for under $200! And the best part is that you can just keep adding new sensors to Wovyn!
What are we offering?
For this project, we are offering the rewards listed over to the right to Kickstart your desires to have the world talk back to you. We are offering over a dozen sensors in two groups - you pick your desired sensor(s) from below - and a choice of two gateways through which to connect. The sensors consist of:
Group "A" Wireless Sensors:
- Temperature Sensor ( -20°C to 60°C)
- Water Sensor (presence OR absence)
- Active ID Sensor
- Dry Contact Sensor
- 0-20 mA Current Sensor
- Analog Voltage Sensor
Group "B" Wireless Sensors:
- Temperature Sensor with 3-foot External Probe
- Light Sensor (binary on/off)
- Magnetic Open/Closed Sensor (entry/window)
- Magnetic Presence Sensor
- Activity Sensor
- Button Sensor (immediate notification)
NOTE: In all of the rewards we're offering, the above sensors are the 1" cube size, and include the 2032 coin cell battery.
The next set of sensors in design include: 120 VAC Analog Voltage Detection, 500 VAC/VDC Analog Voltage Measurement, Humidity Sensor (RH), Humidity Sensor (RH) - High Accuracy, Vehicle Presence, Compass, Flex, Lux, Grains Per Pound, Infrared Motion, High Temperature, Low Temperature, Liquid Level, Liquid/Gas/Vapor Pressure (If we can blow out our funding Scott thinks we can get these done by October also!)
Gateway Choices (either supports up to 50 sensors):
- USB Gateway (below) - This tiny device connects to your Windows, Mac or Linux computer, and includes the wireless receiver radio. Just run our Wovyn USB Gateway software and you're up and talking!
- WiFi Gateway (in video) - This stand-alone device (about the size of 2 decks of cards) includes the wireless receiver radio AND WiFi built in. After initial setup, it won't require any other device to operate, and is perfect for production installations.
What services do you talk to?
More like which ones don't we talk to? :)
For the consumer crowd out there, Wovyn sensors will speak to you via:
- Email to SMS Text
and others to come.
For the Hacker community, go crazy! Point Wovyn at these initial hosted platforms:
- Pachube (now Cosm) - see our public demo page here
- Sen.se - see our public demo page here
Or write your own code, and have it talk to your software using:
These are all configured using our cloud-based portal called the Loom. (Rob has been going crazy to get the Loom working, trying to understand Scott's constantly evolving design, and making Dave's requested feature changes!)
A note about our sensors and plan:
These aren't ideas we dreamt up last night, or have scribbled on a white board somewhere. These are REAL, LIVE, WORKING sensors, and our gateways are operating now connected to many of the platforms you see listed above. We have already secured quotes and agreements with the U.S. contract manufacturers we intend to use to deliver all Kickstarters your chosen pledge level rewards.
We also have our board designs complete, and have already been through several initial board revisions. Once funded we'll submit our boards to production, and it's estimated that worst case the production runs will take 12 weeks to build and deliver to us. So this project is to launch into our first volume production run ... and that is where we need your support!
Bottom Line: Since we like to hack on cool stuff, there's one thing we know about the Creative, DIY and Hacker communities ... we don't like waiting around for stuff! We've done everything we could do in advance until this 'stuff' was ready to go before launching. Our target is to finish the gateways and Loom work by July, and provided we don't run into supply chain issues, we'd love to be one of the Kickstarter projects that delivers early!! Therefore, we are being conservative in our delivery estimates of October 2012.
We hope you appreciate the effort, 'cause we sure appreciate the support!
Talk to Us - Tell us what you think
We believe in the interactive nature of the Kickstarter community, and will do the best we can to keep up with your comments and questions.
Thanks for your time, your attention, and of course your support - Kickstarters PWN!
This is actually a popular question, and we'll do our best to answer it with some specific points:
1. Wovyn is a next generation operating system for the Internet of Things. We are not just selling sensors ... our Loom software is an extensible platform designed to connect almost any sensor or control system, to any cloud service or software application. What you see today is a small example of the sensors we can support, and just the beginning of the services and protocols that we'll support.
2. Our sensors are not integrated into the core gateway (Loom) but instead can be spread all over the place, and communicate back using a 900/868/433Mhz radio. And that is just the first sensor topology that we are going to support.
3. Our sensors are available in two different indoor form factors, plus fully outdoor enclosures.
4. We have a broader range of fully wireless sensors, and more coming.
5. We have two kinds of gateways (Looms): Our USB works with PC/Mac/Linux, and the Wi-Fi is standalone.
6. We do NOT force all communications to go out to our cloud service. Our Loom Configuration Portal is simply for configuration. Once configured, the Loom communicates directly to the configured end-points.
No. We are not charging any additional fees for use of the Loom Configuration Portal and Cloud Service. This service is used to configure your Looms, to store the configuration, and generate notifications to you when critical events occur.
No. This is core to our architecture, and how we see the Internet of Things actually scaling! Once a Loom/gateway is configured, it communicates directly with the configured end-points. We do not believe that the Internet of things is going to scale if all communications are required to flow through a single cloud service.
Support this project
- (45 days)