We have already donated over 200 clean drinking water containers in the rural villages of Myanmar and Nicaragua. Now we need to place a bulk order for the purchase of the stainless steel drinking water bottles so that we can start making sales.
BOGO is an acronym for buy-one-give one. For every water bottle that we sell, one clean drinking water container will be donated.
The minimum bulk order is 1,000 bottles. We would like to place two orders: 1,000 green 16 ounce bottle and 1,000 blue 20 ounce bottles for a total initial purchase of 2,000 bottles. The bottles are high quality, double walled, insulated, and made from food grade stainless steel. The exterior has a durable powder coating with laser etched logo and strong loop lid.
In order to meet our kickstart funding goal, we essentially need to pre-sale approximately 1,000 bottles. Campaign money raised on the pre-sale of these bottles will pay for:
- 2,000 bottle bulk order
- Shipping of the pre-sale bottles
- 2,000 donated clean drinking containers
- Marketing funds
Once all 2,000 bottles are sold, profits will be enough to purchase another 2,000 bottles and continue the donation of clean containers on a one for one basis. Operations will be bare bones at first with no additional employees or staff.
Initially, bottles will be sold online and at local retailers such as outdoor gear stores and small groceries. The long term goal is to have BOGO bottles on the shelves of larger retailers, such as Whole Foods and REI. We want to be a major competitor to HydroFlask and Klean Kanteen, yet BOGO will have the added focus of donating clean drinking water containers on a one for one basis.
BOGO will continue to collaborate with the local non-profit organization Village Aid Project to help distribute the donated drinking water containers and to help provide education on safe water storage. The Village Aid Project, formerly an Engineers without Borders group, is a non-profit organization at Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado. This group has over 15 years experience constructing clean drinking water systems in countries such as Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Ecuador, and Nicaragua. Bogo will also look to collaborate with additional non-profits constructing drinking water systems.
To meet our kickstarter funding request of $29,000, we essentially need to pre-sell about 1,000 water bottles. Pre-order your bottle today by funding our campaign. For every bottle purchased, even through pre-sales on kickstarter, a clean container will be donated on a one for one basis.
Risks and challenges
We foresee major challenges including:
Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
1. Management of online sales and shipping. At first we will be conducting business out of our home and we are expecting a garage full of water bottles!
2. Collaboration with non-profits to help with the clean water container donation side of the business. We want to partner with reputable non-profits that are building clean drinking water systems in remote, poverty stricken locations. These partners need to be willing to provide education to the community along with the distribution of the containers. They also need to have accountability and tracking of every jug donated. As bogo grows larger, we will need to provide personal oversight to ensure that we are truly donating water containers on a one for one basis, as promised.
3. Quality assurance of both the stainless steel bottles and the plastic donated jugs. It is of paramount importance that the stainless steel bottles are high quality, NSF certified or food grade materials, and durable. Additionally, the donated jugs must also be durable and sized appropriately for the setting so that they are used daily.