Porcelain cups + mugs, slipcast from the iconic form of the classic, Italian espresso percolator.
- Perc, a set of cafe mugs + espresso cups is a project inspired by coffee. Specifically my love of the classic, Italian espresso percolator, the ritual surrounding the beverage AND my work around re-purposing iconic imagery into new forms and objects. By casting the original form of the percolator, designing comfortable handles, and creating porcelain cups and mugs from the form, I intend to bring a sense of nostalgia and whimsy to the coffee (or tea!) drinking experience.
- Begun almost 3 years ago, this project has continually grown and developed. I've worked through several iterations of the cups, exploring different handle variations, glaze finishes, sizes and materials. I have sold a number of the cups I've made and was recently honored to be included in the biannual exhibition, Our Cups Runneth Over, at the Society of Arts & Crafts in Boston, featuring 30 ceramic artists from around the country. This experience inspired me to push further with this project in the hopes of outsourcing production (domestically) and offering the cups for sale at design and home boutiques.
- I've teamed up with an American ceramics manufacturer based in Portland, OR. Mudshark Studios is a small group of experienced artisans producing hand crafted porcelain and ceramic-ware.
- I'm utilizing the Kickstarter fundraising platform so that you, the consumer, by pledging to purchase one or several Perc cups + mugs, will help fund initial set-up and production costs AND receive a finished product!
- I'm excited about producing these cups and am hoping that this project's success will be just the beginning of what will become a working studio, producing a variety of handcrafted objects for the home.
- At the basic funding levels you will receive one or several cafe mugs or espresso cups, slip cast from porcelain and finished in a white glaze. I'm offering a few special, limited edition items to celebrate this project launch! Along with the artists at Mudhshark, I've developed a gunmetal glaze, transforming the look and feel of the finished porcelain cups to relate to the aluminum of the original percolator. I've also designed a graphic postcard (which EVERYONE will receive if funded) and an info-graphic poster representing the process of slipcasting. The poster will be handmade and of a single edition, silk screened on archival paper in a few color variations.
- If successfully funded, we're expecting to begin shipping cups in September. I will provide updated information throughout the process!
Yes - In fact, the large cafe mugs will retail for ~$36 a piece and the espresso cups for ~$60 a pair. You're buying these pieces at below retail cost - with limited edition options and from the first production edition! I'm excited to be offeriing hand-crafted, American made objects with respect for our craftspeople. I definitely believe in it.
As of January, 2012 many, if not most of orders have been and are being shipped!
There is a new batch of product in the works and should be ready to ship out in February to complete everyone's order.
The posters will be screen printed on 18" x 24" archival paper in 4 colors. The sample here is in shades of gray - - which I like - - but will be doing a few slightly different options.
Great! Contact me directly please.