Knight AmDoc Patron Fund
Support for bold nonfiction mediamakers in Knight Foundation communities.
About Knight AmDoc Patron Fund
A national media arts nonprofit organization, American Documentary (AmDoc) supports bold documentaries and documentarians for the public good. Best known for its 30-year-old documentary series 'POV' on PBS and 'America ReFramed,' now in its sixth season on WORLD Channel, AmDoc is a catalyst for public culture and engagement. Through engagement activities around socially relevant content, stories from AmDoc and its various programs online, on broadcast or in-person are designed to trigger action, from dialogue and feedback to educational opportunities and community participation.
To commemorate 30 years of elevating the boldest nonfiction stories, AmDoc is launching the Knight AmDoc Patron Fund on Kickstarter. In an effort to expand our support of new and innovative projects in documentary and nonfiction visual storytelling, AmDoc will work with Kickstarter to leverage the support of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation by funding projects in the 26 communities where Knight invests.
The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation is a national foundation with strong local roots. We invest in journalism, in the arts, and in the success of cities where brothers John S. and James L. Knight once published newspapers. Our goal is to foster informed and engaged communities, which we believe are essential for a healthy democracy. For more, visit knightfoundation.org.
What we look for in a project
- Documentary film or nonfiction film and transmedia projects utilizing traditional and emerging digital media.
- Projects and artists exploring interactivity and play with the nonlinear nature of the web.
- Projects that present the artistry, bold content, timely topics and intimate point of view that are a hallmark of an AmDoc film.
- Projects in any phase of development will also be considered (Pre-production, post production or distribution).
- Special priority will be given to projects with a demonstrated commitment to diversity across the entire production team including on both sides of the camera.
- Projects should be based in Knight communities and creator teams representative of community: Aberdeen, South Dakota; Akron, Ohio; Biloxi, Mississippi; Boulder, Colorado; Bradenton, Florida; Charlotte, North Carolina; Columbia, South Carolina; Columbus, Georgia; Detroit; Duluth, Minnesota; Fort Wayne, Indiana; Gary, Indiana; Grand Forks, North Dakota; Lexington, Kentucky; Long Beach, California; Macon, Georgia; Miami; Milledgeville, Georgia. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; Palm Beach County, Florida; Philadelphia; San Jose, California; St. Paul, Minnesota; State College, Pennsylvania; Tallahassee, Florida; Wichita, Kansas.
How to apply
- The good news is that there is no additional paperwork or application process for Knight AmDoc Patron funding. AmDoc is working hand-in-hand with Kickstarter to review active projects on their platform that meet our funding criteria. If you do not currently have an active project on Kickstarter and would like to be considered for the Knight AmDoc Patron Fund, you can start a Kickstarter campaign here. Note that projects must be located in a city where Knight invests (see below).
- Identify the project location as one of the 26 Knight communities: Aberdeen, South Dakota; Akron, Ohio; Biloxi, Mississippi; Boulder, Colorado; Bradenton, Florida; Charlotte, North Carolina; Columbia, South Carolina; Columbus, Georgia; Detroit; Duluth, Minnesota; Fort Wayne, Indiana; Gary, Indiana; Grand Forks, North Dakota; Lexington, Kentucky; Long Beach, California; Macon, Georgia; Miami, Florida; Milledgeville, Georgia; Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; Palm Beach County, Florida; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; San Jose, California; St. Paul, Minnesota; State College, Pennsylvania; Tallahassee, Florida; Wichita, Kansas.
Additional creator support
- In addition to a pledge of direct financial support, AmDoc will help support your campaign by providing additional outreach across AmDoc’s web and media channels reaching more than 100,000 followers.
- After a project successfully completes their campaign, AmDoc will follow-up with creators of selected projects to offer additional outreach support, and the opportunity to gain feedback and mentorship from AmDoc staff.