Senior Security Engineer
Kickstarter’s Engineering team develops our platform that helps bring creative projects to life. As part of that mission, we must ensure that our platform and our company are resilient and responsive to emerging threats and malicious actors. Kickstarter is hiring a Staff Security Engineer who can develop tools and protocols to ensure that our users, systems, and employees are safeguarded. Working collaboratively and cross-functionally embedded in our engineering team, this role will create a framework for our digital operations and application security practices.
In This Role, You Will:
- Create guidelines and frameworks for defensive coding practices.
- Provide a framework and guidance for evaluating third-party vendors for security risks.
- Refine process and continuously audit employee access to resources, including user PII and other sensitive data.
- Provide teams with tools, processes, and training for responding to threats to Kickstarter’s platform, employees, and community members. Identify attack vectors and anomalous behavior on Kickstarter and provide guidance on remediation.
- Manage our bug bounty program and provide avenues for responsible disclosures.
- Monitor global cybersecurity threats and trends, and enact safeguards.
- Escalate remediation to appropriate teams to ensure that their code and processes are resilient to attack.
- Build tools such as security code scanners to ensure enforcement of best security practices.
- You have 5+ years professional experience as a software engineer.
- You have proficiency implementing security tools, protocols, and policies within an AWS deployment.
- You’ve overseen a bug bounty program, a pen test, and/or the rollout of GDPR, PCI-DSS, or SOC2 programs.
- You have strong opinions informed by experience on subjects like incident response, vendor security assessments, distributed systems, web application and browser security, authentication and access control, and are willing to experiment to refine those opinions and offer constructive feedback.
- You are a creative problem solver who understands and can articulate the review process involved in technical approaches, and can demonstrate pragmatism and resourcefulness when confronted with constraints.
- You’re a strong collaborator and have experience working with multidisciplinary teams (product management, backend, frontend and native app engineering, trust & safety).
- You empathize with creators and backers and recognize the challenges of the creative process and bringing projects to life. Kickstarter is an equal opportunity employer.
As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.
This position is full-time and on-site at our beautiful office in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. All full-time employees are eligible for our terrific benefits program, which includes stock options, full health/dental/vision coverage, 401k contribution, generous vacation and family leave, and a wide variety of social and cultural events.
Kickstarter is a Public Benefit Corporation, and our mission is to help bring creative projects to life. We measure our success as a company by how well we achieve that mission, not by the size of our profits. In our charter, we spell out our mission, our values, and the commitments we have made to pursue them.