Kickstarter is seeking a Senior Counsel to advise on key product initiatives and business expansion, own commercial and contractual transactions, and contribute expertise on matters of data privacy.
About the Team
Kickstarter is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC), and our mission is to help bring creative projects to life. We measure our success as a company by how well we achieve that mission, not by the size of our profits. In our charter, we spell out our mission, our values, and the commitments we have made to pursue them.
You’ll be the second member of our in-house Legal team, joining and reporting to our General Counsel. Providing strategic legal advice across the entire company, you’ll balance legal needs with company values and objectives. Our team applies artist- and creator-friendly perspectives to our assessment of risk, implementing creative governance structures that support the company’s PBC charter. As Kickstarter’s approach is unique, so is this role.
In This Role, You Will:
- Be the primary owner of all commercial and contractual matters. You’ll draft, negotiate, and execute a wide variety of agreements and manage Kickstarter’s portfolio of vendor and partner relationships.
- Advise Product teams at every stage of development, from ideation to launch. You’ll be deeply ingrained in development cycles, demonstrating a broad range of subject-matter expertise and advising on regulatory implications, litigation risks, data privacy and financial laws, and more.
- Act as Kickstarter’s Data Protection Officer (as required under GDPR). You’ll keep dutiful watch over how Kickstarter protects user data.
- You are an attorney with a JD and admission to a US state bar in good standing.
- You have relevant and substantive senior-level experience, either in-house or at a firm.
- When it comes to advising on product development, you consider yourself to be a generalist. You’re capable of anticipating and advising on a wide variety of issues and can effectively partner with cross-functional teams on complex projects.
- You’re comfortable working independently but know when to escalate an issue and/or when to solicit advice from outside counsel.
- You are skilled in data privacy, tax, payments, and finance law.
- You are passionate about making work more efficient for your collaborators.
- You’re resourceful, capable of confidently implementing and owning a contract management system.
- You are an expert communicator, verbally and in writing, who is capable of explaining legal jargon to the layperson.
- You are highly organized and able to meet deadlines while juggling many projects at any given time.
- You’re skilled at problem solving and you take a pragmatic, business-minded approach to legal analyses and risk assessments.
- Bonus Points If: You have a CIPP certification and/or a strong working knowledge of data privacy law.
Kickstarter is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.
Kickstarter is a Public Benefit Corporation, and our mission is to help bring creative projects to life. We measure our success as a company by how well we achieve that mission, not by the size of our profits. In our charter, we spell out our mission, our values, and the commitments we have made to pursue them.