We’re seeking a top-notch product designer to work on beautiful and functional tools to help our community create, discover, explore, back, and share creative projects. You’ll collaborate with teams across Kickstarter to solve new problems, ensure a consistent user experience, and push the needle forward for creativity so Kickstarter is always engaging and inspiring.
As a product designer at Kickstarter, you’ll have the opportunity to positively impact the lives of creators, backers, and the creative community at large. Day to day, you’ll design innovative and intuitive product solutions all across the site; you’ll partner with other designers, PMs, and engineers to design features and explore new ideas; and you’ll work cross-functionally on a dedicated feature team to identify and tackle challenges and opportunities within your team’s domain. From improving how creators run their projects to building internal tools that help us work better together, you’ll take on a variety of projects, all while learning new skills and practicing design thinking in your problem solving.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate closely with product and engineering on feature development
- Wireframe, design, and prototype new features from idea to implementation
- Present, critique, and defend your design work and the work of your teammates
- Help shape your team’s roadmap through research, observation, and iteration
- Turn challenging userflows into simple, usable, and elegant experiences
- Help shape and evolve the design team’s culture
- Contribute to and help maintain a component based design system
- Have 3+ years of cross-platform product design experience
- Have a design portfolio that demonstrates a strong command of visual design, intuitive user experience, and strategic problem solving
- Use data and user research to support your design decisions
- Communicate design decisions openly and confidently, regardless of the audience—engineers, PMs, executives, other designers, et al
- Are unafraid to change your opinion in the face of new information or understanding of the product goals—you have strong beliefs, but you’re open-minded
- Want to seek out and develop a design process that encourages collaboration between other designers and product teams
- You are a creative thinker capable of translating vision and big ideas into meaningful, shippable product
- Always value diversity and inclusion in your design process
You code your own work. Many of us are incredibly multi-disciplinary—a lot of our designers deploy product code, manage our CSS library, and prototype in feature branches of the Kickstarter repository. For the designer who likes to code, you’ll feel right at home.
You’re a creator. We love to work with fellow creators who are excited about having a visible impact on our diverse creative community. Not only does being a creator help you empathize with our users, it also makes for interesting conversation with the many writers, musicians, painters, and artists who work here.
You’ve designed for i18n and a11y. Kickstarter is a diverse, inclusive, international company that serves an ever growing community of backers and creators. Having experience designing for a product that values internationalization, localization, and accessibility is a plus.
This position is full-time and on-site at our beautiful office in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. All full-time employees are eligible for our terrific benefits program, which includes stock options, full health/dental/vision coverage, 401k contribution, generous vacation and family leave, and a wide variety of social and cultural events.
Kickstarter is a Public Benefit Corporation, and our mission is to help bring creative projects to life. We measure our success as a company by how well we achieve that mission, not by the size of our profits. In our charter, we spell out our mission, our values, and the commitments we have made to pursue them.