Head of Design & Technology (Outreach)
Over the past nine years, tens of thousands of product designers, engineers and makers have come to Kickstarter to share their ideas with the world. We’ve helped creators launch new industries, reinvent manufacturing, and bring innovative products to life. To date, over 18 thousand design and technology projects have found success on Kickstarter — raising close to $1.5 billion.
Kickstarter is seeking a Head of the Design & Technology Outreach Team. Providing the necessary leadership, management, and tools for our largest outreach team, you will ensure that we continue to nurture relationships and build community with designers, makers, and engineers who are doing the most compelling and innovative work in their fields.
About the Team
The Outreach & International team works to ensure the health and vibrancy of our communities, and to humanize the connections between Kickstarter and the world. We are a team of Category and Regional Leads working to foster awareness of and trust for Kickstarter in specific creative communities and locations.
About the Role
Your core responsibility will be leading the team charged with finding and recruiting creators working on unique, innovative and influential design and technology projects, as well as nurturing strong ties to our existing community of creators. You must have deep knowledge of, and passion for, the world of making and design coupled with a knack for connecting with creative people far and wide.
The Design & Technology Outreach team is geographically dispersed, and highly independent. Your work will be the necessary engine that drives cohesion, clears obstacles, and creates a framework that empowers team members to achieve the metrics tailored to their region and contribute to a shared system of accountability and company-wide goals.
In This Role, You Will:
- Lead yearly and quarterly planning efforts using a framework that empowers outreach leads to develop a coherent set of regional plans.
- Manage processes that bring together cross-functional teams to support our work nurturing relationships, and acquiring and guiding creators.
- Develop and track budget for the category, and empower team members to effectively invest budget in support of the communities and geographic regions they cover.
- Support outreach leads in their efforts to acquire high profile creators and establish collaborations with influential organizations.
- Track the health of the design and technology categories on Kickstarter, monitor external trends affecting these communities, and synthesize and share insights.
- Collaborate with internal teams on a variety of projects, from channeling the team’s insights into input for product and policy updates to executing large public events.
- Speak compellingly on behalf of Kickstarter at events, both large and small, delivering keynotes, moderating panels, and leading workshops.
- Provide mentorship, guidance and professional development opportunities to help outreach leads hone their skills and grow professionally.
- Ensure we are active and relevant participants in conversations and events focused on emerging technologies, design, and innovation.
- Represent Kickstarter’s PBC values out in the world, and demonstrate our commitment to support independent creativity and diversity.
- Find opportunities to share the team’s work and to channel the voice of design and technology creators within the larger organization.
- You are genuinely passionate about the creative work and culture at the intersection of design and technology.
- You have a deep knowledge of the hardware startup ecosystem and an understanding of how Kickstarter has become an integral part of it.
- You have substantial experience working in hardware, design, or maker communities. Bonus points if you've worked in operations, communications, outreach, and/or community building.
- You are familiar with, or are comfortable learning, the tools of the trade for CRM (Streak), Database (Looker), and Project Management (Trello).
- Your approach to managing and allocating resources is mindful and data-driven.
- You have a mind for systems and are impeccably organized.
- You are a skilled communicator and an active listener. You pride yourself on your ability to smooth friction, clear paths, and channel insights.
- You have excellent written communication skills. You can set and manage expectations while working with multiple stakeholders, collaborating in and outside of the company.
- You understand how Kickstarter has become a part of the design and technology ecosystem and value the opportunity Kickstarter represents for independent creators.
- You have a thorough understanding of how Kickstarter works, and what it takes to craft and run high-quality, successful campaigns.
- You know how to manage an independent team of remote employees, and know how to keep them motivated and engaged.
Kickstarter is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.
This position is full-time and on-site at our beautiful office in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. All full-time employees are eligible for our terrific benefits program, which includes stock options, full health/dental/vision coverage, 401k contribution, generous vacation and family leave, and a wide variety of social and cultural events.
Kickstarter is a Public Benefit Corporation, and our mission is to help bring creative projects to life. We measure our success as a company by how well we achieve that mission, not by the size of our profits. In our charter, we spell out our mission, our values, and the commitments we have made to pursue them.