Director of People Operations
About the Team
Kickstarter’s People Team is organized into four areas: People Operations, Talent Acquisition, Talent Management, and Workplace. We work together to recruit, develop, and retain a group of people who, together, perform at a high-level to bring our mission to life. Outside (and sometimes inside) the office, members of our team sing opera, DJ, sculpt, and perform improv comedy.
About the Role
As Kickstarter’s Director of People Operations, you will own our people infrastructure and work to ensure that we are able to support, develop and retain our talented team. You’ll leverage your knowledge of benefits, payroll, compensation, employee relations, policies, HRIS, & more to develop innovative and forward-thinking systems in support of our employees and company goals.
As a leader within the People Team, you’ll be responsible for defining and communicating policies & procedures in a thoughtful and concise way to help shape our work culture. You’ll oversee employee relations and be responsible for making sure the right systems are in place to help our team respond to any difficult or sensitive situations. You will rely on your ability to communicate in an effective and accessible way as you coach, listen, and educate.
You will play a key role in helping to shape and iterate on our compensation frameworks. We are looking for someone who takes a data-driven, objective and consistent approach to recognizing employees for their contributions. We are looking to explore new and exciting ways of measuring impact and how that informs our total rewards.
You will help our VP of People and Leadership Team research and explore the future of working at Kickstarter. Everything from supporting distributed teams, to unlocking talent in new markets, to how we shape and develop our Workplace.
In This Role, You Will:
- Design a holistic total rewards system that is well-researched & valuable to our current and prospective employees. This includes everything from salary compensation to equity, benefits & perks.
- Audit and administer our 401K & Retirement Plans.
- Lead the design & roll out various training programs (legally required and elective).
- Manage direct reports, helping to mentor and educate your People Operations team.
- Assure your team can self-drive compliance and data reports on tight deadlines.
- Manage and build vendor relationships. You will research the right tools, advocate for company needs, and sync systems to work better together (ADP, Sequoia, etc).
- Work closely with Legal and Finance teams, building trust and ensuring we are operating efficiently as a company.
- Work collaboratively with People and Legal leadership to address company concerns and guide any company investigations. You will be the owner of tools like Spot (anonymous reporting), ensuring that our employees have the channels they need to record and report any instances of discrimination or harassment in the workplace.
- Improve and build out Kickstarter’s investigation policies, process, and practices to ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
- Own the development of our company handbook, shaping and communicating policy effectively and accessibly.
- Act as an auditor and controller of company payroll in partnership with our Finance Team.
- You have worked with an international, dispersed team. You’re equipped with the knowledge to help us explore the operations and logistical needs of supporting more People as Kickstarter expands into new territories.
- You understand the benefits marketplace & competitive offerings. You have experience adapting to YoY change in this space.
- You approach your work proactively. You are solutions-oriented and self-driven.
- You take a ‘coaching’ approach to employee relations, listening and educating with empathy.
- You have managed internal comms around your work, keeping a keen eye on reinforcing company culture and needing minimal oversight from leadership.
- You are excited about the bigger picture of how People Operations systems meaningfully impact Talent Acquisition, Talent Management, and Workplace.
- Bonus Points if You: Have knowledge of PEOs, have worked with stock options as a meaningful addition to a company’s total rewards, and/or have experience in People Analytics.
- Bonus Points if You: have experience supporting either a remote-first or heavily distributed workforce.
Kickstarter is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.
This position is full-time and on-site at our beautiful office in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. All full-time employees are eligible for our terrific benefits program, which includes stock options, full health/dental/vision coverage, 401k contribution, generous vacation and family leave, and a wide variety of social and cultural events.
Kickstarter is a Public Benefit Corporation, and our mission is to help bring creative projects to life. We measure our success as a company by how well we achieve that mission, not by the size of our profits. In our charter, we spell out our mission, our values, and the commitments we have made to pursue them.
- Senior Software Engineer, System Integrity
- Creative Project Coordinator
- Director of People Operations
- Mobile Product Designer
- Product Analyst, Insights
- Senior Data Scientist
- Experimentation Manager, Insights
- Software Engineer, Payments
- Trust & Safety Analyst, Risk
- Head of Design & Technology (Outreach)
- Front End Engineer, Project Storytelling
- Android Engineer