Director of Arts
From Creative Time’s Doomocracy to the Royal Academy’s Ai Weiwei exhibition to Ugo Rondinone’s Seven Magic Mountains in the Nevada desert, Kickstarter has been home to works by some of the most inspired creative projects around the globe. We are seeking a Director of Arts who will research, identify and qualify new creators, develop meaningful connections, and drive conversations with artists and cultural institutions to help them consider Kickstarter as a helpful tool they can use to share their creative ideas with the world. The position falls under our Community Outreach team, whose mission is to build, sustain and deepen our relationships with creative communities around the globe.
Our ideal candidate must have experience working directly with artists and cultural institutions, preferably in a business development position, and bring a strategic and imaginative viewpoint to the work of supporting and sharing creative projects with the world. We’re looking for someone who’s passionate about the arts, and is eager to help more of it exist in the world. You’ll be working to ensure that Kickstarter is brimming with arts projects, so your knowledge of the contemporary arts communities, your communication skills, and your enthusiasm for working with diverse groups of all sorts must be exceptional.
In this role, you will:
- Develop, lead, and execute Kickstarter’s strategic vision for project acquisition efforts in the Arts communities, including artists, museums and institutions, and cultural organizations.
- Be responsible for creating visibility and transparency in our pipeline and project acquisition process.
- Define and actively monitor core metrics for growth across the Art, Dance, Photography, and Theater categories.
- Work closely with project creators to shape the story of their campaigns, and identify audiences most excited to engage with them.
- Create opportunities for partnerships and strategic alignments at both domestic and international levels.
- Reinforce Kickstarter’s voice and brand within the arts community, and serve as a voice of the arts community at Kickstarter.
- Be a public representative for Kickstarter within the arts world — as a speaker, author, panelist, etc.
- Manage 2 members of Kickstarter’s Arts Outreach team.
- You have 5–7 years of experience supporting artists in the contemporary visual and/or performing arts communities.
- You have proven experience in business development and lead generation strategies, community building, partnerships, or building long-term sustainability for an organization.
- You are an experienced manager and thoughtful leader.
- You are embedded and respected in the arts community, and have deep ties and longstanding relationships with people in all corners of the industry.
- You have a genuine passion for the opportunity Kickstarter represents for artists and institutions, whether emerging or established.
- You have stellar writing skills and experience editing complex content to make it meaningful for diverse audiences.
- You are impeccably organized and capable of working on many projects at once without losing focus on the bigger picture.
- You are a self-starter, entrepreneurial, creative, energetic person with an eye for what will inspire people to support the arts.
- Bonus: You have been part of a team that has launched something new into the world and helped build it from the ground up.
This position is full-time and on-site at our beautiful office in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. All full-time employees are eligible for our terrific benefits program, which includes stock options, full health/dental/vision coverage, 401k contribution, generous vacation and family leave, and a wide variety of social and cultural events.
Kickstarter is a Public Benefit Corporation, and our mission is to help bring creative projects to life. We measure our success as a company by how well we achieve that mission, not by the size of our profits. In our charter, we spell out our mission, our values, and the commitments we have made to pursue them.