Zombies, Run! How Adrian Hon Turned a Daily Jog into a Zombie-Filled Adventure
Share this post
How do you get into running if you find it, well, boring? If you’re Adrian Hon, you turn it into a mobile game — with zombies.
In 2011, the CEO and founder of the independent games developer Six to Start partnered with writer Naomi Alderman to create Zombies, Run!, an audio-based game that transforms your run into an adrenaline-fueled adventure during the zombie apocalypse.
“Kickstarter seemed like an obvious idea for Zombies, Run! as a way to find out whether people even cared about [our] idea and whether they were willing to put money behind it,” Hon says.
As it turns out, people were downright ravenous for the game. Nearly 3,500 backers supported the project — and soon, fans were asking when the second season would be released. In addition to recording over 3,000 minutes of audio, the team released a Zombies, Run! book, hosted virtual races, and even funded a Zombies, Run! board game on Kickstarter in 2016 with the help of over 2,000 backers.
“Zombies, Run! came from me wanting to scratch an itch,” Hon says. “I knew that if no one else cared about it, at least I would have bought Zombies, Run! [for myself] when it came out. I think that’s where the best ideas come from.”
Learn more about the Zombies, Run! journey in the video above.
Ready to launch your own Kickstarter project? Get started here.
- How Kickstarter Creators Are Coping with the Coronavirus
- Kickstarter y el Festival Internacional de Cine de Guanajuato presentan 12 proyectos cinematográficos dirigidos por estudiantes universitarios en México
- Kickstarter and Guanajuato International Film Festival to Feature 12 Student-Led Film Projects in Mexico
- How to Participate in Signs of Change, Kickstarter’s Upcoming Open Call
- Mexican Game Designer Héctor Pérez Funded Four Games on Kickstarter—Here Are His Tips for International Campaigns