What $4 Billion Pledged to Creative Projects Looks Like
Share this post
Last week, the Kickstarter campaign for Street Masters: Aftershock received a pledge of $209. For the creator, the independent game studio Blacklist Games, that represented another step toward bringing their board game expansion to life. For Kickstarter as a whole, it represented a thrilling milestone: $4 billion pledged to creative ideas on our platform.
Over 154,000 projects have been funded on Kickstarter with the support of over 15 million backers, more than 5 million of whom have supported more than one project. That’s 15 million people who have helped over 123,000 creators make hip-hop anthologies, DIY microscopes, animated documentaries, intersectional feminist zines, kinetic artworks, card games featuring combustible cats, and so much more.
But $4 billion is such a massive, abstract figure. What is $4 billion, really?
- It’s more than the GDP of Fiji, and just a little less than that of the Isle of Man
- It’s equivalent to the value of roughly 3,000 shredded Banksy paintings
- Or the cost of building 100 Eiffel Towers (in today’s dollars)
- It’s 138 million vials of water from the Amazon River, bottled by creator Hans Fex
- Or 114 million copies of Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls—one for every person in the Philippines and Sweden combined
- Or 133 million OK Tarot decks signed by creator Adam J. Kurtz—enough to turn every person in Mexico into a seasoned cartomancer
That $4 billion has enabled thousands of projects from independent creators working in every conceivable discipline. It means a history-making public art campaign can spark civic engagement across the U.S. It means a team of unknown filmmakers in France can share their passion project with the world. It means a historic concert series can continue to elevate independent musicians. It means that over 123,000 people have been able to bring new, exciting, ambitious work into the world with the help of their communities.
And it’s why we want to take a moment to thank all of the creators and backers who have brought us to this milestone. Kickstarter exists for you, and we are honored to be a part of your process. We can’t wait to see what you’ll accomplish next.
- Kickstarter y el Festival Internacional de Cine de Guanajuato presentan 12 proyectos cinematográficos dirigidos por estudiantes universitarios en México
- Kickstarter and Guanajuato International Film Festival to Feature 12 Student-Led Film Projects in Mexico
- How to Participate in Signs of Change, Kickstarter’s Upcoming Open Call
- Mexican Game Designer Héctor Pérez Funded Four Games on Kickstarter—Here Are His Tips for International Campaigns
- El diseñador de juegos mexicano, Héctor Pérez, financió cuatro proyectos en Kickstarter. Estos son sus consejos para llevar a cabo campañas internacionales