The New Project Page
Share this post
The project page is the heart and soul of Kickstarter. It's where creators share their project ideas and backers go to see what they have in mind. In the last 30 days, close to 60% of the pageviews on Kickstarter have been to project pages. Project pages are a big deal.
When we were designing the first versions of Kickstarter, the project page was where we started. We endlessly debated how big the stats should be, how prominent the pitch video should be, what elements deserved to be higher on the page, how many columns the page should have, how comments, backers, and updates should relate to the project page, and much more. It was a long, long process.
In the last three years we've made some incremental changes (here's the original project page, and here's the project page we just replaced). But recently we decided to step back and challenge many of our original assumptions.
For months, we tried new ways of thinking about the page, but there were always trade-offs that we didn't like. Time and again we came back to the same structure we've always had. And while it might've been fun to unveil something completely new and radical, we gained confidence that we got a lot of things right the first time around.
Today we're excited to launch a refreshed project page. The change went live across Kickstarter this morning. You can see a snapshot of it here:
So what has changed?
- Creator information is easier to find. Creator details are now prominently displayed closer to the top of the page.
- Location and category are easier to find. Now isolated on the top right so they compete less with other info.
- Short description of project added. The short description has always been on project widgets, the homepage, and other pages but never on the project page itself. It's the quickest way to get a sense of what the project's about in the creator's own words.
- Launch date and funding end date added. Next to the short description are the launch date and the date when funding will end.
- Larger video. We made the entire left column larger, so now videos are bigger!
- Design tweaks. We centered the title and creator name (more of a cinematic feel), made it more obvious when a project is successfully funded, adjusted fonts and spacing, and made lots of other touch-ups to make the page more cohesive.
To see the new design, just go to any project page. We hope you like the update!