Support Creative Work for Its Own Sake. Back It Because You Believe in It.
Share this post
This Black Friday and beyond, back a project for no reward, just because it speaks to you.
Today is Black Friday in the United States, and next week, online stores around the world will be flooded with shoppers for Cyber Monday. Here at Kickstarter, we’re marking the start of the holiday season with a campaign of our own, encouraging our community to support a creator’s project and process. This holiday season, you’re invited to back it because you believe in it.
There are a million and one reasons to back a project on Kickstarter, and getting a great reward is only one of them. Sometimes you just want to show a creator you believe in their work, without getting something in return. Last year alone, over 200,000 people backed projects on Kickstarter for no reward, pledging over $15 million to help creators bring their projects to life. That’s what we want to celebrate this season.
Going “rewardless” is rewarding
If you haven’t pledged to a project for no reward before, here are a few reasons why you might want to start:
- Be a champion of culture. When you support a project on Kickstarter, you’re helping bold, inventive new work get made—work that may have an impact on culture for years to come. (Fleabag, anyone?)
- Send out good vibes. Your support will make a creator’s day, without increasing their shipping budget.
- Watch the creative process unfold. Creators use project updates to share a behind-the-scenes look at the process of bringing their project to life—and to celebrate with backers when their work is out in the world. When you back a project, you’re signed up to receive these updates via email.
- Go minimal. Consider this an opportunity to KonMari your Kickstarter rewards.
- Get a social shout-out. Use the hashtag #backeditbecause to let people know why you supported a particular project. We just might retweet you!
Your support makes independent creative work possible
You’ve probably seen our message that Kickstarter is not a store; it’s a way to help bring creative projects to life. When you back a project on Kickstarter, you're helping to bring new creative work into the world—work that might never exist without your support.
Many creators use Kickstarter because they want complete independence, free from creative interference, or because industry gatekeepers have overlooked their work. Your support lets creators make the work they want to make, exactly the way they want to make it.
Join us in supporting creative work for its own sake this holiday season. Use the hashtag #backeditbecause on social media to let everyone know what projects you’re supporting and why they’re important to you.
- Support Creative Work for Its Own Sake. Back It Because You Believe in It.
- Product Upgrade: Create and Share a Project Budget
- Moor Mother, Lightning Bolt, Stroom, and Príncipe Know That When It Comes to Creative Disciplines, More Is More
- Bluetooth or Wi-Fi: Which Is Best for Your Project?
- When to Move from Hobby Boards to a Product-Specific Custom Solution