Project Synergy: A Filmmaker Sources Musopen
Share this post
Back in September of last year, Musopen successfully raised funds to record and release classical music into the public domain. One month later, LA filmmaker Joel Maguen launched a small project to fund his short film House Painting, and what resulted was a delightful synergy of the two: Maguen was able to source free music for his soundtrack from Musopen, which he calls “a truly wonderful resource,” and the melodies he found are a beautiful complement to his narrative.
Take a moment to watch this in full screen (above). The story follows Larry, a young boy who finds a spiritual guide in a chain-smoking, hard-living house painter named Dade Smith. It’s a fantastic mash-up of lyrical terracotta undertones and comedic operatic epiphanies, beginning with windswept plains and ending with an underage PBR toast and a dirty little “secret.” Totally charming.
- Support Creative Work for Its Own Sake. Back It Because You Believe in It.
- Product Upgrade: Create and Share a Project Budget
- Moor Mother, Lightning Bolt, Stroom, and Príncipe Know That When It Comes to Creative Disciplines, More Is More
- Document This! 14 Kickstarted Films to Watch at DOC NYC This Month
- Kickstarter Joins 50+ Companies Going ‘Climate Neutral’