We thought it would be nice to introduce ourselves. So every now and then, a couple members of the Kickstarter team will be saying hello, and picking out a few projects — past or present, successful or not — that they're especially fond of. (They will also be posing for GIFs. The GIFs are mandatory.)
This week, meet Megan and Brandon:
Megan McFerren (@meganistkrieg)
Job: "I help backers, creators, and visitors with questions about using Kickstarter, and help moderate conversations between the whole community. (Can I call my banhammer Mjölnir?)"
- Elixirs of Pain — "I'm a hot sauce junkie and have backed more of those projects than probably anything else. Habaneros? Easy. Ghost peppers? Delicious. Trinidad moruga scorpion? Now you're talking! It's always exciting to see what new flavor profiles people create to singe my tastebuds to oblivion, and Elixirs of Pain was one of the first I backed and surprised me with the best hot sauce I've ever tasted in my life. I even got to meet the creator and pick up my bottles in person, when I found out he worked right around the corner from me!"
- Civil War Embalming Living History Demonstration — "I worked in funeral service before coming to Kickstarter, and love that Kickstarter exists to help little projects like this to come to life. The Civil War was truly the second 'golden age' of embalming and there were countless fascinating developments during that time that still influence how we attend the dead today. And the fact that this will be a period re-enactment just makes it that much better."
- Three Day Hangover's Freaking Awesome 2014 Season — "Three Day Hangover's 'Drunk Shakespeare' productions are some of the best live theater moments I've had living in New York City. I've dueled in flip cup alongside Hamlet and Laertes, and battled by way of beer pong with the Capulets and the Montagues, so a season subscription was a must-do. Up next they're doing Drunkle Vanya and I can't wait!"
- Jotun — "Just funded! A beautifully stylized game about a Viking warrior who has to battle her way through frost giants and monsters using magical runes and a big freakin' axe, to prove herself to the Gods and enter Valhalla. I'm covered in Norse-themed tattoos and studied Germanic literature in university, so there is not a word of that description that could make me throw money at the screen faster to support this game!"
Brandon Williams (@mbrandonw)
- T-Rex — "I’ve backed more film projects than any other category, and this one is my favorite. A documentary about a girl from Flint, Michigan who won gold in the first ever Women’s Boxing event at the Summer Olympics. We followed all of her matches at the office."
- Damn Fine Coffee! — "Twin Peaks is one of my favorite shows ever, and this compilation of fan art speaks to me. I still pick it up every once in awhile and flip through it."
- Open Well-Tempered Clavier — "A recording of Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier, released for free as public domain. There have been similar projects for more of Bach’s pieces, as well as Chopin."
- Dark Side of the Moon on Cello — "I’ve listened to this dozens of times. It’s on Rdio and Spotify. You should go listen to it now."