Kickstarter in the UK
Share this post
Today Kickstarter is officially open to projects in the UK. Woohoo!
We’re thrilled that Kickstarter is landing on another shore, and we can’t wait to see what creative projects our friends in the UK will launch — films, art, games, albums, plays, performances, and much more.
Since our announcement three weeks ago that people in the UK could begin building projects, more than 1,500 people have started making one. Already several dozen UK projects have launched today (this was the first). It’s an exciting response.
Projects in the UK function just like every other Kickstarter project, with a few small differences. Let’s go over how it works.
Can people outside the UK pledge to UK projects?
Yes! Backers from anywhere in the world can pledge to any project on Kickstarter.
Is there a UK-specific Kickstarter site?
No. UK-based projects are listed alongside all of the other Kickstarter projects. Backers can check out UK projects specifically through the location sections of the Kickstarter homepage (the first row of projects under Staff Picks) and the Discover page (the Cities area in the sidebar).
What currency are UK projects listed in?
Projects from UK-based creators are listed in pounds sterling. If you are pledging from outside the UK, you will see the approximate conversion rate to US dollars before you complete your pledge.
Is backing a UK project similar to backing other projects?
The mechanics of Kickstarter (all-or-nothing funding, rewards, etc.) are identical for US and UK projects. When pledging, however, backers to UK projects enter their payment information directly on Kickstarter rather than through Amazon Payments. All pledges are processed securely through a third-party payments processor.
Are the fees for UK and US projects the same?
As in the US, Kickstarter will charge a 5% fee to successfully funded projects and no fee to unsuccessfully funded projects in the UK.
Payment processing fees for UK projects are similar to those for US projects. For UK projects, the processing fees are:
- Pledges of £10 or greater are charged 3% + £0.20
- Pledges less than £10 are charged a discounted micropledge fee of 5% + £0.05
If a project is not successfully funded, there are no fees.
We had planned to be in London this week to celebrate our launch but Hurricane Sandy had other ideas. We will be in London the week of November 12, however, with a couple of events on how to create your own Kickstarter project. We'll be posting more details about that soon, so stay tuned! Thanks!
- How Kickstarter Creators Are Coping with the Coronavirus
- Kickstarter y el Festival Internacional de Cine de Guanajuato presentan 12 proyectos cinematográficos dirigidos por estudiantes universitarios en México
- Kickstarter and Guanajuato International Film Festival to Feature 12 Student-Led Film Projects in Mexico
- How to Participate in Signs of Change, Kickstarter’s Upcoming Open Call
- Mexican Game Designer Héctor Pérez Funded Four Games on Kickstarter—Here Are His Tips for International Campaigns