Kickstarter in Canada: The First Month!
Share this post
On Sept. 9, Kickstarter opened to projects from Canada-based creators for the first time. Let’s have a look at what’s happened since.
Total Pledged to Projects from Canada-Based Creators: $3,266,682 CAD ($3,152,851 USD)
Total Unique Backers: 47,213
Launched Projects: 301
Successfully Funded Projects: 19
The $3.2 million CAD that has been pledged so far works out to $75.61 CAD in pledges each minute.
Most of the 301 projects that have launched are still funding, but 19 have already been successfully funded! The successfully funded projects include Little Free Libraries in British Columbia and New Brunswick, a sequel to a beloved video game, a film that launched during the Toronto International Film Fest, and, yes, even a hockey stick! The biggest project to date has been The Peachy Printer, a 3D printer and scanner project out of Saskatchewan, which has raised over $583,295 CAD, more than 1,167% of its goal, since it launched. (The project ends in 10 days.)
Creators in all 10 Canadian provinces have launched projects, from British Columbia to Newfoundland. You can see all Canada-based projects here.
Nearly 50,000 people have backed a project from a Canada-based creator. Where are those backers? Here's a breakdown:
Backers in Canada: 22%
US backers: 44%
Other places: 34%
To date, 22% of backers have come from within Canada and 78% from outside of it. Projects from Canada-based creators are finding support from local backers and being discovered by people all around the world. (For US projects, it’s the opposite: 78% of backers have been from the US and 22% from outside of it.)
We're thrilled by the success of these creators and their backers, and by the fact that an incredible array of new creative works is already coming to life. Congratulations to all of them, and cheers!
- How Kickstarter Creators Are Coping with the Coronavirus
- Kickstarter y el Festival Internacional de Cine de Guanajuato presentan 12 proyectos cinematográficos dirigidos por estudiantes universitarios en México
- Kickstarter and Guanajuato International Film Festival to Feature 12 Student-Led Film Projects in Mexico
- How to Participate in Signs of Change, Kickstarter’s Upcoming Open Call
- Mexican Game Designer Héctor Pérez Funded Four Games on Kickstarter—Here Are His Tips for International Campaigns