Jay Bennett RIP
Share this post
Some sad news to report. The musician Jay Bennett, a guitarist, keyboardist and singer, died yesterday in his sleep. Jay was most well-known for his work in the band Wilco, particularly on the Being There, Summer Teeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot albums. He was a very important creative force in that band for such a significant period of time; Jeff Tweedy has always been at his best with a foil, and Jay was a formidable one.
Since leaving Wilco, Jay has continued making music: five albums in the past five years, the most recent of which, Whatever Happened I Apologize, just went up as a Kickstarter project this past week. Our condolences go out to Bennett’s friends and family, and to the fellow fans out there.
Earlier this month, Bennett made headlines when he sued former bandmate Jeff Tweedy for breach of contract stemming from unpaid royalties; in a post on his MySpace blog shortly before the news of the lawsuit came out, Bennett blogged about upcoming hip replacement surgery and his work on his long-in-the-works album Kicking at the Perfumed Air.
Jay was 45 years old.
- 12 Kickstarter-Funded Films to Premiere at the 2018 Tribeca Film Festival
- Take a Seat, Play Some Games: Come to Kickstarter’s Couchland at PAX East
- Granby Workshop: Rebuilding a Neighborhood Through Creative Projects
- Product Upgrades: Creator Dashboard on Android, and More
- Open Call: Apply to Become a Kickstarter Creator-in-Residence This Summer