In the Studio with Jolby
Share this post
Artists Josh and Colby have been working side-by-side for so long that they claim to “have formed a single brain in the process.” The condition might be a challenge biologically speaking, but it’s been nothing but a boon to their collaborative spirit. The two friends have run Portland-based design and illustration studio Jolby since 2005, creating everything from album art to apparel and handmade cards. “The King’s 6th Finger” — an idiosyncratic children’s tale about a cruel king obsessed with the number five — will mark their first foray into publishing, and their Kickstarter project will help them get there.
During a recent email exchange, Josh reveals that the concept for the story came to them in a dream…literally. “[Colby] woke up one day with the first rhyme of the book in his head and ended up with a poem called ‘The King’s 6th Finger,’” he explains. “Years later, we asked Rachel Roellke to take a look at it and help out with some editing. She immediately saw a much longer, more complex story, and built the poem into a full-length children’s book.”
We love it! And we love the mini video tour of the Jolby studio they sent over (above), along with some sample pages from the book-in-progress. Check ‘em out! You can support their ongoing project here.
- Apply to Become a Kickstarter Creator-in-Residence this Spring
- What You’ll Hear on Kickstarter’s New Podcast, ‘Just the Beginning’
- 2018 Was a Record-Breaking Year for Games on Kickstarter
- Oriana Leckert Joins Kickstarter to Encourage Experimentation in Journalism Funding
- These Kickstarter-Funded Films Are Headed to the 2019 Sundance Film Festival