How to Host Your Own Kickstarter Film Fest
Share this post
The fourth annual Kickstarter Film Fest begins July 18 in Brooklyn, with more screenings to come in Los Angeles and London. Can’t make any of those? No problem! The Kickstarter Film Fest can also swing by … your house! To learn how to screen the whole program for yourself and your friends, just watch the video above. (Go ahead, we’ll wait.)
For reference, here's just about everything you’ll need to have a great DIY fest of your own:
- A thing to watch on. A computer works great. A big-screen TV is even better. And if it’s nice where you are, you can get a projector, go outside, and watch the festival on a great big white sheet or a wall.
- A thing to sit on. Chairs are cool, but the thing you sit on can also be the ground. If it’s the ground and there’s grass, maybe get a blanket involved, so your clothes don’t stain.
- Popcorn (optional). To get popcorn, basically just apply heat to some unpopped popcorn kernels. A little oil helps. Some people like to add butter and salt.
- Beverages. Popcorn can be salty, especially if you salt it. Keep a delicious beverage handy! (This is not optional because it’s actually pretty important to stay hydrated.)
- People who you like who maybe enjoy films. One thing we’ve learned at Kickstarter is that the world is full of terrific people who enjoy watching films while sitting on things and holding delicious beverages. You probably know some. You’re probably related to a few! Get them in the mix. The more the merrier.
- This link. You'll have to wait until July 18th before you use it — but once everything’s ready, you'll be able to head right here and get started. Have fun, and thanks for helping all these great films come to life!