Break Tradition. Break Habit. Break Expectations. Break Kickstarter.
Share this post
Your work takes risks. Your project can, too.
Over the past 10 years the Kickstarter community has learned a thing or two about how to develop and run a Kickstarter campaign. This July, we invite you to rethink everything with Break Kickstarter.
Stretch the limits of our platform
Break Kickstarter is an initiative supporting unconventional campaigns, running from July 15 to August 15. You’re invited to play with the structure or concept of running a campaign, and stretch the limits of our platform. Take it apart, put it back together, and try something new.
Experimentation can lead to new ideas and new ways of seeing. By reimagining the very components of Kickstarter’s platform, we hope that you’ll discover new ways to find support for your work and to connect with the people who love it.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Turn project updates into a choose-your-own-adventure experience.
- Design your project page in a way you’ve never seen before—tell your story only in emoji or images.
- Create packaging and shipping materials that become an essential part of the work—or the work itself.
- Make reward tiers an opportunity for backers to unlock a new element of your project, like a new character in your comic or player in your game.
- Turn your project video into a web series that backers can revisit each day.
How to get involved
To take part in Break Kickstarter, create a project that reinterprets the basic components of a traditional campaign. Add “Break Kickstarter” to your project title, and launch your project anytime between July 15 and August 15, 2019.
We’ll celebrate Break Kickstarter projects through July and August in newsletters, on our site, and on social media. Until then, stay tuned for updates and inspiration for those planning their projects along the way.
Note: Keep in mind that we're asking you to break convention—not our rules. Only projects that follow Kickstarter's rules and guidelines will be considered for Break Kickstarter. Contact email@example.com if you have any questions about what’s possible or when/how to launch your campaign.
- Kickstarter and Social Art Network Team Up to Support UK Artists
- Guidance on Crafting an Honest and Clearly Presented Project
- Kickstarter Teams Up with the École Nationale Supérieure de la Photographie to Highlight 5 Projects from Emerging Photographers
- Break Tradition. Break Habit. Break Expectations. Break Kickstarter.
- Kickstarter Is Now Available in Chinese and Italian