Best Documentary Film Project
Share this post
Just as the three iconoclastic founders of The Pirate Bay were preparing to appeal their conviction in a Swedish court, a fellow Swede named Simon Klose launched a Kickstarter project to tell their story. Memorably pitched from the back of a rickshaw winding through Cambodian city streets, Klose’s approach to The Pirate Bay eschews the moral debates and focuses instead on the story of its creators. The film itself is still in progress, but Klose’s campaign, which more than doubled its $25,000 goal, was a remarkable standout.
Honorable Mention: Among the many outstanding documentary films that graced Kickstarter in 2010 were Indie Game: The Movie, a lovely study of game developers and their stories; Trash Dance, a moving documentary about a very unlikely dance piece in Austin, Texas; and Chess Movie, about a Brooklyn middle school’s standout chess program.
- Welcoming Camilla Zhang to Kickstarter’s Publishing & Comics Team
- Join us for Kickstarter’s Summer of Poetry
- New: Watch for the Hardware Studio Badge on Projects
- Introducing Kickstarter’s New Director of Music — Meredith Graves
- Exploring a “Totally Virtual Ecosystem” with DiMoDA and The Creative Independent